Article - Why Are Passports Taking So Long Right Now? (With Numbers)

SG65CB

A new article in Conde Nast Traveler magazine:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/why-are-passports-taking-so-long

The State Department is facing “unprecedented demand” for passports, Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said in a Congressional budget hearing on March 23.

Last year they set a record when they issued 22 million passports, and demand is surging even higher this year. 

They are currently receiving 500,000 applications for passports per week!

The state department says routine processing will currently take 10 to 13 weeks, while expedited processing is taking seven to nine weeks. That doesn't include transit time to and from the processing center. The article goes on to describe how to get your passport faster for urgent situations. 

The pilot project for online renewals received 500,000 requests. The pilot is complete, but they hope to move 65% of renewal requests online once the project is finished. 

I am in the process of renewal and a name change and there are several issues.  Online seems to have stopped as it's overloaded with requests; some states like my NY are using covid as an issue (not sure if everyone is still home-based with limited office hours), and some states have limited drop-in and renewal offices which are not in a reasonable driving time.. shortage of workers? Increase of travelers?  It all seems to be hitting a system that hasn't ramped up to folks willing to travel.  So plan ahead and plan for 6 months of total processing to be safe.  Yes, there are many here with smooth access that has no issues, but for others, it does take quite some time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

A friend of mine received his renewed passport yesterday - 5 weeks and 2 days.

You know if it was Rush($$), planned travel listed or no travel slowest? My Daughter did middle and wrote Planned Travel(Cruise) in few months. Turned theirs in 2wks ago... Funny thing had Enhanced Drivers Licence for over Decade and using it for Open Circuit Cruises for 10yrs. Problem was it didn't have the Star on it, also I was 3 months from renewing it but was in AZ and License is MI. No problem was able go online to get my Enhanced DL with a Star good for another 3yrs...with my Picture that's already 4+ yrs old. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

renewed online and process started Jan 11th.  Was advised that it would be 6-9 wks.  As of today, it's still showing in process and I'm now at 10 weeks.  Anything the govt does is inefficient and slow.  BTW in case anyone doesn't know, once you start the renewal process, your old passport is useless even if it's not expired yet.  

• Like 1

I did online renewal Jan 12 and status stayed as received until I got impatient and went online and requested expedited service (but not expedited mailing) on Feb 24.  Status immediately went to In Process, Monday it went to mailed, and Tuesday the 28th it arrived in my mailbox from New Hampshire.  I was leaving on a cruise the next day, and could have used a BC for the first time.  EM

• Like 1