New XL class - no table cloths in the main dining?

BrotherCraig

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I guess it depends on if Spirit goes back to Australia or if she stays in America as to if she gets the new table tops or not. 

I don't think being in the land down under has any effect. The Splendor, which has been long converted to no tablecloth, is down there now and I highly doubt they brought back tablecloth. 

Edited by n6uqqq

23 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

I don't think being in the land down under has any effect. The Splendor, which has been long converted to no tablecloth, is down there now and I highly doubt they brought back tablecloth. 

That's the only reason why I could figure they haven't put the new table tops in yet. I remember them putting the new tabletops in the Ecstasy something like 8 years ago.

22 hours ago, jsglow said:

The bottom line is that tablecloths are long gone!  If that's particularly important to you, certain other lines still have them.

Not important to me at all.  Just asking the question since people ask me all of the time.  I want to make sure I am telling people the right thing.  Thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, klfrodo said:

🤯 OMG! Stop the world, I'm getting off. Oh, the horror!

Why make just a comment?  I was only asking the question because people ask me a lot and I want to give people the right answer.  I don't care about table cloths and kind of glad they are gone.  Making replies like the one you just did make people not want to ask questions on this site. It's a question.

• Like 1

it's so funny that this topic surfaces so often.  I remember when they announced they were removing them and the "horror" it caused... I wasn't bothered either way then.  Now, looking at the posted picture it looks so dated... Like, 1980 called and they want their tablecloths back... 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, carrieluvsgreg said:

it's so funny that this topic surfaces so often.  I remember when they announced they were removing them and the "horror" it caused... I wasn't bothered either way then.  Now, looking at the posted picture it looks so dated... Like, 1980 called and they want their tablecloths back... 🤣

Yeah.  I remember when they announced they were removing them from the MDR other than elegant night but I missed when they said it was for all nights.  A lot was happening during the whole covid shutdown so it was easy to miss it.  

1 hour ago, carrieluvsgreg said:

Now, looking at the posted picture it looks so dated... Like, 1980 called and they want their tablecloths back... 🤣

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way, especially when you see the pictures from the ships that had the beige or slightly pink tinted ones. I feel like they are in the same category as lace doilies under Grandma's lamps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m kinda missing the tablecloths.  

On the MG, it  seemed that EVERY time we sat down at the table, whether it was the MDR, the cucina del capitano, the chi-bang, etc., the tables always had these smeared water marks,  as if the tables weren’t clean.  

Not sure if they were or weren’t but it really looked bad.  

Also, it seemed like condensation from my water glass dripped on my clothes unless I continued to wipe the bottom of the glass throughout dinner.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yeah.  Some folks love the look the look and think it looks elegant.  allure-mdr-tables.thumb.webp.99f6efd0ab24443ebbd9c270792d0911.webpimage.jpeg.720ae925465067a2a345f6b2f7253fbd.jpeg

Gross! I can't believe people used to like that! Is that Rip Van Winkle there in the background? So old fashioned. They probably even serve warm food there, and service with a smile! Who could imagine. I'd just as soon eat over a trash can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BrotherCraig said:

Yeah.  Some folks love the look the look and think it looks elegant.  allure-mdr-tables.thumb.webp.99f6efd0ab24443ebbd9c270792d0911.webpimage.jpeg.720ae925465067a2a345f6b2f7253fbd.jpeg

For me, even in this picture, the tables would look better without the cloths, it would make the place settings pop.  It really is just a personal preference and it is extremely difficult to keep white tablecloths looking pristine.  They stain easily and wrinkle bad.  I kinda put it into the same category as pantyhose.  It used to be something worn daily, then moved to only special occasions and now I don't even own a pair... it seems dated even in this setting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Gross! I can't believe people used to like that! Is that Rip Van Winkle there in the background? So old fashioned. They probably even serve warm food there, and service with a smile! Who could imagine. I'd just as soon eat over a trash can.

Yeah, just imagine being on a ship with dining rooms like that.  Horrible for sure.  

• Like 1

Does nobody put a tablecloth on their table at home? European background here - tables always have a proper, ironed tablecloth. When I go to visit my relatives in Italy, I always receive a suitcase full of tablecloths to bring back as gifts - which are appreciated by young, older, and old.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Does nobody put a tablecloth on their table at home? European background here - tables always have a proper, ironed tablecloth. When I go to visit my relatives in Italy, I always receive a suitcase full of tablecloths to bring back as gifts - which are appreciated by young, older, and old.

I replaced my kitchen table with a garbage can. Saves me so much time!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RD64 said:

Not in my house, except for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.  Who is going to treat the stains, wash them, and iron them after every meal? Not me.

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RD64 said:

Our dining room table always has a table cloth.  We don't eat dinner in there every night since we have a kitchen nook table where we eat some meals together.  But yes - we do.  We change it out every week.  

• Thanks 1

The removal of the table clothes in the MDR fleetwide coincided with the introduction of the American Table concept. That also reduced the amount of flatware that was initially setup and introduced those square bread plates with images of Iconic American cities. This is also where they introduced the glass flask for water. So the standard table setting for American Table are; no tablecloths, reduced flatware,square bread plates, water glasses, tabletop water carafe.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The removal of the table clothes in the MDR fleetwide coincided with the introduction of the American Table concept. That also reduced the amount of flatware that was initially setup and introduced those square bread plates with images of Iconic American cities. This is also where they introduced the glass flask for water. So the standard table setting for American Table are; no tablecloths, reduced flatware,square bread plates, water glasses, tabletop water carafe.

True but they still had table cloths on elegant night all the way up to the shutdown during COVID in 2020.  

17 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

What flatware was reduced?  I certainly haven't missed it. 

If I need a utensil that they don't have (like a steak knife or spoon for my dessert), they automatically bring it at the same time they serve me the food.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The removal of the tablecloths coincided with the replacement of the hideous table tops underneath with beautiful shiny new table tops that didn't need to be hidden. Tablecloths are from an era gone by.

American Table refers to the non-elegant nights and American Feast the more elegant nights.

https://carnival-news.com/2013/12/03/carnival-cruise-lines-announces-new-american-table-and-american-feast-dinner-concepts/

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

What flatware was reduced?  I certainly haven't missed it. 

If I need a utensil that they don't have (like a steak knife or spoon for my dessert), they automatically bring it at the same time they serve me the food.

The current table setting doesn't include all the flatware that's normally set-up prior to the American Table concept. For example a salad fork isn't placed on the table until it's needed. I wasn't making a judgement on the merits of this, just stating the changes that occurred when the new dining room setup was implemented. 

14 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The current table setting doesn't include all the flatware that's normally set-up prior to the American Table concept. For example a salad fork isn't placed on the table until it's needed. I wasn't making a judgement on the merits of this, just stating the changes that occurred when the new dining room setup was implemented. 

This is true. Much of the flatware was never used anyway and it was a waste of time and money. Two of the pieces I missed most were a butter knife and occasionally a cocktail fork. I even used to bring my own. I got over it. But Carnival will bring more utensils if needed.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2023 at 11:25 AM, mz-s said:

Wow, that's incredible. I guess due to differences in the Australian product.

My understanding is its the difference in the table top.  The Spirit does not have the glossy tops.