What's your room number? -- 2 surprises

CaliforniaDon

The last couple of cruises I was asked this multiple times daily (mostly regarding the drink package).  Surprise 1:  

I had my medallion and that info was on there, yet the staff asked ME, and often wrote the info on a scrap of paper.

The second surprise was how annoying that became.  We passengers are paying for the technology (medallions are not really free)

yet it appeared easier for staff to have US tell them.  One time, when I told the waiter that my "room number" was on the medallion, he said that he could use that if I didn't mind waiting "for ever".  Slow internet? poor hand held devices (or not all staff has them)? too clumsy a procedure for staff?

Whatever the reason, we should never have to give them our "room" number.  It is, however, nice when some bartender conversations went

"Could I have a Heineken please?"    then: either "Donald?"   "Thank you Donald, enjoy"  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CaliforniaDon said:

The last couple of cruises I was asked this multiple times daily (mostly regarding the drink package).  Surprise 1:  

I had my medallion and that info was on there, yet the staff asked ME, and often wrote the info on a scrap of paper.

The second surprise was how annoying that became.  We passengers are paying for the technology (medallions are not really free)

yet it appeared easier for staff to have US tell them.  One time, when I told the waiter that my "room number" was on the medallion, he said that he could use that if I didn't mind waiting "for ever".  Slow internet? poor hand held devices (or not all staff has them)? too clumsy a procedure for staff?

Whatever the reason, we should never have to give them our "room" number.  It is, however, nice when some bartender conversations went

"Could I have a Heineken please?"    then: either "Donald?"   "Thank you Donald, enjoy"  

The same thing happened to me on my last two cruises. I was asked for my cabin number every single time I ordered a drink.

I felt uncomfortable doing that with other people around because they could just repeat my cabin number the next time they wanted a drink, which may be the reason almost every day I would have to go to guest services to have a charge removed. It was weird because it was usually a can of soda, they would ask me ‘did you order a can of soda’? 
I never ordered cans of soda as they are not covered under the drink package.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CaliforniaDon said:

I think they ask when there's a large group of people around and they can't distinguish who is who. I'm pretty recognizable in a group of people and was rarely asked for my room number when we were onboard last month. My husband has many doppelgängers and was often asked. That said, I would rather they asked for your last name instead of your room number because I don't want everyone to know where I'm staying. 

• Like 6

This might be to confirm who you are.  I'm guessing the crew sees you picture and name amongst several other cruisers in the area.  On some voyages, the demographics on Princess cruises is pretty similar so if there are 4 or 5 caucasians with brown hair in the pool area, this might be how they confirm who is who.  Or their devices are frozen.  Either way, its better than getting the wrong drink, or someone else getting your drink (I've had that happen to me, fortunately it was just a club soda)

• Like 4

Last November / December I had heard from someone working on one of the ships that they suddenly removed the tablets from the dining rooms and bars.  Apparently Princess was paying a fee to the company that owned the tablets and there were supposed to be (presumably cheaper) replacements coming.  Sounds like that hasn't happened yet and they are still back to old school pen and paper.

• Thanks 1

To be honest, given the time it takes for wait staff to scan your Medallion,  then find the drinks on their device, input the details etc, I'll take the pen and paper approach every time.

We have been ordering copious drinks over the last seven days, the majority using the pen and paper approach, and have had no problems at all.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, tonit964 said:

The same thing happened to me on my last two cruises. I was asked for my cabin number every single time I ordered a drink.

I felt uncomfortable doing that with other people around because they could just repeat my cabin number the next time they wanted a drink, which may be the reason almost every day I would have to go to guest services to have a charge removed. It was weird because it was usually a can of soda, they would ask me ‘did you order a can of soda’? 
I never ordered cans of soda as they are not covered under the drink package.

On one of our cruises, DH really hated having to loudly say our room number. He took a piece of paper, wrote the room number on it and every time a server asked for it, he whipped it out of his pocket and showed it to them. Caused less repeats when they mis-heard what he said also....

😊

• Like 12

I don't know why they ask and have seen it both ways.  Whatever the case, saying "R435" won't move the needle at all when it comes to things to be concerned about. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

To be honest, given the time it takes for wait staff to scan your Medallion,  then find the drinks on their device, input the details etc, I'll take the pen and paper approach every time.

We have been ordering copious drinks over the last seven days, the majority using the pen and paper approach, and have had no problems at all.

Oh yes!  It is too time consuming with app

• Like 1

Why not just give each passenger a plastic card with their name and room number on it to show to the waiter staff when ordering a drink. If they do this they can also color code the card to indicate what level you are with Princess. 

Edited by WmFCoyote
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 20

19 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

Why not just give each passenger a plastic card with their name and room number on it to show to the waiter staff when ordering a drink. If they do this they can also color code the card to indicate what level you are with Princess. 

That was called a key card!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

Bartender that we spent the most time with last month said he had to write it all down and enter into the system at the end of his shift because the technology didn't work well. Also, apparently more than a few people think they are being cute when they put photos of their dog in as their medallion photo.  He was like am I supposed to say "Drink for dog!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, geomapper said:

I noticed the same thing on our recent cruise. I think it’s just quicker when they are busy to right it down and process it later. 

This exactly. I asked the bartenders about it and this was their response. 

I don't know it its right or wrong to "have to" give our room number, but at the end of the day, the medallions and all the crap is still a POS system and POS systems are a pain in the ass. The alternative to just letting the crew do their thing is, as a pax, standing there watching them fiddle around with the computer/tablet one by one, transaction by transaction.  

OP, just let the bartenders do their jobs man. It'll be alright, I promise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WmFCoyote said:

I call that back to the future!  I have not been on Princess since New Year cruise from 2021 into 2022.  Since then have sailed on Oceania, RCI, Celebrity, Holland, Azamara and I had a plastic key card.  Worked great and got fantastic crew service who knew my name, face, what I usually ordered, etc!  Most lines had apps for Daily events, check accout, etc.

I am cruising 21 day Enchanted May 6.  I am dreading the Medallion and impersonal “order delivery crew”.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Totally agree!  The process *with* the medallions (in this case) really gets slowed down and they are trying to be as efficient as possible.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Fa-Li said:

Also, apparently more than a few people think they are being cute when they put photos of their dog in as their medallion photo.  He was like am I supposed to say "Drink for dog!"

That only works for certain things, such as  your  door display. For security checks and ordering drinks etc, your actual photo is displayed

• Like 4

I have found it to be mixed,  with the room number being picked up from the medallion vs being asking for a room number. I have also found when ordering a soft drink or a bottled water at the busy pool bars, many times they dont even check or ask, they just hand it out and move on. 

I pray for the day when verbally stating my cabin number is the most annoying thing that happens to me each day. I’m not rich enough or important enough to worry about someone overhearing my cabin number. If someone really cares, they can simply follow me discreetly as I go back to my cabin the way a private detective might. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, CaliforniaDon said:

I had my medallion and that info was on there, yet the staff asked ME, and often wrote the info on a scrap of paper

They are doing this to speed up your drink request, and those after you. The POS (point of sale...although the other term works too!) often gets slow, or takes time to get through. Easier to just get your room number and put in through later.

2 hours ago, WmFCoyote said:

Royal, Celebrity, HAL. Use keycards. Still just ask for your room number when they get busy or the POS gets slow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fa-Li said:

apparently more than a few people think they are being cute when they put photos of their dog in as their medallion photo.

Maybe in the minority, but I like seeing the photos of dogs, flags, statements, beaches, etc show up when I'm waiting for the elevators, playing games, etc

Mine's not of a dog, but it's not my own photo except for security.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:. If someone really cares, they can simply follow me discreetly as I go back to my cabin the way a private detective might. 

I knew I shouldn’t have worn my fedora when I followed you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2