Shorts in the Dining Room??

Shazambilo

1 hour ago, roadster08 said:

Elitism is not a concept top of mind for most average Americans. About only group I hear it applied to is to the very best athletes who are a world apart from everyone else.

It is important to respect cultural differences when visiting new places. It takes effort on both sides and sometimes that wall appears to be too steep to climb. 

I so agree.  Respect cultural differences.  When I visit a foreign country or even a friend's house, I truly strive to respect their local customs.  

I consider the MDR the home of the Maitre d' Hotel.  I'm the visitor.

Edited by tcdcruiser
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Princessfan20 said:

We choose Princess for their itineraries and could really care less what others are wearing. What we have viewed on Princess is that it is not as elegant as some like to pretend or gaslight others.  

Basically, it is a lot of mature people who either have really strange taste or old ill fitting clothes which use to look fairly good 10/15 years ago.   People wearing shorts in the dining room is really a very minor foul compared to what is really worn.  We have never seen anyone turned away for what they are wearing to the MDR and we have seen some very questionable garb.

Fantasize all you want that Princess ships are full of royals going to a gala ball.  It just is not true. Princess is way more about many other wonderful things than what people wear on elegant nights.

It's nice that's what you chose Princess for, but what does that have to do with anything?  I'm wondering where you saw the fantasy you cite (?)  It's a shame that you don't like what others wear when they're perhaps just trying to look nice the best they can, and go along with the rules of the cruise line they chose.

I've never seen anyone turned away either, but then I don't sit and watch at the entrance to see.  So what does that prove?

Most people act maturely and try to respect the rules and norms of the ship they chose to travel on.  Some think they make their own rules, like a spoiled kid.  Yep, to some it's all about "me".

Edited by Flyinby
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, tcdcruiser said:

I so agree.  Respect cultural differences.  When I visit a foreign country or even a friend's house, I truly strive to respect their local customs.  

I consider the MDR the home of the Maitre d' Hotel.  I'm the visitor.

So in that this is a Princess ship, the Maitre d'Hotel is a Princess employee, and Princess is based in Santa Clarita does that mean I should go as a Valley Girl & wear artfully torn holey jeans??? 😅🤣😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Ombud said:

JMHO20230327_175158.thumb.jpg.ff3037b2d9589edaecf30c969340502d.jpg

I wear the ones on the left with a IMO appropriate top & sandals to a nice restaurant here. So why not onboard??

The shorts on the left might be appropriate for older women but if a guy were to wear a similar length pair he just might get that look. 

I think I'll stick with the traditional shorts. 

3 hours ago, 555 said:

The shorts on the left might be appropriate for older women but if a guy were to wear a similar length pair he just might get that look. 

I think I'll stick with the traditional shorts. 

Also appropriate for the office in a dark neutral ....

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

"For evening dining, keep with what you would wear to a nice restaurant at home: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies, pants and open-neck shirts for men." 

In the UK, pants are women's undergarments.  Can't wait for some man expressing his individuality show up wearing women's knickers and and an open neck shirt.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

What about a Kilt?  Must say that it can be pretty formal. 

Kilt.jpg

Kilts are often seen on formal nights on cruises out of the UK and IMHO are perfectly acceptable. While I'm a second generation born-in-the-USA Yankee, my heritage before that is Clan Johnston and I'm all for wearing kilts. One of these days I'll spend the big bucks to get one and all the trimmings in my clan's tartan.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, odyssyus said:

Princess needs to evolve. Nothing wrong with the outfit below sitting down to enjoy a meal.  

Probably not, assuming wherever he sits down doesn't have a dress code that doesn't allow shorts, or requires collared shirts.  That's up to the owner of the restaurant to decide, not him.

5 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

Probably not, assuming wherever he sits down doesn't have a dress code that doesn't allow shorts, or requires collared shirts.  That's up to the owner of the restaurant to decide, not him.

true.. but plenty of upscale restaurants not imposing older antiquated dress codes to spend money on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

What about a Kilt?  Must say that it can be pretty formal. 

A kilt is ceremonial wear and considered equal to Black Tie along with Mess Dress for military.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 3

On 3/26/2023 at 8:42 AM, mtnesterz said:

Princess, relative to your previous cruises on RCI and Carnival, dress request is more traditional. 

I have personally seen men turned away from the Main Dining Room (MDR) for showing up in shorts.  The Princess website states that shorts, "are not welcome," in the dining room, though some will post they've gotten away with it.

This. We've seen men getting turned away too.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, Shazambilo said:

I am going on my 1st Princess cruise next month, after going on 40+ cruises on other lines.  Are shorts allowed in the dining room at night (other than formal night)?

On our recent Virgin Voyage, I did wear shorts for dinner in their private restraunts, nobody cared.  For some reason on Princes people get bent out of shape for wearing shorts! 

22 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

On our recent Virgin Voyage, I did wear shorts for dinner in their private restraunts, nobody cared.  For some reason on Princes people get bent out of shape for wearing shorts! 

People wear shorts all the time to the MDR on Princess ships and we have never seen anyone ever turned away for any kind of supposedly dress infraction.  

As a matter of fact in Club Class it seems like there is a lot of tolerance for a lax dress code and we have even seen people eat in overalls on formal night on an Alaska cruise last summer in Club Class.  

There are just a few purist on CC who think that Princess has this strict dress code and that if it is violated will result in a public humiliation, flogging and walking the plank for the perceived offender.  

It is much ado about nothing really.  Just enjoy the cruising and be yourself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, odyssyus said:

true.. but plenty of upscale restaurants not imposing older antiquated dress codes to spend money on.

I'm not sure where to go with this...for some reason, it just doesn't seem to register with some folks.

What "plenty of upscale restaurants" do has nothing to do with what happens in Princess' dining rooms.  There is no logic whatsoever that connects the two.

Princess states on their website in multiple places what the dress standard is for the dining rooms.  If you think it's silly, or antiquated, or ridiculous, then don't book a cruise on Princess. It's not complicated.

If you think it's silly, antiquated, or ridiculous but realize that when you booked you agreed to the rules they set on their ship,. then act like a mature human being and go by the rules until they change them, if they do.  Write 'em a letter, telling them you don't like the dress code, if it's that important to you.

But the third choice is the problem...book with Princess, knowing what their dress requirements are, and just figuring you'll ignore them because you don't like them.  These are the same people who disrupt flights, inconveniencing a whole plane full of people, because they're old spoiled brats that think "nobody's going to tell ME what I can do", regardless of whether they're on or in someone else's plane, boat, house, or whatever.

One thing that keeps coming up is people reporting they "saw someone in shorts in the dining room of ..."   What so many aren't understanding on this, is that nobody, including Princess employees, likes confrontations (well, most normal people anyway).  When given a choice between confronting someone who may have had a few drinks, or acts belligerent, or just acting like they "didn't see it", many will avoid the confrontation unless someone points it out or complains, and that is understandable.  But that doesn't mean it's OK, it just basically means no one wants to confront a spoiled brat who will probably make a scene if they don't have to.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

I'm not sure where to go with this...for some reason, it just doesn't seem to register with some folks.

What "plenty of upscale restaurants" do has nothing to do with what happens in Princess' dining rooms.  There is no logic whatsoever that connects the two.

Princess states on their website in multiple places what the dress standard is for the dining rooms.  If you think it's silly, or antiquated, or ridiculous, then don't book a cruise on Princess. It's not complicated.

If you think it's silly, antiquated, or ridiculous but realize that when you booked you agreed to the rules they set on their ship,. then act like a mature human being and go by the rules until they change them, if they do.  Write 'em a letter, telling them you don't like the dress code, if it's that important to you.

But the third choice is the problem...book with Princess, knowing what their dress requirements are, and just figuring you'll ignore them because you don't like them.  These are the same people who disrupt flights, inconveniencing a whole plane full of people, because they're old spoiled brats that think "nobody's going to tell ME what I can do", regardless of whether they're on or in someone else's plane, boat, house, or whatever.

One thing that keeps coming up is people reporting they "saw someone in shorts in the dining room of ..."   What so many aren't understanding on this, is that nobody, including Princess employees, likes confrontations (well, most normal people anyway).  When given a choice between confronting someone who may have had a few drinks, or acts belligerent, or just acting like they "didn't see it", many will avoid the confrontation unless someone points it out or complains, and that is understandable.  But that doesn't mean it's OK, it just basically means no one wants to confront a spoiled brat who will probably make a scene if they don't have to.

So those that wear shorts, are now disrupting flights (felony)?  Quite the leap there rule monitor..

• Haha 1