?s Regarding various things on Quantum OTS

We’ll be doing an Alaskan cruise on the Quantum with family members. I have a number of questions after having read many posts and reviews about the ship. 

1.  Are the main shows always performed twice a night? If so, what are the times? Or do they jump around like on the Oasis class? 

2.   How limited are the hours for bumper cars, roller skating, I fly and Northstar?  (I’ve seen different prices for Northstar &  I fly ranging from $15 pp to $30 pp! Except free on port days, heavily booked, and long wait lines.)

3.    I understand the menus in the four main, free dining rooms are all the same. However, do the entrées and things change nightly or is there a lot of repetition? Are there certain specialties in each of these restaurants, each night that difference between the four restaurants? (We were recently on an E class ship on Celebrity that had the four dining room style. We did not like it at all and found the things served were very, very repetitive. Did not know Quantum had a similar dining style until after we had already booked it. ☹️)

4.      What did you think of the Royal Promenade style on the Quantum as compared to the Oasis and Voyager class ships?

5.       Did you like the shows? I understand there is no Broadway musical style show on the Quantum, even though Kinky Boots is on the Ovation. 

6.        If you had children or teens, did they enjoy the special activities & venues for their ages? 

Sorry for so many questions!  If you can only answer , one or some, of the questions, please do. Would greatly appreciate any helpful input.

1 hour ago, mlbcruiser said:

1.  Are the main shows always performed twice a night? If so, what are the times? Or do they jump around like on the Oasis class? 
2.   How limited are the hours for bumper cars, roller skating, I fly and Northstar?  (I’ve seen different prices for Northstar &  I fly ranging from $15 pp to $30 pp! Except free on port days, heavily booked, and long wait lines.)

3.    I understand the menus in the four main, free dining rooms are all the same. However, do the entrées and things change nightly or is there a lot of repetition? Are there certain specialties in each of these restaurants, each night that difference between the four restaurants? (We were recently on an E class ship on Celebrity that had the four dining room style. We did not like it at all and found the things served were very, very repetitive. Did not know Quantum had a similar dining style until after we had already booked it. ☹️)

4.      What did you think of the Royal Promenade style on the Quantum as compared to the Oasis and Voyager class ships?

5.       Did you like the shows? I understand there is no Broadway musical style show on the Quantum, even though Kinky Boots is on the Ovation. 
6.        If you had children or teens, did they enjoy the special activities & venues for their ages? 

The last time we were on the Quantum was last May to Alaska. You can scan through my live post from that cruise below for dailies, but it was still in the pandemic recovery at that time... things continue to evolve. 

1. Post #3 has the show schedule from our cruise. 

2. iFly sells out quickly. We had two North Star reservations cancelled because it was too windy. The Sea Plex has a lot of different activities, so there are only limited times things like bumper cars run (along with the fact that they need to be recharged). 

3. Menus have themes every night. You are assigned to one dining room to eat in. 

4. Similar Promenade. Gift shops that you never buy stuff in and a Sorentos. 

5. We liked the shows and even walked out of one to make a show in another theater. 

1 hour ago, mlbcruiser said:

I have been on the Ovation 3 times, and boarding again in a couple of days. Kinky Boots has never been on any of my sailings, and to my knowledge never has been.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Kinky Boots is on the Norwegian Encore.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

Would greatly appreciate any helpful input.

Many of the answers can be gleaned by browsing the app for the current sailing with the understanding some things may change a bit for Alaska.

Thanks everyone. I think some of the answers themselves to personal experience, or may be opinions. Just goes to show though don’t believe everything you read, lol. (I mean that in regard to the post I saw about kinky boots being on the Ovation.)

Shows were as late as 10:45 in the main theater. Check out the main dining rooms on YouTube for ambiance. The Grande is very nice, American Icon grill sucks in decor, the other two are so so. The Esplanade is a big disappointment compared to Oasis Class promenade, narrow and crowded. Long lines for bumper cars, on day two Northstar was sold out for the week, that was for both the free version and paid version.  Food on Ovation was absolutely fantastic, every venue every night. Three days after the Ovation cruise we were on Quantum, just the opposite every venue had the worst food of any cruise we have ever been on, the exception being all specialty were very good. . Vintages on both ships was always empty and the bartenders were above and beyond, great place for late night cocktails.  

• Like 1

Good to know, taglovestocruise. So glad to hear that some shows are late. Allows more time for dining and for those like us who have enough time to catch a breath after being on shore, yet still have a chance to hsve the hors d’oeuvres in the Diamond Lounge. On those nights with late shows we can have dinner yet not miss the show. (Since you said “some shows” I assume show times varied?) Still, 

not happy to hear the food was not good. ☹️

So many of the excursions and activities are sold out in advance. Must’ve been very disappointing for those who were excited about doing things like I fly, but didn’t know they had to reserve so fast. We’ve always loved the larger ships, but have to admit, the more passengers & cool activities they put on them, the more people are going to be unable to take advantage of some of them.

A big thanks for your reply!

8 hours ago, mlbcruiser said:

So many of the excursions and activities are sold out in advance. Must’ve been very disappointing for those who were excited about doing things like I fly, but didn’t know they had to reserve so fast. We’ve always loved the larger ships, but have to admit, the more passengers & cool activities they put on them, the more people are going to be unable to take advantage of some of them.

A big thanks for your reply!

Availability should open up for booking iFly and Northstar through the app once you are onboard and connected to the Wi-Fi. Try to book as soon as you get on board to have the best shot at getting the days/times you want.

2 minutes ago, mlbcruiser said:

Thanks for that very helpful information,     Newcruiser2012.  I was under the impression you could book it ahead of time like you can f for excursions and dining. 

You can book ahead of time as well, but they seem to hold back some availability for booking once on board. 

6 minutes ago, mlbcruiser said:

Thanks for that very helpful information,     Newcruiser2012.  I was under the impression you could book it ahead of time like you can f for excursions and dining. 

The pay versions for IFly and Northstar will be available ahead of time, but the free versions aren’t available until you board.

• Like 1

I sort of thought they might hold back a few spots until boarding day, but on a ship that large, unless you are in the earliest boarding groups, it would be easy to miss out pn noth remaining pay openings or free ones. I don’t know how long it takes to get someone, instructed, prepped, and to actually do their ride. So I wonder how many people will be able to ride each day. Have no idea what hours it would be open. Since Northstar holds more than one person, I would think they could process more people than the actual ride probably takes longer. Guess we’ll find out! 

By the way, we can’t do our registration on the app until mid May. Still, I tried to look up a number of things on the app, but other than shore excursions and the upgraded beverage package, couldn’t get activities or specialy restaurants to come up. Someone said to go through the website so will probably try that when I get a chance. Thanks again!

Twangster, thanks for that link again. I finally got it to open. Had trouble with it yesterday. I can see that some of the shows are repeated during the week as they are on the oasis class ships, and that the times vary among all the shows. That’s really helpful for planning dinner times. Thanks again!