Canada New England Cruise - What Currency is needed

cgolf1

So to prepare for this cruise, how has everyone handled this? If we carry dollars will we get the right rate or will it be guestimated? 

The difficult thing is we have zero clue how much money that we will spend. Luckily we both have 1 card with no foreign transaction fees so we should be good for credit purchases. For stuff like stopping at a bar, Mug and Anchor, we would likely use cash. Not sure how many other things would require cash. 

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

We go to Canada fairly frequently and I’ve never run into a place that would take USD, why would they.  Just go to an ATM at the first port and get about 100 Canadian (approx $74 usd) and use your card for anything bigger.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

We go to Canada fairly frequently and I’ve never run into a place that would take USD, why would they.  Just go to an ATM at the first port and get about 100 Canadian (approx $74 usd) and use your card for anything bigger.

Many years ago when we crossed into Windsor from Detroit, they did. Honestly in the Caribbean they all accept Dollars even though that is not the currency there. So it is a fair question. 

I plan to hit the ATM and don’t convert at the machine. Let your bank convert. And use CC. 

years ago in Vancouver and whistler they took US dollars, but they GREATLY APPRECIATED local currently. I used to get my bank to get me $100 before I left, but the exchange rate in doing that is not advantageous, so really it’s just easier to hit a ATM, but when it gives you the two button choice of convert or don’t convert, it’s usually better to hit don’t convert. 

Edited by spleenstomper
  • Like 1

You can use US $ in Canada but the exchange rate will vary at different stores and outlets.  They have to “sell” it to the bank and allow for risk of difference in the exchange rates.

Just hit an ATM for some Canadian currency if you need it.  And when using your credit card, as already mentioned, just pay in the currency (don’t choose convert) where you are and let your CC do the exchange.

• Like 2

Since the pandemic, I rarely carry or use cash. Pretty much everything you are likely to purchase can be paid for with a debit or credit card. The exception I can think of would be if you wanted to give a tip after a prepaid tour. If you know this in advance, I would suggest, as others have, picking up a small amount of Canadian $ at your local bank for the best exchange rate. 

Most places will not accept USD, the same as I have yet to encounter an establishment in the US that will accept the pretty Canadian currency 😊

• Like 1

I am surprised that US port towns or border towns don't take Canadian money, it actually makes sense which is likely why it isn't allowed. I am sure there are people that cross regularly that then either have to use a card or carry both currencies.

1 minute ago, cgolf1 said:

I am surprised that US port towns or border towns don't take Canadian money, it actually makes sense which is likely why it isn't allowed. I am sure there are people that cross regularly that then either have to use a card or carry both currencies.

I agree with you. Several years ago, I got turned around in Buffalo and ended up on a toll road by mistake. I didn’t even have enough US coins to pay the toll and when I offered Canadian quarters to make up the difference, was told to go ahead without paying rather than take the Canadian currency. 

2 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

it is allowed but some places will not give you a favourable rate of exchange

I would  just  get some $ before you leave home or if your Debit card will work in Canada  use it

most places take CC  now some have a $5 spend limit 

some small shops or local transit  may not

We usually get some US  cash before we go on a cruise   partly to tip the crew any extra  that we choose to reward

Enjoy

• Like 1

Be careful with the container village in St. John and the local food truck vendors on the boardwalk in Halifax. They will accept US currency and give you charge in Canadian (without a conversation rate).  If something is $7.00 Canadian, they will accept US currency and give change in Canadian. You lose the conversion rate each way. As others said, best to charge in Canada to get the best rates.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Be careful with the container village in St. John and the local food truck vendors on the boardwalk in Halifax. They will accept US currency and give you charge in Canadian (without a conversation rate).  If something is $7.00 Canadian, they will accept US currency and give change in Canadian. You lose the conversion rate each way. As others said, best to charge in Canada to get the best rates.

well at least they will take USD

have not found any US ports that take our funny money 😉

We got our Canadian money at Guest Services, and just didn't worry about the exchange rate.  It was quick and easy, and we now have the $$ we will need for the occasional beaver tail or beer while ashore on our annual CNE cruises.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We got our Canadian money at Guest Services, and just didn't worry about the exchange rate.

You can literally go to any bank ATM in Canada with you US debit card and receive the current exchange rate without any markup like you'll most likely get at a ship's pursers desk. We all make choices for convenience-- I get it-- but you do have very easy ways here to save a bit. 

Foreign currency can be ordered through AAA by members at your local office. Quick and easy. We use credit cards for some purchases, but always bring some local cash for taxis and small purchases where credit cards may not be accepted.

• Like 1

I would use my no fee CC for all purchases.  You get the best conversion rate that way and don't have to worry about carrying different kinds of cash or having leftovers.

Many places in canada will happily take your us Dollars at a 1 to 1 exchange rate, which is lousy for you

• 4 weeks later...

On this itinerary, you have many stop in Canada.

30% is a huge rate difference,.

If you just need a few dollars Cash,,. Find a Canadian on your roll call.

I would gladly sell you some of my funny money for your usd

At a rate that is win/ win for both parties