Chair hogs be warned

melbur

4 minutes ago, moposh said:

So if you are in the pool, you can't put stuff on a chair?  Where do you put your towel, etc.?  

yes you can put the stuff on the chair. the problem is the people put stuff on the chair at the crack of dawn and then never return

• Like 7

When I was a teenager I was super sad I couldn't tan, but as a middle-aged mom it's moments like these that make me happy I am not a sunbather, have never (past the age of 16) laid out in a lounger, and and cannot tan if my life depended on it. Chair hogs are just so rude. 

• Like 4

I was thrilled on Odyssey that they actually removed things from unoccupied chairs.  They were using sticky notes with times and then came back.  I’m always looking for chairs in the shade instead of pool side, but those are hard to find too.

• Like 2

I think, which means it is my opinion, is that the big complaint was of those folks that come out early in the morning and plop their towel or whatever down on the chair/lounger and leave to go to breakfast, an excursion, or be gone for hours before returning.  I don't know about anybody else, but, I don't have a problem with people that are actually active around the pool/beach area and leave their stuff on a chair while they take a swim, go to the restroom, go grab an ice cream cone, go grab a drink from the bar, or go to the (Labadee/Coco Cay for example) buffet to grab a lunch or snack and bring it back.  So, I'm not for a blanket policy of no reserved chairs/loungers.  Maybe it should be a timed thing, not a utilization thing (and maybe it is a timing thing but I haven't read anything about that, yet).  Chairs left unattended for more than an hour, for example, will have the belongings removed.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, njsmom said:

When I was a teenager I was super sad I couldn't tan, but as a middle-aged mom it's moments like these that make me happy I am not a sunbather, have never (past the age of 16) laid out in a lounger, and and cannot tan if my life depended on it. Chair hogs are just so rude. 

We try to avoid the sun as well, and like to get a lounger in the shade. Those can be hard to come by as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I think, which means it is my opinion, is that the big complaint was of those folks that come out early in the morning and plop their towel or whatever down on the chair/lounger and leave to go to breakfast, an excursion, or be gone for hours before returning.  I don't know about anybody else, but, I don't have a problem with people that are actually active around the pool/beach area and leave their stuff on a chair while they take a swim, go to the restroom, go grab an ice cream cone, go grab a drink from the bar, or go to the (Labadee/Coco Cay for example) buffet to grab a lunch or snack and bring it back.  So, I'm not for a blanket policy of no reserved chairs/loungers.  Maybe it should be a timed thing, not a utilization thing (and maybe it is a timing thing but I haven't read anything about that, yet).  Chairs left unattended for more than an hour, for example, will have the belongings removed.  

On Odyssey it was 30 minutes.  In one case near us they had been in the pool when sticky was attached, came back for a couple of minutes and went to swap wet towels.  Pool staff were going to remove their stuff because they didn’t know the people had returned.  Those of us who had seen them explained and staff left their stuff.  I think this works reasonably well.  I’m sure you have time for a bar or bathroom trip.

• Like 5

Just now, ATG said:

On Odyssey it was 30 minutes.  In one case near us they had been in the pool when sticky was attached, came back for a couple of minutes and went to swap wet towels.  Pool staff were going to remove their stuff because they didn’t know the people had returned.  Those of us who had seen them exlained and staff left their stuff.  I think this works reasonably well.  I’m sure you have time for a bar or bathroom trip.

That's good, as long as cooler heads prevail.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

30 minutes is long enough to do all the items you noted. If you are going to the MDR or a parade is another thing.

We just had 6 chairs hogged beside us from 9am to 3pm, on Oasis while at Costa Maya. The hogs came and removed their towels in street clothes and didn’t sit down.  It’s one thing to be in the pool, what we experienced was not that case. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

30 minutes is long enough to do all the items you noted. If you are going to the MDR or a parade is another thing.

We just had 6 chairs hogged beside us from 9am to 3pm, on Oasis while at Costa Maya. The hogs came and removed their towels in street clothes and didn’t sit down.  It’s one thing to be in the pool, what we experienced was not that case. 

There's always that 10%.  Totally unacceptable.  It's a me me me mentality.  Unfortunately, for to prevalent these days.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I hope people are using a towel and not putting their heads on the signs or they are going to quickly become disgusting. 

Good point.   They appear to be a cloth fabric that could be washed but who knows how often that would happen.

3 hours ago, nelblu said:

Especially the loungers with umbrellas on Beach Side pool.

Photo below is at the beach pool. I also miss the tables on Oasis, they just have the umbrellas now. 

2 hours ago, loug1601 said:

Did they place the pink notices on the chair backs, and did nothing?

Or, they did nothing, including no notices placed on chairs?

They did nothing. 

2 hours ago, melbur said:

Last month on Oasis they were ruthless, stripping rows of towels and junk 

This was on Oasis before 8am the week of March 12th.  The sun is just rising in the background in the photo. The loungers were basically this empty at 9am, with a few people showing up. Still more than the 30 minutes time limit.  Nothing was marked, or moved by deck crew. People eventually showed up as it was a sea say. Even up on the suite sun deck every lounger was hoarded.

D2642803-9B4E-40D2-AD48-A3A578E5E5DB.thumb.jpeg.5cb0d10f8ea1423e6c8b008fa1ac723f.jpeg

Edited by A&L_Ont

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

There's always that 10%.  Totally unacceptable.  It's a me me me mentality.  Unfortunately, for to prevalent these days.

My photo above tends to say 98%.  Suite sun deck was the same. Common decency seems to be fading fast. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

My photo above tends to say 98%.  Suite sun deck was the same. Common decency seems to be fading fast. 

10% of total guests, not just on the sun deck(s)/beaches, was my point.  But, you are right, what you show in the pic is totally unacceptable, for sure.

EDITED IN:  Actually, I think that 10% applies to our general population.  Not just cruisers.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Then you are probably not going to like the solution I proposed to Royal management recently. 

Instead of saving their towels and other belongings at the towel stand, Royal should pile all the stuff onto a raft towed well behind the ship. The hogs can swim out to retrieve their stuff. All the while their fellow passengers would be encouraged to chum the water to attract even worse creatures. 

image.jpeg.fbd0b1563f3541fedbbe3804db6c4e5d.jpeg

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 20

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Then you are probably not going to like the solution I proposed to Royal management recently. 

Instead of saving their towels and other belongings at the towel stand, Royal should pile all the stuff onto a raft towed well behind the ship. The hogs can swim out to retrieve their stuff. All the while their fellow passengers would be encouraged to chum the water to attract even worse creatures. 

😁

Or the ships removing the Sky Pad could make it a launching pad for offenders.

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

😁

Perfect!  LOL

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

😁

Not good as it would slow the ship to a crawl.🤣

By the by, this also occurs in the theatre.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

😁

I've got a second option.  Make the offenders put on shorts and go eat in the MDR on a formal night and put up with all the looks and ridicule remarks.  That'll teach 'em!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

I've got a second option.  Make the offenders put on shorts and go eat in the MDR on a formal night and put up with all the looks and ridicule remarks.  That'll teach 'em!

And we could bring in another type of shark to "eat them alive".

image.jpeg.96fc94292dfb5c7dc1c996235a265316.jpeg

😱

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

It's supposed to be 30 minutes.  Royal is usually stricter to policy in the Solarium.

• Like 2