QM2 Refit? Refresh?

Mudhen

Clarification why the 'HALF bottle/s of Pol Acker ;

The other month whilst I was onboard Cunard, I was determined to get to the bottom of this new concept of 'These Half Bottles' . Speaking with F&B manager and Snr Housekeeping  it appears ( apparently this came from guest feedback 🤷‍♂️ )  Two half bottles over a 'couple of days', during a lengthy itinerary are more welcome than a large bottle, I understand this feed back came from the many 'solo guests' who I expect were unable to consume a large bottle  without it loosing it's fizz 🤦‍♂️  lol 

I wouldn't know, I've never touched the stuff .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MCC retired said:

For many years , the bottle of Pol Acker was the subject of jokes and undrinkability comments .

Seems now that the bottles are half of their original size , everyone is upset?

Your are correct, 👍  and not only that !  during the first few weeks when Cunard returned back to regular service in 2021, due to the pandemic and shortage of supply and demand  there was an uproar when they were not delivered' to every stateroom on Embarkation Day.

Have to admit, I was one who often questioned this to the cabin steward,  even though I've never touched the stuff. 😅   

On 11/30/2023 at 1:41 PM, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

We will be happy with two half bottles as we drink it only as an additive to orange juice in morning mimosas.

The full bottle was never an issue with me since I travel with lever-actuated stoppers to recline still or bubbly wine bottles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Did anyone get to the bottom of what went on with Deck 8 . Clearly cabins were removed was this a trial for a future refit or was it done for access to other equipment? I’m guessing cabins on deck 8 port side Aft were the ones taken out anybody got any information?

I walked all round deck 8 corridors and looked in the Verandah and could see no difference whatsoever except new carpet on the floors. No new exit to deck 8.

15 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Did anyone get to the bottom of what went on with Deck 8 . Clearly cabins were removed was this a trial for a future refit or was it done for access to other equipment? I’m guessing cabins on deck 8 port side Aft were the ones taken out anybody got any information?

I wonder if it might have been to give better access for maintenance work on some of the lifeboat derricks?

It looked as if most of the lifeboats/tenders were removed whilst in Rotterdam.

21 hours ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

It all seems to have been put back in its original condition. I think the affected staterooms are occupied this week (there was a mobility device outside one of them, which suggested the room was occupied).

2 hours ago, Underwatr said:

It all seems to have been put back in its original condition. I think the affected staterooms are occupied this week (there was a mobility device outside one of them, which suggested the room was occupied).

All in the same position , but all new staterooms like those on deck 13.

On 12/2/2023 at 11:50 PM, transatlantic fan said:

All in the same position , but all new staterooms like those on deck 13.

Aha so must have been a trial to see how long it takes to do a swap for improved cabins? how many improved cabins are there and what are the stateroom numbers? Maybe I can find out from the 15th when we board just got to ask a steward I guess...

Guest SilverHengroen
1 minute ago, Liberal_Baggie said:

Aha so must have been a trial to see how long it takes to do a swap for improved cabins? how many improved cabins are there and what are the stateroom numbers? Maybe I can find out from the 15th when we board just got to ask a steward I guess...

If you mean they're testing with the aim of doing it wholesale on all 1350 or so suites and cabins, I don't know, that seems like an excessively costly and time consuming exercise when a much smaller amount of work would likely serve to give a similar lift. Refurbing the bathrooms (which do admittedly look a little beige and dated, though perfectly serviceable) and giving the cabins new soft furnishings would likely make the rooms feel as-new, and for a fraction of the cost. They already did a fairly extensive update of cabin furnishings in 2016, and they still look good. 

I don't know if any comparable level of refurbishment has ever been done to a ship previously? I know QE2 had almost archaeological layers of various refit works by the end of her career, but this was mostly public spaces. The cabins received work to various extents, but AFAIK this was in phases throughout her working life, not all at once. This makes me think the deck 8 work was more likely a structural or mechanical issue they couldn't access without removing the cabins, or something with the cabins themselves (plumbing, electrics, HVAC?). 

They can only do stateroom replacement on decks 8 or higher and mostly balcony anyway. The lower levels would entail cutting into the hull and interior rooms would entail pulling a lot more stuff out. I would guess the deck 8 work was aimed at accessing wiring and or pipe/duct work. The staterooms can be refurbished in place as described earlier. 

I've heard (and seen) lots about the refit, but have little to no info on the Red Lion....little blip on the video. Is the menu the same? What about draft beers? Beer menu? 

Anyone out there have any new info?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I'm sitting in the Golden Lion as I type and I can't see any differences. The draft (draught) beer list is a bit less "English" than I remember - Foster's, Marston's Pedigree, Heineken, Moretti, Shipyard Pale Ale and Guinness alongside the three Cunard drafts.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Ah duh….

I meant the Golden Lion 

Not familiar with Moretti, but will give it a try.!

With Guinness on tap, I don’t need much more!

Cold Italian beers are underrated. Definitely give Moretti a try. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, transatlantic fan said:

Forgot to say the new rooms also have the very nice glass shower bathrooms. 

You can also tell the new rooms as the stateroom doors are a matt wood.

I'm surprised that you haven't any photos for us . By the way, are these 'so called new cabins' at a premium .