New XL class - no table cloths in the main dining?

BrotherCraig

2 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Carnival removed tablecloths from the dining room long before Covid. They were not used on our 2016 cruises on the Splendor or Valor.

Thank you.  They had them on our cruises prior of 2020.  Had them on the Breeze in 2019.  Elegant night only.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

They got rid of the tablecloths fleetwide during the COVID restart.

Well. there is one exception for now. The Spirit still has them every single night as of Feb. They haven't replaced the white plastic tabletops yet. Love the look of tablecloth allthough I understand their reasoning for getting rid of it. Oh, and I really love the booths that the Panorama had none of!

20220510_202218.jpg

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Well. there is one exception for now. The Spirit still has them every single night as of Feb. They haven't replaced the white plastic tabletops yet. Love the look of tablecloth allthough I understand their reasoning for getting rid of it.

Wow, that's incredible. I guess due to differences in the Australian product.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

Wow, that's incredible. I guess due to differences in the Australian product.

I think that's it, the Spirit came back from Australia and hadn't been Americanized 🤣yet! When the Spirit class is retired, I will be heartbroken 😉 

Edited by n6uqqq
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

Well. there is one exception for now. The Spirit still has them every single night as of Feb. They haven't replaced the white plastic tabletops yet. Love the look of tablecloth allthough I understand their reasoning for getting rid of it.

Exactly.  We sailed on Spirit on her second cruise back from restarting and had tablecloths.  I asked about it and was told that they still had the old tabletops, so I suspect tablecloths will be going away after her next drydock.  As I recall this was the only cruise where I've seen tablecloths since around 2018.

While it's a nice touch, I don't think that a lack of tablecloths detracts from my dining experience.  

• Like 3

Just now, groundloop said:

Exactly.  We sailed on Spirit on her second cruise back from restarting and had tablecloths.  I asked about it and was told that they still had the old tabletops, so I suspect tablecloths will be going away after her next drydock.  As I recall this was the only cruise where I've seen tablecloths since around 2018.

While it's a nice touch, I don't think that a lack of tablecloths detracts from my dining experience.  

It doesn't detract for me either, it is just a nice touch.

I am not bothered by no table cloths, honestly I don't think they help or hinder the dining experience.  Though I have seen a few people drag the table clothes when getting in or out of like booths and sometimes they could be a pain.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Well. there is one exception for now. The Spirit still has them every single night as of Feb. They haven't replaced the white plastic tabletops yet. Love the look of tablecloth allthough I understand their reasoning for getting rid of it. Oh, and I really love the booths that the Panorama had none of!

20220510_202218.jpg

We were on Spirit March 11th.  I thought it was nice that they still had tablecloths until we looked under a few of them.  The tables that we saw were in bad shape, really rough, broken corners Etc.  I think there were enough that had to be covered that it just wouldn't look right, so they covered all of them.  I assume once all the bad tables are replaced the tablecloths will be gone.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

We were on Spirit March 11th.  I thought it was nice that they still had tablecloths until we looked under a few of them.  The tables that we saw were in bad shape, really rough, broken corners Etc.  I think there were enough that had to be covered that it just wouldn't look right, so they covered all of them.  I assume once all the bad tables are replaced the tablecloths will be gone.

They are a plastic or vinyl tabletop and they surely will be gone at next dry dock. Enjoy the tablecloth while you can 😉 . 

33 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

No different on other cruise lines. Carnival spent a lot of money replacing the table tops on the other ships. These days tablecloths might be cost effective.

24 minutes ago, n6uqqq said:

They are a plastic or vinyl tabletop and they surely will be gone at next dry dock. Enjoy the tablecloth while you can 😉 . 

A dry dock isn't required, and in theory, Spirit had a dry dock in 2021. Did Spirit have the new livery?

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

A dry dock isn't required, and in theory, Spirit had a dry dock in 2021. Did Spirit have the new livery?

It does have the livery, I noticed it in May of 2022 to Alaska. You are correct, a dry dock wouldn't be necessary to change tabletops, but as of yet it has not been done. I haven't seen a new dry dock date set for the Spirit.