Newbies to princess.

Smitty A

A group of 10 of us are on the enchanted princess leaving Rome on November first.   We have a few questions.  I have not read through all the the princess board, so please accept my apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before.  If so, perhaps you could give info on a link to the topics.    Questions:  (1) how and when do we make reservations for the chefs table?  (2)  I understand you have to make reservations for the nightly shows.  how and when is that done? (3) will we have problems booking things as we have no “status” I.e. not cruised princess before.  (4) what does princess require regarding covid these days in the Mediterranean?  Just our vaccination record?  Can these be pictures on our phones or do we need to take the actual paper record?   Any additional advice you have for 10 excited newbies would be greatly appreciated.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Smitty A said:

A group of 10 of us are on the enchanted princess leaving Rome on November first.   We have a few questions.  I have not read through all the the princess board, so please accept my apologies if these questions have been asked and answered before.  If so, perhaps you could give info on a link to the topics.    Questions:  (1) how and when do we make reservations for the chefs table?  (2)  I understand you have to make reservations for the nightly shows.  how and when is that done? (3) will we have problems booking things as we have no “status” I.e. not cruised princess before.  (4) what does princess require regarding covid these days in the Mediterranean?  Just our vaccination record?  Can these be pictures on our phones or do we need to take the actual paper record?   Any additional advice you have for 10 excited newbies would be greatly appreciated.  

1) Chef's Table can only be booked aboard. Call the DINE line or see the maitre'd or put your name in at Guest Services upon boarding. 

2) no reservations for shows or entertainment or such on Princess. Just show up, first come first serve, so to speak.

3) no, no issues with booking anything with no loyalty status. Reservations are open to anyone for specialty dining, etc.

4) what's required now may change by November. Details on what's needed are at the Princess website, put in your voyage details and it'll tell you what's required.. 

The FAQs section of the Princess website has tons of great info, definitely worth scanning...

Enjoy! 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Smitty A said:

Questions:   (4) what does princess require regarding covid these days in the Mediterranean?  Just our vaccination record?  Can these be pictures on our phones or do we need to take the actual paper record?   Any additional advice you have for 10 excited newbies would be greatly appreciated.  

The Medallion App which is currently used tor setup and documentation for the cruise has the ability and requirement that one scan in passport and Covid vaccination card.  It is recommended one brings the actual documents, but the scanned in information is sufficient for boarding.  At present only a few countries require Covid vaccination or, if not vaccinated, a very recent monitored negative Covid test.  This could change.

You will find that in many cases there is no distinction on board between passengers once outside of your cabin.  Club Class does get a separate dining are in the main dining room.  Otherwise there is no "class system" apparent.

Do join in a roll call for your cruise here on Cruise Critic.   And book excursions as early as you can.

7 hours ago, Smitty A said:

Great suggestions given already by CC members for you.

I would suggest you call the dine line and request to be added to the list for the winemakers dinner. It’s held in the MDR midship, usually Santorini MDR on deck 5.  We really enjoyed it.  There were only 2 offered on a 14 night.  Surcharge $40

per person and well worth it.

Beautiful ship! Enjoy!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Smitty A said:

Any additional advice you have for 10 excited newbies would be greatly appreciated.  

If you're thinking about booking a specialty restaurant like Crown Grill or Sabbatini's, do it using the Princess Medallion app BEFORE you get on the ship. We never booked any of those restaurants until we go on board but last fall on the Sky I was surprised to find out that they were all 100% booked by second day of the cruise. When we cruised the Sky again in February, we booked one of the last spots on the Crown Grill on the first day, as soon as they opened up mid-afternoon on boarding day.

• Like 2

While shows have no reservations it is advisable to show up at least 30 minutes early for guest entertainers and 45 minutes early for production shows. Many bring reading materials with them to pass the time.  For production shows passengers with the "premier" fare package have a seating section in the theater blocked off for them. 

• Like 1

My 2 cents worth is for US, Canadian, And I believe it also includes England veterans to check out the military benefits. Any extra OBC is always a great thing 😊.

Edited by Moondogy

1 hour ago, pathi said:

Chefs table has limited seating. It will be difficult for 10 people. I think max is 12 or so.

With that many they may conduct a special table session. The cost for 10 would be $1,300 with wine, $1,150 without wine. There is no youth pricing and I really don't think the chef's table experience would really be enjoyed by children.

An alternate to the Chef's Table is the Wine Maker's Dinner which is $45/pp

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, skynight said:

With that many they may conduct a special table session. The cost for 10 would be $1,300 with wine, $1,150 without wine. There is no youth pricing and I really don't think the chef's table experience would really be enjoyed by children.

An alternate to the Chef's Table is the Wine Maker's Dinner which is $45/pp

Is $130/pp the new correct price for CT Lumiere?  The WMD is now re-fashioned (somewhat) and jacked up to $140/pp.  By comparison, CTL becomes a better value experience due to extras that WMD does not have.

On 4/3/2023 at 5:06 AM, skynight said:

While shows have no reservations it is advisable to show up at least 30 minutes early for guest entertainers and 45 minutes early for production shows. Many bring reading materials with them to pass the time.  For production shows passengers with the "premier" fare package have a seating section in the theater blocked off for them. 

Just a note, yes arriving early is almost a must if you want to have a view of the stage or sit with your companion(s) who arrives with you. Unfortunately the Pool Lounge Hoarders who stake out there spots at 6 AM and sometimes never return all day also feel it is their right to "Save" Theater seats and are not polite when you see a whole row of empty seats only to be reprimanded by them for thinking that we could possibly sit there as they were "saving" them.  Makes my Blood boil and wish Princess would enforce their rules rather than charge to ensure you have a seat in the Theater and simply ignore their rules for Pool Loungers.

Princess is  not afraid to charge everyone for something that would not be necessary in they enforced their stated policies and trained staff in how to do it. Instead of the current "blindeye", afraid of offending a passenger and getting a poor comment which really does effect staff.  Not fair for Passengers or Staff IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, victoriaj said:

Just a note, yes arriving early is almost a must if you want to have a view of the stage or sit with your companion(s) who arrives with you. Unfortunately the Pool Lounge Hoarders who stake out there spots at 6 AM and sometimes never return all day also feel it is their right to "Save" Theater seats and are not polite when you see a whole row of empty seats only to be reprimanded by them for thinking that we could possibly sit there as they were "saving" them.  Makes my Blood boil and wish Princess would enforce their rules rather than charge to ensure you have a seat in the Theater and simply ignore their rules for Pool Loungers.

Princess is  not afraid to charge everyone for something that would not be necessary in they enforced their stated policies and trained staff in how to do it. Instead of the current "blindeye", afraid of offending a passenger and getting a poor comment which really does effect staff.  Not fair for Passengers or Staff IMHO.

They used to make announcements that people could not reserve seats. On our last cruise in Feb. I noticed that they were no longer making that announcement. On that same cruise was an early implementation of the Premier Seating program for the production show.  There were probably less than 15-20 people that used that section.  Then there was a mad dash for those when they removed the covers (I didn't think they were very good seats.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

They used to make announcements that people could not reserve seats. On our last cruise in Feb. I noticed that they were no longer making that announcement. On that same cruise was an early implementation of the Premier Seating program for the production show.  There were probably less than 15-20 people that used that section.  Then there was a mad dash for those when they removed the covers (I didn't think they were very good seats.)

IMHO, I thought this was quite unfair on the Ruby Princess as they removed the covers pretty near to showtime and those passengers arriving last then were able to get the previously-reserved seats.

@Smitty A...Welcome to Cruise Critic!  Just an FYI...you do NOT have to make dinner reservations on the app.  You can do so on a desktop/laptop using the "web version".  This is the only way that I make my reservations...I just think it is WAY easier to see what you're doing on a larger screen.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 3:10 PM, mbglib said:

IMHO, I thought this was quite unfair on the Ruby Princess as they removed the covers pretty near to showtime and those passengers arriving last then were able to get the previously-reserved seats.

On my recent Sky Princess Cruise these seats we were old are released 10 minutes before the curtain goes up. I agree they are not my choice of seats, lower section close to stage. I would rather not strain my neck and see the sweat on the performers. Only way we knew what it was  we were later than usual arriving and came in Deck 6 entrance direct from our Dining Room and all the "Seat Director uniforms", which is a real waste of manpower in my opinion,  told us to take any seat as they were removing the covers and releasing them, when queried they then said they always do it 10 minutes before performance!!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, victoriaj said:

On my recent Sky Princess Cruise these seats we were old are released 10 minutes before the curtain goes up. I agree they are not my choice of seats, lower section close to stage. I would rather not strain my neck and see the sweat on the performers. Only way we knew what it was  we were later than usual arriving and came in Deck 6 entrance direct from our Dining Room and all the "Seat Director uniforms", which is a real waste of manpower in my opinion,  told us to take any seat as they were removing the covers and releasing them, when queried they then said they always do it 10 minutes before performance!!!

That's the wat they did it on the Enchanted also. Although I didn't check that closely, the reserved seats seemed to be scattered in different sections.