Influencers onboard

zitsky

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And before anyone brings it up, yes, I did ONE cabin tour video. ONE. Of my Edge Solo IV cabin. Because the only other cabin tour video I could find was not in English. I did it myself in my cabin with my iPhone. And it was not professional - but it hit the things I look for in cabin reviews. And it filled a need that wasn't filled to that point. (My YouTube has THREE videos uploaded - the cabin tour, my sky dive with SkyDive Key West, and my dinner at Eden. The dinner was because I had not found a video about dinner there covering someone who eats gluten-free.)

Will I do one of my aft Aqua Class on the Summit in July? Possibly for my private Insta or FB - but not to publish to YouTube because there are a lot of those already out there. No one needs another one - at least until there is another major change.

It's the over-saturation of the same old same old that annoys me most about vloggers.

I will need to find your Eden video.  We are going on the Edge next year when it comes to Australia and I'm GF and LF.  It will be nice to see how it goes.  I was very pleased with the normal speciality restaurants this past January and just how my meals ended up, including in Le Petit, where I was a bit worried I wasn't going to be able to get anything.

12 minutes ago, Suzi66 said:

I will need to find your Eden video.  We are going on the Edge next year when it comes to Australia and I'm GF and LF.  It will be nice to see how it goes.  I was very pleased with the normal speciality restaurants this past January and just how my meals ended up, including in Le Petit, where I was a bit worried I wasn't going to be able to get anything.

I've pondered trying LPC on the Summit this summer but have been hesitant. Also not knowing what menu until just before has been an question.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 9:25 AM, shipgeeks said:

I've tried watching youtube re ships/cruising a couple of times, and I've learned I just do not have the patience to do so, no matter how well done. The printed word is my only acceptable source.

Tons of great, short, to the point tips, tours and other useful info across TikTok. I have a channel there and there are quite a few really good creators sharing info in 1 - 3 minute bites. 🙂

7 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

not being influenced by what others tell you then that's fine

Absolutely correct

7 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

But in the end, you lose having a great chat to any one of us onboard which may provide invaluable information about your next cruise and that's on you.

I honestly do not know you or your, vlog, blog, YouTube, whatever.

Now if I said I didn't ever watch a review of a ship, I'd be lying.

But to say you may be able to provide me with "invaluable information"... After 42 years of cruising, I highly doubt it.

Happy Sailing to you also. 😉

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:25 AM, shipgeeks said:

I've tried watching youtube re ships/cruising a couple of times, and I've learned I just do not have the patience to do so, no matter how well done. The printed word is my only acceptable source.

We were in the Solarium a few years ago, and noticed a woman in one of the hot tubs, holding up a selfie stick and talking non-stop. She continued for well over an hour; at that point we couldn't take it anymore and left. IMO, she qualified as intrusive.

I don't think I could talk about something for an hour straight!  

Edited by ldubs

15 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

Tons of great, short, to the point tips, tours and other useful info across TikTok. I have a channel there and there are quite a few really good creators sharing info in 1 - 3 minute bites. 🙂

Tons of the info and tips posted on TiKTok is wrong. TikTok is  good for watching cute cat and dog stories.For info meh. 

21 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

Absolutely correct

I honestly do not know you or your, vlog, blog, YouTube, whatever.

Now if I said I didn't ever watch a review of a ship, I'd be lying.

But to say you may be able to provide me with "invaluable information"... After 42 years of cruising, I highly doubt it.

Same for me. Only 25 years but the only stuff of value is has been videos on Viking cruises and Virgin cruises. I think for newbies there are some whose videos that are of value. Gary B who does the tips videos does a good job. Real tips, not click bait. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I read through this entire thread and I don't think Vloggers, Youtubers, Instagrammers, Promoters, Photographers, Kodak Camerapeople, etc are legitimate concerns of the OP.  It's not like you'll be on a 24 foot sailboat with a documentarian with no escape. 

There are many places you can go if anyone onboard is annoying and I assure you, on a cruise, there will be people who annoy you, just as you will likely annoy someone else. .  

It surprises me how many responders take this concern seriously.  I think this thread is here to stir the sh*t.  The goal was achieved. 

Yea I can see how you’d annoy people.  I suppose I might find some of these influencers interesting but sometimes I just want to be left alone to read a book or listen to music.  I can only sign autographs for so long before it gets tedious.

Would you prefer we go back to debating which is better, Luminae or Blu?

I distinguish content creators from influencers.  To me influencers are all about me me me.  Why should I have to go somewhere else just to make their life easier?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Tons of the info and tips posted on TiKTok is wrong. TikTok is  good for watching cute cat and dog stories.For info meh. 

Oh my goodness you could not be more wrong. A friend of mind is a gastro surgeon now with an audience over 750k dispensing tons of amazing weight loss and overall healthy eating habits advice. His channel is so good and his Lives are amazing.  And there are a ton of great Cruise Creators on there. You are absolutely wrong, and I mean WRONG by a mile. If you won't want to use the platform, that's your choice. but to disparage it because you don't like it, well that's on you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, davekathy said:

TikTok is garbage. Deleted from my apps. 

It's honestly the best video platform out there today if you know where to look. Cruising, travel, health, home and auto repair, hobbies and so much more. You just have to find the right creators. But I get that some folks don't have the time or patience to find the 'good stuff.'  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

It's honestly the best video platform out there today if you know where to look. Cruising, travel, health, home and auto repair, hobbies and so much more. You just have to find the right creators. But I get that some folks don't have the time or patience to find the 'good stuff.'  

I'll respect your opinion, but "patience" has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of TikTok. I'll leave it at that.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

You are absolutely wrong, and I mean WRONG by a mile. If you won't want to use the platform, that's your choice. but to disparage it because you don't like it, well that's on you. 

I can disparage things I don’t like. I looked at a lot of stuff on there. Stuff that I know a lot about was just plain wrong. They use algorithms to hook people but I didn’t get hooked and I didn’t find the platform very useful. I have not been using the platform. I will look again in a few months if the app has not been banned which seems possible. While I don’t think it should be banned I am not a fan of having my data on Chinese servers. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CruisingWalter said:

So if I want TikTok cruise videos I just search?  How to find the good ones?  I don’t have time to look at all of them because I’m busy looking at cat pictures on Facebook.

• Haha 1

Just now, zitsky said:

So if I want TikTok cruise videos I just search?  How to find the good ones?  I don’t have time to look at all of them because I’m busy looking at cat pictures on Facebook.

Just look at some cat videos or cruise videos and TikTok will show you cruise and cat videos. TikToks algorithms are better than Facebooks. 

2 minutes ago, zitsky said:

hashtag #cruise is a good place to start. 

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I suppose I might find some of these influencers interesting but sometimes I just want to be left alone to read a book or listen to music.  I can only sign autographs for so long before it gets tedious.

What??????

You don't have your stunt double sign the autographs?

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I wouldn’t  even touch TikTok , it probably the easiest thing not to give any money to the Chinese 😉

• Like 2

I also create content for my YouTube channel, but I tend to only shoot public areas when they are quiet and not heavily trafficked (usually early morning hours and port days) I also take a lot of stills vs motion video and add motion onto the stills in my content. Most people do not know how to take solid motion video. My goal is to never be noticed or intrude on anyone's vacation with my filming and photography.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I video all our cruises but would never post them on any social media sight. CC is the only social media sight I belong to.  I've never found the need to look at others. 👀

With the FB site I am able to keep in contact with friends we meet cruising 

On 3/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, zitsky said:

I just watched part of a YouTube video by some rather annoying guys, recording in one of the Beyond pools.  Do I have to worry about influencers, TikTok stars etc taking over the ship?  I don’t have a problem sharing space but I’m not leaving a space to make it more convenient for them.

Yes, you should be worried about that TikTok star, Capt Kate, taking over the ship!  (I'm a huge fan of her)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1