Norwegian Fjords?

LB_NJ

You don't say when, which ship, how long or where from?

If you mean 2024 and the QM2, there isn't much choice. I have the following round trips from Southampton:

Jul 14-Jul 21: Kristiansand, Olden, Alesund, Stavanger - 7 nights

Aug 4-Aug 16: Hamburg 2, Alesund, Andalsnes, Olden, Bergen, Hamburg -12 nights

Nov 1-Nov 13:  Bergen, Tromso, Trondheim, Alesund, Stavanger -12 nights

Jun 2-Jun 9:  Skagen Denmark, Oslo x 2, Kristiansand - 7 nights - isn't really the fjords

otherwise it's the Queen Anne

To my mind, the ideal 7-night Norwegian Fjords itinerary on Cunard's current schedule is QV's voyage V321, August 6-13, 2023. I say that because that cruise is scheduled to call at two quintessential Norwegian Fjords destinations, Flaam and Geiranger.

The problem with cruising to those two destinations though is environmental restrictions Norway has placed on them as being on or near UNESCO World Heritage fjords. QM2 is apparently no longer allowed to sail to those destinations. Two of QV's previously scheduled calls to Geiranger this June have been changed to other ports. I haven't seen the specific reason for those QV changes, but I think it's a pretty good bet it was because of environmental concerns.

Until we have some assurance those calls to Flaam and Geiranger can go ahead, I am reluctant to recommend booking that August Norwegian Fjords cruise on QV.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Trying to decide between going on a cruise or doing Norwegian Fjords on our own.

Also, if we do a cruise how do we decide on which one.

We enjoyed the NF sailing and thought it was one of our voyages of a lifetime.

A very different type of sailing that are not that repeated.

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Trying to decide between going on a cruise or doing Norwegian Fjords on our own.

Also, if we do a cruise how do we decide on which one.

Not quite sure what you mean by doing the fjords 'on your own' but if you mean a land based holiday, I would just make the observation that, in my experience, travelling in Norway is very expensive (food etc) so ship holidays through the fjords are a good way of doing it. Norway is definitely worth travelling to and seeing. Maybe look beyond Cunard if the itineraries don't suit or the environmental restrictions are a problem for them.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

To my mind, the ideal 7-night Norwegian Fjords itinerary on Cunard's current schedule is QV's voyage V321, August 6-13, 2023. I say that because that cruise is scheduled to call at two quintessential Norwegian Fjords destinations, Flaam and Geiranger.

The problem with cruising to those two destinations though is environmental restrictions Norway has placed on them as being on or near UNESCO World Heritage fjords. QM2 is apparently no longer allowed to sail to those destinations. Two of QV's previously scheduled calls to Geiranger this June have been changed to other ports. I haven't seen the specific reason for those QV changes, but I think it's a pretty good bet it was because of environmental concerns.

Until we have some assurance those calls to Flaam and Geiranger can go ahead, I am reluctant to recommend booking that August Norwegian Fjords cruise on QV.

I was thinking about the QM2 cruise this summer (eg, M325) in late August however it sounds like there might be issues.

We took a 3 week land trip (with backpacks) via trains, rental car, and Norwegian ferries in Norway in 2017- we did so so so much in those three weeks- wow

And

We traveled to Norway via Cunard in 2019 where we went above the Arctic Circle to the Lofotens and to Tromsø as well as the fjords… the sail into and out of Olden was gorgeous

Both trips were some of the best of my life for different reasons

The two trips together are like lovely bookends for me and my memories

The land trip took massive amounts of planning and preparation. We are very savvy travelers, and it took that (and more) to make the kind of trip we took successful

The Cunard voyage was much “easier”- but I was glad it was my second trip to Norway and that I got the chance to go higher north than the first trip

I would go back to Norway in a heartbeat

It is stunning

That said, I think you do have to be realistic about Norway and do lots of research

That late August sailing on QM2 has ports which should not be problematic for you

As I said, Olden is gorgeous

(I would suggest visiting Loen and Lovatnet Lake on an excursion from Olden if you go)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I was thinking about the QM2 cruise this summer (eg, M325) in late August however it sounds like there might be issues.

I have no concerns about M325. That cruise calls at Stavanger, Olden, Alesund and Bergen. I am not aware of any environmental restrictions that would prevent QM2 from calling at any of those ports.

We have not been to either Olden or Alesund yet (although we got to within site of Alesund once on QM2 before having to turn away because of the weather conditions and we are scheduled to call at both of those destinations on QM2 this May). No doubt those are also beautiful destinations.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

I have no concerns about M325. That cruise calls at Stavanger, Olden, Alesund and Bergen. I am not aware of any environmental restrictions that would prevent QM2 from calling at any of those ports.

We have not been to either Olden or Alesund yet (although we got to within site of Alesund once on QM2 before having to turn away because of the weather conditions and we are scheduled to call at both of those destinations on QM2 this May). No doubt those are also beautiful destinations.

We took this cruise in May 2022, and we loved it so much that we booked the August 18th cruise. We saw the fjords in the spring time, and now we look forward to seeing them at the end of summer.  Olden looks like a magical fairytale village, and we can’t wait to go back again.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if the restrictions on entry to the fjords may be as much to do with the specific ships as with the ports themselves. I am booked on Queen Anne for the Norwegian Fjords in June 2024 (H415).   

I mentioned this in another thread early this year and one of the respondents reckoned that QA, with the latest technology,  would probably be a 'cleaner' ship emissions-wise than the other Queens. I'm hoping it works out this way, as Flaam is on the itinerary and is a place I very much want to go revisit.   

M325 is almost the exact itinerary we did on QV in 2022 and we'd highly recommend it. 

Loen skylift not to be missed and Alesund is amazing we did the Cunard walking tour here with a very charming guide. 

👍🙂

Edited by 2BACRUISER
Typo

Cunard is providing a way to see Geirangerfjord for cruises that call at Olden. Our Norwegian Fjords cruise on QM2 this May offers a "New" shore experience from Olden called "Scenic Geirangerfjord Cruise." That's a coach excursion to Hellesylt, then a cruise by boat through Geirangerfjord.

That's not to downplay any of the other options at Olden which by all accounts here and elsewhere are well worth it. Just mentioning that's one strategy for seeing Geirangerfjord that gets around restrictions on cruise ships sailing into Geiranger.

• Like 4

On 3/31/2023 at 11:47 AM, bluemarble said:

Cunard is providing a way to see Geirangerfjord for cruises that call at Olden. Our Norwegian Fjords cruise on QM2 this May offers a "New" shore experience from Olden called "Scenic Geirangerfjord Cruise." That's a coach excursion to Hellesylt, then a cruise by boat through Geirangerfjord.

That's not to downplay any of the other options at Olden which by all accounts here and elsewhere are well worth it. Just mentioning that's one strategy for seeing Geirangerfjord that gets around restrictions on cruise ships sailing into Geiranger.

Thanks for the info.  I checked the area out on Google maps, and it looks like a good way to see the fjord.  We booked it last night.  

We sailed the fjords last year with 'lowers voice to a whisper' P&O who were unable to dock at Geiranger and instead we stopped at Hellesylt.  This is a tiny place and mainly a jumping off point, but we chose to stay and did the walk up the side of the waterfall - right hand side is steps and nearly killed me!! but the left side is a slope.  Lovely place.  This view was taken from the ship so you can see how close it is.

hellesylt.jpg

• Like 3

Hi, We’re booked on QV 321  for 6th Aug and have just received the email telling us Flaam and Geiranger have been cancelled and replaced with Skjolden and Olden.  Disappointed as have been to Flaam and Geiranger before, loved them both and were really looking forward to going back.  Haven’t been to either of the other 2 so am busy investigating now.  Can’t say I was surprised to get the email, have been looking at the Geiranger port schedule for a few weeks now and no mention of the Queen Vic being booked in!  I suppose at least Cunard haven’t waited until we’d made out full payment before notifying us.

If anyone has any thoughts on Olden and Skjolden, excursions worth taking etc. would be very grateful to hear.

To original poster  LB_NJ.  Absolutely choose a fjords cruise, if you have the time take a longer one and include Iceland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 5:22 AM, BrisbaneR said:

I'm wondering if the restrictions on entry to the fjords may be as much to do with the specific ships as with the ports themselves. I am booked on Queen Anne for the Norwegian Fjords in June 2024 (H415).   

I mentioned this in another thread early this year and one of the respondents reckoned that QA, with the latest technology,  would probably be a 'cleaner' ship emissions-wise than the other Queens. I'm hoping it works out this way, as Flaam is on the itinerary and is a place I very much want to go revisit.   

We are on the same cruise!

I read that it was 2025 onwards that Unesco sites could not be sailed to on anything but the very cleanest ships (I don't think QA is one of them) - the plan was to be a year later, but I bought it forward to next year...

This says 2026 latest https://whc.unesco.org/en/news/1824

Haven't been before!

Time to go back to the age of sail to tour the Fjords!  We love the classic retro-feel of Cunard to begin with so local authorities and cruise lines should look to add excursions from a non-compliant ship anchored outside the Fjords that bring pax into the Fjords via a less polluting vessel.

There has to be better and more creative ideas implemented that both help Norwegian business (lessen outright bans) and satisfy travelers while still protecting the environment and air quality. 

These outright bans seem like an overreaction. 

If the global climate patterns continue to give more disastrous weather, such as we have seen in so many places in recenttimes, perhaps there will be increasing likelihood that more restrictions will come in - and gradually ships, aircraft and vehicles will be designed and built to be close to zero polluting in operation.  That might be better for our grandchildren in the world they inherit from us as the older generation?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NE John said:

Time to go back to the age of sail to tour the Fjords!  We love the classic retro-feel of Cunard to begin with so local authorities and cruise lines should look to add excursions from a non-compliant ship anchored outside the Fjords that bring pax into the Fjords via a less polluting vessel.

There has to be better and more creative ideas implemented that both help Norwegian business (lessen outright bans) and satisfy travelers while still protecting the environment and air quality. 

These outright bans seem like an overreaction. 

There's at least one Norwegian shipping line which has hybrid (electric) vessels to meet the requirements with a stated intention to work towards fully electric ships.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

There's at least one Norwegian shipping line which has hybrid (electric) vessels to meet the requirements with a stated intention to work towards fully electric ships.

Havila?