Celebrity at a crossroads

JLS07

4 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That's a little harsh.  In my updated copy of the CC dictionary.   Cheerleaders = People who ignore many obvious flaws because they want to validate their own decision to sail on a particular cruise line.  Haters = Anyone that disagrees with me.

So this is funny. I am a cheerleader because the Magic Carpet is one of my top 2 favorite spots on any ship to chill out, proper promenade deck with chairs to sit out on and a full loop around the ship is #1, but at the same time I am a hater because I know I disagree with you;) 

• Haha 3

On 3/20/2023 at 11:47 AM, JLS07 said:

If you have considered moving from Celebrity due to the drop in quality, which lines did you consider as a replacement?

We have been with Viking a few times and loved them.  Were on Constellation starting March 6 and found our balcony stateroom looking quite sad.  The food was OK but there was a lack of staff to serve and they were rushing around.  We were told that Viking took many of them.

The real downside was that Covid ran rampant, as did Norovirus.  We were to be on a back-to-back but had to leave in Tampa after the first leg.  Missed our flight home due to a delay in getting passengers off the ship.

We had been on Viking in 2022 for 4 weeks and stayed healthy.

Enough said.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Canadian Sunset said:

We have been with Viking a few times and loved them.  Were on Constellation starting March 6 and found our balcony stateroom looking quite sad.  The food was OK but there was a lack of staff to serve and they were rushing around.  We were told that Viking took many of them.

The real downside was that Covid ran rampant, as did Norovirus.  We were to be on a back-to-back but had to leave in Tampa after the first leg.  Missed our flight home due to a delay in getting passengers off the ship.

We had been on Viking in 2022 for 4 weeks and stayed healthy.

Enough said.

For a transatlantic Nov 2023 cruise Viking is about double what my Celebrity Always included TA .

is Viking twice as good ? 

7 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

For a transatlantic Nov 2023 cruise Viking is about double what my Celebrity Always included TA .

The Viking TAs I looked at had very few ports.  I sail on TAs for the sea days but also for 4-6 European ports.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

We doing the Conny TA in Nov / 23 ,for 1/2 the price of the Viking with 2 more days 

IMG_2072.png

That is the kind of itinerary I look at for a TA.  My friend just got off a Viking TA.  TWO ports.  St. Maarten and Funchal.  

13 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

That is the kind of itinerary I look at for a TA.  My friend just got off a Viking TA.  TWO ports.  St. Maarten and Funchal.  

We’ve done the Viking TAs twice.  The second time was in March 2020.  We were mid-Atlantic when they closed all of the ports and declared the pandemic.  The ship turned around and headed back to the US, and by the time we arrived they had secured all of us flights, regardless of whether we were going to US, Canada, UK, or in one case, Poland.

The first cruise was St. Maarten, Funchal, Valencia and one other.

Been sailing Celebrity several times a year for a very long time - until Covid. Heading back out soon -

At any rate, we avoid some itineraries based on the time of year - like the Caribbean during Spring Break - 

Don’t think Iceland and Greenland cruises for example attack the same demographics 

1 hour ago, Canadian Sunset said:

In my opinion they are, but I’m older and pickier.

That is a weird comment ,

what does age and being grumpy have to do with it 

I find with age I am more forgiving but I do know a lot of pickier Canucks but I avoid them in now 😁

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Midpacpl said:

Been sailing Celebrity several times a year for a very long time - until Covid. Heading back out soon -

At any rate, we avoid some itineraries based on the time of year - like the Caribbean during Spring Break - 

Don’t think Iceland and Greenland cruises for example attack the same demographics 

We did a RCL Arctic TA only about 20 kids on the ship , I bet your Iceland / Greenland cruise will be fantastic 

It has been a long time since I have replied on CC but I have a different perspective now and thought I would share.  My DH and I are now Semi-Retired (finally).  So we have had the opportunity to do longer cruises.  We just returned from 43 days at sea.  We did the Crown Princess 15 day to Hawaii, then the next day got on the Emerald Princess and did the 14 Day Panama Canal then stayed on the ship and did a 14 day Caribbean.  All of these cruises had an older vibe, we were among the younger crowd at 59 and 57.  There were less than 20 kids on all 3 cruises.  Each cruise had a different vibe, it was amazing to me how much different the people were on each cruise.  There was even so much difference in the 2 ships.  So my suggestion to the OP is to try a different itinerary, different ship, different length, and different time of year.  All 3 of these can play into the vibe of the guests on the ship. Don't give up on your cruise line yet.   We are getting ready next year to try Celebrity for the first time.  We have been on 30+ cruises with Princess, Carnival, Royal & NCL and so we hope we will be good first time cruisers on Celebrity.  

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, indiaksue said:

It has been a long time since I have replied on CC but I have a different perspective now and thought I would share.  My DH and I are now Semi-Retired (finally).  So we have had the opportunity to do longer cruises.  We just returned from 43 days at sea.  We did the Crown Princess 15 day to Hawaii, then the next day got on the Emerald Princess and did the 14 Day Panama Canal then stayed on the ship and did a 14 day Caribbean.  All of these cruises had an older vibe, we were among the younger crowd at 59 and 57.  There were less than 20 kids on all 3 cruises.  Each cruise had a different vibe, it was amazing to me how much different the people were on each cruise.  There was even so much difference in the 2 ships.  So my suggestion to the OP is to try a different itinerary, different ship, different length, and different time of year.  All 3 of these can play into the vibe of the guests on the ship. Don't give up on your cruise line yet.   We are getting ready next year to try Celebrity for the first time.  We have been on 30+ cruises with Princess, Carnival, Royal & NCL and so we hope we will be good first time cruisers on Celebrity.  

Wonderful start to your semi-retirement!  If you don't mind answering....Which cruise had which vibe.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Wonderful start to your semi-retirement!  If you don't mind answering....Which cruise had which vibe.

The vibe was very different on the Caribbean, more of a party atmosphere, the Hawaii was the most laid back.  

Edited by indiaksue
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I have continued to buy the product and enjoy the presentation. Despite the imperfections and occasional minor issues, Celebrity is still my first cruise line of choice. Perhaps this change will eventually serve to bring back the cruisers who seek satisfaction elsewhere. Perhaps it’s that crossroads thing.

Maybe you could share the Koolaid with the rest of us 🙂 🙂🙂 

If the product  increases the cruisers will be back.  Not so far...

Waiting on a real balcony ...

My recollection is that this is something that AHEM even Carnival has?

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:07 AM, RichYak said:

An honest opinion is an honest opinion, whether positive or negative.

OMG a cheerleader will say that it was the best cruise ever even when the ship is sinking or the OVC has tumbleweeds.  OMG!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OMG a cheerleader will say that it was the best cruise ever even when the ship is sinking or the OVC has tumbleweeds.  OMG!

I have seen Viking enthusiasts even defend its policy of sometimes requiring full payment two years in advance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We have been sailing with RC and  X and have tried other mid level cruise lines but prefer Celebrity.

just got back from our first Azamara cruise (15 night Japan intensive).

we were in a window cabin as April in Japan would not have us spending much time on a Balcony. The Cruise itself was great but the window and balcony cabins are small with small closets and bathrooms and the tiniest showers I have ever experienced on any cruise ships.

our cabin was affected by strange mechanical screeching noise at night that the staff said they would “look into” but never acted on. guests on one side of us said they had the same experience.

Also the 30K ton ships are tossed around a lot more than Celebrities 90-120k ton ships so my wife was more affected by motion sickness than on any of our other 30+ cruises.

The Itinerary was great and the service and food were excellent.

For double what we pay for a Celebrity cruise It was not Twice the value so I doubt we will do another Azamara cruise.

Now for those with funds to do Suites You will probably love Azamara .

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, Crazy planning mom said:

Posts like these worry me.  We are only going on our 2nd Celebrity cruise next year and we are taking family who have never sailed Celebrity before.  I am overweight although I can certainly stand.  My family members do enjoy drinking and smoking.  We are nice people.  Will we be judged and given nasty looks?

Don't worry. People who book cruises during school holiday breaks, or any holiday, are going to encounter crowns and rude people and kids. We sailed Celebrity last September, not during any type of holiday, and it was wonderful. Couldn't have asked for a better cruise, and we cruise a lot.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 10:47 AM, JLS07 said:

Eating as much fried this or that as physically possible all while barely able to stand,

Can you explain the reason you needed to call out what people were eating or how much, with the implication that the weight was what was causing them to barely be able to stand?  Are those people not up to the "quality" you expected?  I sincerely hope that was misworded and insulting overweight people was not your intent.

Edited by phoenix_dream

On 4/7/2023 at 1:15 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I took a Viking TA and it was,IMO much better than Celebrity. The speakers were really outstanding. Speakers were one time excellent on Celebrity, but the quality has slipped. Remember the Viking price includes excursions and free specialty restaurants. There are also free drinks and a self service laundry. The ships are also smaller and I guess what you chose is according to your preference. You really can't go wrong with either, it's just what you prefer.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:02 AM, jonthomas said:

Just got off the Viking, two ports itin...will never sail V again....all probably know why, but if you still want reasons, I will be happy to oblige.

On 4/7/2023 at 11:14 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

Please tell us.  What didn't you like?  

X2