Butler requests in Retreat

KKB

When we were in a penthouse in November, we gave our butler a list (coffee order, preferred snacks instead of canapés, fruit bowl, list of our dining reservations, plus the beverage choices we had given the shoreside concierge) which he mostly ignored.  So I'm not sure a list will solve an inattentive butler issue.

The one thing he did reliably was bring me a latte and pastries every morning at a set time.

12 minutes ago, prmssk said:

When we were in a penthouse in November, we gave our butler a list (coffee order, preferred snacks instead of canapés, fruit bowl, list of our dining reservations, plus the beverage choices we had given the shoreside concierge) which he mostly ignored.  So I'm not sure a list will solve an inattentive butler issue.

The one thing he did reliably was bring me a latte and pastries every morning at a set time.

That was our recent experience as well on Summit.  MIA for most of our cruise.

2 hours ago, Jean Genie said:

First time X cruiser staying in a sky suite sailing Saturday.  Should I be worried that I haven’t heard from our concierge via email yet?  

No, when in a Sky Suite we have only heard from them about 1/3 the time.  Most requests on the form they send via email can easily be handled by the cabin attendant (extra hangers, firm pillow, remove robes) anything else can be handled by the butler once  onboard.

1 hour ago, George C said:

I have had great butlers in sky suite and not that great in royal suites, wasn’t that impressed with last two in Royal suites including the one two weeks ago. 

My butler in an EQ sunset sky suite was very good, but the one on Summit (sky suite) was outstanding.  He also had the PH.   

6 hours ago, KKB said:

I have seen on NCL boards how some people write a letter for the butler regarding special requests.

We are trying Retreat for the first time on the Beyond Sunday.

We got a good price but it is a splurge for us.

We are pretty low maintenance travelers regarding our steward--we ask for little (egg crate mattress topper is about it!)

But there are certainly things I would love to have provided if that is an option!

Curious--have you done a letter, a list or just verbally share your requests.

Thanks!

If you are going on the Beyond, just be aware that they for NOT have egg crate mattress toppers!  We were on end of October (repositioning NJ to Ft. L.) and again 4 days later after naming ceremony. We were in a Sky Suite, our Shoreside Concierge emailed us, I wrote back explain that my husband needed a bed topper (he has had alot of Radiation on his spine), she said it was no problem.  We got to the we ship, finally heard just before sailing that the Beyond doesn't have them!  After a miserable cruise (he slept on 5 duvets) they promised they would try to have one for the next cruise... Retreat Concierge apologized they couldn't get one.  We were quite upset, went to our SS, we had a different Room Attendant, he said he had one that someone left on board.. He was a Lifesaver!! 

So from now on, we will bring our own(takes up a suitecase). (30 cruises on Celebrity almost all the ships, they always had bed toppers) 

2 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

If you are going on the Beyond, just be aware that they for NOT have egg crate mattress toppers!  We were on end of October (repositioning NJ to Ft. L.) and again 4 days later after naming ceremony. We were in a Sky Suite, our Shoreside Concierge emailed us, I wrote back explain that my husband needed a bed topper (he has had alot of Radiation on his spine), she said it was no problem.  We got to the we ship, finally heard just before sailing that the Beyond doesn't have them!  After a miserable cruise (he slept on 5 duvets) they promised they would try to have one for the next cruise... Retreat Concierge apologized they couldn't get one.  We were quite upset, went to our SS, we had a different Room Attendant, he said he had one that someone left on board.. He was a Lifesaver!! 

So from now on, we will bring our own(takes up a suitecase). (30 cruises on Celebrity almost all the ships, they always had bed toppers) 

Why would that be? I have been able to get them on Edge, Apex & Equinox in the last 18 mos.

Celebrity bed are HARD.

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

Why would that be? I have been able to get them on Edge, Apex & Equinox in the last 18 mos.

Celebrity bed are HARD.

Most comfortable bed I ever slept on was penthouse on edge , that was also best butler, definitely treated us like royalty. 

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

No.  In general Sky Suites are not contacted in advance.

We received an email asking our preferences for our May cruise and we are just in a regular Sky Suite.  I did ask for a few things such as the lap blankets since we are on a cold weather itinerary.

33 minutes ago, Bejay219 said:

I wonder if contacting the special needs department prior to sailing would help in your husband’s situation? Might be an option on a future sailing? 🤔 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KKB said:

Celebrity bed are HARD.

We had the bed topper on every cruise on every ship except the Beyond, they claimed the mattresses were new and comfortable so they don't stock them. 

We are going on a Transatlantic B2B2B on the Apex, not taking a chance, so we we I'll pack our ow(wish we didn't have to!) 

Personally I've never written a note to the Butler with a list of things being requested.    If items I requested via the on-shore concierge are not there I ask him about them.   Usually the Bubbly is not Swapped for Chardonnay until the ship has set sail and ships stockroom is opened

All the butlers I have had have a little notebook and if I request something they write it down and it is taken care of. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personally I've never written a note to the Butler with a list of things being requested.    If items I requested via the on-shore concierge are not there I ask him about them.   Usually the Bubbly is not Swapped for Chardonnay until the ship has set sail and ships stockroom is opened

All the butlers I have had have a little notebook and if I request something they write it down and it is taken care of. 

Never needed to write a list either.

Butler always introduces himself day 1 and asks what we might need as he has his notepad out.

We always request coffee at 7:30 with pastries.Cheese plate in the afternoon and that's it.

Anything else ,I pick up the phone and call.

Usually everything is taken care of.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I thought we got a good swap , champagne for duckhorn merlot, a couple of weeks ago on summit.

good idea to look at the wine list and pick a wine in somewhat same price range 

Edited by George C
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, George C said:

I thought we got a good swap , champagne for duckhorn merlot, a couple of weeks ago on summit.

I suspect Duckhorn merlot should be well north of $75 per bottle on board so that’s more than just a “good swap”

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, George C said:

I've found that the "Swap" and "Swap Value" differs between Suit Class -  SS, CS, RS and PS.   I've also been told we could have it sent to Luminae and they would give a trade-in value toward any wine of your choice. 

15 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I suspect Duckhorn merlot should be well north of $75 per bottle on board so that’s more than just a “good swap”

We really like the Duckhorn we brought that as one of our 4 bottles so we had 5 nice wines for dinner . 

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've found that the "Swap" and "Swap Value" differs between Suit Class -  SS, CS, RS and PS.   I've also been told we could have it sent to Luminae and they would give a trade-in value toward any wine of your choice. 

I thought sky and celebrity suites got sparkling wine not champagne, pretty sure we got sparkling on our sky suite vs the real champagne in royal and above.

2 minutes ago, George C said:

We really like the Duckhorn we brought that as one of our 4 bottles so we had 5 nice wines for dinner . 

I thought sky and celebrity suites got sparkling wine not champagne, pretty sure we got sparkling on our sky suite vs the real champagne in royal and above.

If I recall we got  Elegance Chardonnay in CS - I don't drink but Iain said it was pretty bad.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If I recall we got  Elegance Chardonnay in CS - I don't drink but Iain said it was pretty bad.

I believe that was one of the wines they offered by the glass in the retreat, it hit was a Kendal Jackson made for celebrity, I thought the Cabernet was drinkable.

21 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

This is one area where I think Royal Caribbean does it better that Celebrity.  On Royal Caribbean the onboard Suite Concierge reaches out to all suite guest about a week ahead of your sailing not just those in upper suites. 

That's not quite true.  Junior Suites do not hear from the Concierge (and don't have access to the lounge, just as SS didn't back when they began).  In that sense, only the "higher" suites do. 

3 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

That's not quite true.  Junior Suites do not hear from the Concierge (and don't have access to the lounge, just as SS didn't back when they began).  In that sense, only the "higher" suites do. 

I never said anything about Junior Suites, but I guess I should have clarified full suite guest on Royal Caribbean.  Whereas all Suites on Celebrity are 'full suites'. 

• Like 2

We also ask our butler to swap our sparkling wine for a Decoy cab. Never been charged or denied. And we are just in Sky suites. That sparkling wine is awful. However, if we couldn't get it changed for no fee, we'd just leave the sparkling and go get a drink elsewhere!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 39august said:

We also ask our butler to swap our sparkling wine for a Decoy cab. Never been charged or denied. And we are just in Sky suites. That sparkling wine is awful. However, if we couldn't get it changed for no fee, we'd just leave the sparkling and go get a drink elsewhere!

Last year we traded champagne for two bottles of decoy, our trade this year was a better deal for the duckhorn , in Dallas I get decoy for about 15 or less on sale, duckhorn is about 45 .