Things you need to bring with you getting off at a port

mduffles64

Take a picture of your passport and email it to yourself.  Passport is the safest in a safe on the ship, while the following is incredibly rare, odds are highly that you would encounter a pickpocket or robbery while in port over cruise ship crew breaking into your safe and stealing a passport

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mduffles64 said:

Hello - We are sailing to Bermuda on Celebrity and I was wondering - do you need to bring your passport with you when you get off the ship on port days?  

You don’t need to take your passport with you off the ship in Bermuda. 

They always say to bring along in the daily but never bring mine and never been asked for it.  I do have a photocopy with me in my backpack.

Unless things have changed you will need a photo ID to get back into the terminal to re-board the ship.   I have always used my Drivers License.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Agree.  And my spouse.

Yup.  Leaving your spouse would make for a long cruise.

We have had people on tours we organized hit by pickpockets.   We take our Seapass, ONE credit card, and photos of our driver's license and passport - NEVER the originals.

6 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We have had people on tours we organized hit by pickpockets.   We take our Seapass, ONE credit card, and photos of our driver's license and passport - NEVER the originals.

We also bring our smartphones for a variety of reasons including document retention, mobile payment, and communication.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

They always say to bring along in the daily but never bring mine and never been asked for it.  I do have a photocopy with me in my backpack.

Unless things have changed you will need a photo ID to get back into the terminal to re-board the ship.   I have always used my Drivers License.

Key West required an ID to get back on the ship.  I saw a passenger ahead of us not have their ID but did have a ship key card, the Key West employee radioed the ship security, they sent a security person who scanned their card and they both walked onto the ship; all in all would guess that only cost the passenger a few extra minutes.  By no means am I suggested someone should intentionally leave an ID behind, just pointed out its not a super big deal

40 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Pickpocketer are going to pickpocket, always recommended you take precautions

11 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Uh.  The photos of our passports and driver's licenses are on our phones. 

Uh. I actually have paper copies.  Except for my spouse, I bring the real thing.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, mduffles64 said:

Hello - We are sailing to Bermuda on Celebrity and I was wondering - do you need to bring your passport with you when you get off the ship on port days?  

We have only been to one port of call, St. Petersberg, Russia when we had to use our passports.  Everywhere else has been a picture ID (drives license) and our Sea Pass Card. 

Like others, I do have photographs of our passports and drives license on my smartphone.  

On 4/2/2023 at 4:50 PM, DaKahuna said:

We have only been to one port of call, St. Petersberg, Russia when we had to use our passports.  Everywhere else has been a picture ID (drives license) and our Sea Pass Card. 

Like others, I do have photographs of our passports and drives license on my smartphone.  

On 4/2/2023 at 4:50 PM, DaKahuna said:

Since I don't like keeping documentation like passport or driver's license info on my cell phone (probably from far too many decades as a defense attorney), DH & I get a passport card (smaller than a driver's license; cost is $25 extra I think) every time we renew our passports (this applies to US passports).  We take that passport card and our sea pass card with us; driver's licenses, passports, etc. stay in the stateroom safe. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 6:50 AM, DaKahuna said:

New Zealand required originals, not photos or photocopies 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

Since I don't like keeping documentation like passport or driver's license info on my cell phone (probably from far too many decades as a defense attorney), DH & I get a passport card (smaller than a driver's license; cost is $25 extra I think) every time we renew our passports (this applies to US passports).  We take that passport card and our sea pass card with us; driver's licenses, passports, etc. stay in the stateroom safe. 

That is an outstanding idea.  I was not aware that. you could have both.  Unfortunately, while that works for me, it does not help my DW.  She's not a US Citizen and I would hate to think what issues would arise if we were to misplace her resident card.  

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Thank you.  I've never been to New Zealand so I would not have known but now that I do, I will be prepared. 

47 minutes ago, SusieAV8R said:

The passport card isn’t better than a drivers license for ID at ports. It is a waste of $25. Passport cards are meant for easy crossing of land and sea borders without a passport book in North America. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

As do some South America ports and I think China. We always carry our real driving licences and copies of our passports. Only take original passports if the port specifically requires it - the ship will make it clear when this applies.

We take photo ID, seapass, copy of passport, one credit card and some cash.  Another thing we take off the ship is the daily with the Port Agent info on it.  We always plan to be back at the ship at least an hour before the all-aboard time, but stuff happens, so I want to be able to contact someone if there's an issue. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, Jim_Iain said:

They (the ship) have never asked for that "photo id" you allegedly need to get back on the ship,or into the terminal, you just flash your sea-pass card to the local security. Your seapass card, when scanned, pops a photo of you onto Security's screen. I've never taken my passport off the ship, talk about a nightmare that a stolen passport would be. 

Edited by NevadaCruiser2023

2 hours ago, AmberCascades said:

We take photo ID, seapass, copy of passport, one credit card and some cash.  Another thing we take off the ship is the daily with the Port Agent info on it.  We always plan to be back at the ship at least an hour before the all-aboard time, but stuff happens, so I want to be able to contact someone if there's an issue. 

Actually, that's a good idea, never thought of the port agent info. I'll remember to snap a photo of the daily. 

• Like 1