Points for adjoining cabins

My wife and I are Gold status. We have booked two adjoining balcony cabins with our young children. Since they are under 18, we were required to put one adult and one child in each stateroom.

Thus the question... On a 7 night cruise, do we get 7 points each, or 14? Or something else?

My logic is, of it were the two of us in one cabin, we'd get 7 points each. But we booked a separate cabin for the kids, so shouldn't it double?

Thanks! 

1 minute ago, Scottbro said:

My wife and I are Gold status. We have booked two adjoining balcony cabins with our young children. Since they are under 18, we were required to put one adult and one child in each stateroom.

Thus the question... On a 7 night cruise, do we get 7 points each, or 14? Or something else?

My logic is, of it were the two of us in one cabin, we'd get 7 points each. But we booked a separate cabin for the kids, so shouldn't it double?

Thanks! 

Every person that travels get the same number of points...in this case 7.\\Points are awarded to those that travel, not those that pay.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

7 points each for you, your wife ech of the  kids.  You would only get an extra point per night if one of you were the only person (not only adult) in a cabin and booked it as a single with the supplement.

Edited by xxHadleyxx
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

Thanks! 

Only 7 and equals 1 point per night per passenger. If that was the case I would be pinnacle from all the cruises that I paid for my children/grandchildren. 🤣

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, melbur said:

Only way to get double for one cabin is put both kids in one cabin with adult, the other cabin solo adult.

This is actually a good plan. Doesn't matter where people sleep, only where they are booked.

A solo passenger in a double occupancy room gets an extra point per night. So the 1 adult and 2 kids will all get 7 points for the cruise, and the solo adult in the other room will get 14 points.

On future cruises, make the same adult the solo. As that person reaches higher status levels faster, the spouse will get matching status (but not matching points). And the minor children will also get the same status.

Also, if this is their first cruise, make sure the kids all have C&A accounts before they sail.

If you want to level up even faster, put the solo parent in a Junior Suite. That will give another extra point per night for a 3 points per night or 21 points for a 7 night cruise.😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottbro said:

Since they are under 18, we were required to put one adult and one child in each stateroom.

This is not true.  You can put underage kids in the adjoining/connecting (even across the hall) from the parents.  No "extra keys"/trip to GS needed. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobInMN said:

This is actually a good plan. Doesn't matter where people sleep, only where they are booked.

A solo passenger in a double occupancy room gets an extra point per night. So the 1 adult and 2 kids will all get 7 points for the cruise, and the solo adult in the other room will get 14 points.

On future cruises, make the same adult the solo. As that person reaches higher status levels faster, the spouse will get matching status (but not matching points). And the minor children will also get the same status.

Also, if this is their first cruise, make sure the kids all have C&A accounts before they sail.

If you want to level up even faster, put the solo parent in a Junior Suite. That will give another extra point per night for a 3 points per night or 21 points for a 7 night cruise.😉

Thay would likely be more expensive I'm afraid. Depends on if there's a surcharge for a 3 person cabin, ksf promotion, etc..

Edited by John&LaLa

7 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Thay would likely be more expensive I'm afraid. Depends on if there's a surcharge for a 3 person cabin, ksf promotion, etc..

All very true. and I assumed so. But it all comes down to how much. Might be worth it, might not. Getting 1 person to Diamond "artificially" faster can have some real monetary value. Just something they may want to look in to since they are looking at booking 2 rooms anyway, if only out of curiosity.

I've never actually needed to compare that option myself, so I have no idea what sort of price difference there will be.

If there are any "kids sail free" promos, may want to look into a suite for 4.  Then everyone gets 2 points, and the system cost may not be much higher.  Some friends of mine did that with their kids- and they got the lounge benefit, too.

Thanks everyone for the responses! We do have connecting cabins. I misused the term.

We tried to book us in one and the kids in the other but the system wouldn't let us (we booked through a travel planner.)

I will definitely look at the 3/1 split next time.

Many thanks! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

We tried to book us in one and the kids in the other but the system wouldn't let us (we booked through a travel planner.)

You've got a poor travel planner then.  We've been on three cruises with our "under age" kids.  They've always been able to be beside us.  

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

You've got a poor travel planner then.  We've been on three cruises with our "under age" kids.  They've always been able to be beside us.  

Absolutely.  Any travel agent/advisor/planner worth talking to would be able to set it up with two adults in one room and two children in the room next door.  

I recommend changing agents after this cruise.

Also, booking 3+1 to add points faster is going to cost a lot more, because the single supplement typically means that the "solo" person is paying double the going rate.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

A TA must call to book it kids in a connecting cabin.  However some adults prefer to book split so one adult can buy the deluxe drink package and not the other.  

And prior to recent changes to be able to bring a couple extra bottles of wine on board.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

A TA must call to book it kids in a connecting cabin.  However some adults prefer to book split so one adult can buy the deluxe drink package and not the other.  

Right.  And that's totally fine.  But OP said they were REQUIRED to book an adult in each room.  That is flat out false and keeps getting posted. 

Another hint is you CAN have one adult purchase the deluxe drink package and the second adult not.  You just need to call and say the second person doesn't drink alcohol (there are reports of this all through the board).  

Assuming the cruise is at least a couple weeks away, if it was me, I'd be contacting the TA who booked me and tell them to arrange the sleeping arrangements the way I want.  If they insist you have to have an adult in each room, I would look into transferring to a different TA or Royal itself.  Here's the FAQ from Royal Caribbean's website: 

image.thumb.png.ab931f6b15f5471f4b9c8761102868c3.png

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Another hint is you CAN have one adult purchase the deluxe drink package and the second adult not.  You just need to call and say the second person doesn't drink alcohol (there are reports of this all through the board).  

In those cases the second guest is required to book the refreshment package.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

The big difference is that the second person then has to purchase the refreshment package.  With a child in the room that is not a requirement.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The big difference is that the second person then has to purchase the refreshment package.  With a child in the room that is not a requirement.

Again, not what I was arguing.  The OP said nothing about needing to split up because of the alcohol policy.  They just said they were REQUIRED to, and that is flat out false.  Even IF they wanted to split up because of the drink package, that still doesn't mean they're REQUIRED to.  They can pay a la carte, they can call and get the refreshment package, or they can get deluxe packages for both.

I don't understand why so many people are OK with flat out WRONG information being posted. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Again, not what I was arguing.  The OP said nothing about needing to split up because of the alcohol policy.  They just said they were REQUIRED to, and that is flat out false.  Even IF they wanted to split up because of the drink package, that still doesn't mean they're REQUIRED to.  They can pay a la carte, they can call and get the refreshment package, or they can get deluxe packages for both.

I don't understand why so many people are OK with flat out WRONG information being posted. 

My comment had nothing to do with with how they booked or wheter it was fskse infirmation which as you ststed it is.. It was simply pointing out that in order for one adult to purchase the beverage packagd which you stated then the other adult in the room woukd becrequired to purchase the refreshment package which you did not mention.  With sn adult and a child in yhe room there is no longer a requirement to purchase the beverage package. 

According to the agent i used, he originally booked the kids in the same cabin. The system rejected it. When he split us, it accepted it.

That said, he seemed far from being a rocket scientist and I would not use him again. Every cruise we've done prior to this I booked on my own. Everyone may certainly be correct that the kids can be in the same cabin but it didn't work on his end. Possibly user error on his part, who knows...

I'll call RC to do the cabins right. My TA is conveniently on vacation. 

Many thanks to everyone for the input! 

Edited by Scottbro

20 minutes ago, Scottbro said:

According to the agent i used, he originally booked the kids in the same cabin. The system rejected it. When he split us, it accepted it.

That said, he seemed far from being a rocket scientist and I would not use him again. Every cruise we've done prior to this I booked on my own. Everyone may certainly be correct that the kids can be in the same cabin but it didn't work on his end. Possibly user error on his part, who knows...

Royal may punt and not wanting to talk to you as the TA controls the reservations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottbro said:

As of right now, you are the Travel Agents customer, not Royals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scottbro said:

The reason it did not work was he tried to do it on line.  To book the kids by themselves even Travel agents need to call.

• Like 1