Live on the Apex March 18-25, 2023

garyl62

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

garyl62 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Well I'm starting out with good intentions, but will admit I won't be making this my main focus on the trip although I'll try to share enough to keep everyone interested and help out with some info along the way.

DW and I are in late 50's early 60's and are sailing for the first time in an Edge class ship and traveling to Key West, Belize, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.  We've been to most of these before (Belize is new for us) so we plan to have a good mix of port visits, but also intend to stay onboard to enjoy the "Apex Floating Resort".  We have a Celebrity Suite, and hope to enjoy the Retreat Lounge and Deck, but also seek out some other places on board to enjoy and relax.  We enjoy Luminae, but also look for a little more variety so we have reservations at Fine Cut, Eden (twice) and Dinner on the Edge and we're looking forward to trying Le Grand Bistro and Eden for lunch too.

Finishing up our packing tonight, fly from ORD to MIA tomorrow and are staying at the AC by Marriott in Fort Lauderdale Beach Friday night.  We're looking forward to some time away and hope you'll enjoy following along!

• Like 19

Looking forward to following along! We were torn between this cruise and the one on Millennium departing from San Juan on March 25th. In the end, Millie won but we are very keen to experience an Edge class ship and will enjoy your updates, whenever you have time to share. Happy and Safe Travels!

Thanks for the replies and interest from all of you, finished up packing and taking care of all of our check-ins and paperwork review last night. Getting ready to head out to O'Hare in a couple hours when the trip will finally begin! I will post an update when I have more to share about our travel experience today and plans for tonight.

• Like 1

Guest CunucuMom

Looking forward to following along.  Have a safe and uneventful flight; Florida weather is beautiful today!

Well it was a little longer travel day than we anticipated.  To say everyone the details, ORD was a breeze, 8 minuties from curb, to the Admirals Club including checking bags and TSA!  However due to congestion in MIA our flight was delayed and we ended up over 1.5 hours late arriving in MIA.  Then traffic took an hour 20 to get to our hotel.  We had a reservation at Lona Cocina Tequileria and got there a half hour late but they still had a table for us overlooking the beach so we ended the day with a nice dinner and margaritas.

One thing we forgot about when we booked our room was the spring break crowd in Fort Lauderdale.  I thought it would be a nice afternoon/evening with an ocean view room, dinner overlooking the ocean and a good way to start our trip.  The view is there, but so are a lot of college kids enjoying their time down here as well!  The AC by Marriott is a new nice hotel and it seems to be slightly away from the party zone so we think it will be a quiet night still.

I'll try to post some photos after we board, connection between the phone and computer didn't sync up right away tonight so I'll look into it tomorrow.  We have a 11:00 boarding time so planning to get an Uber around 10:30.  Thanks for the encouragement so far, looking forward to boarding our first Edge Class ship in just over 12 hours!

• Like 10

Have a wonderful trip.  We'll be on April 1 also in a CS, so your report will be especially helpful to us.  We were on Edge last year.  My tip / PSA, if it interests you try out the Eden Cafe on the sea days as soon as you remember, or pass by.  It's often closed.  And, plug for lunch at Luminae (also sea days) as it was a bit more chill than during dinner. 

Hey Gary!  Don’t damage the ship too much. Try to leave it in good health for when we take over on the 25th!  Interested in the boarding process since I’ll be herding a pack of 9 cats with me!  Once I get them on the ship, they are Celebrity’s responsibility!  🤪

Just watched the ship come in on the Port Everglades webcam. Can’t wait!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here are a couple photos.

American terminal at O'Hare at 10:00 on Friday of Spring Break week

20230317_101216_resized.thumb.jpg.89a1d6e9bae29417969a3e5ae3dc6a7e.jpg

Lona Cocina, fish tacos and lobster quesadilla for dinner at a table on the rail with the beach and ocean in the background

20230317_205150.thumb.jpg.1d5339f490ee4f32c1aaf7fafef4507c.jpg20230317_201522_resized.thumb.jpg.515f93287fdb30b92648766e3562ceff.jpg20230317_201534_resized.thumb.jpg.eac50bd2b3c28f11f1545754895c8c76.jpg20230317_200755_resized.thumb.jpg.157a4b6f5376d662a140a27b975aa532.jpg

Edited by garyl62
  • Like 12