Edge refurb

Cruiscs

Is Edge scheduled to get a refurburbishment this fall? Anyone been on her recently - How is the general condition of the ship? Have heard reports about stains on chusions and ripped chairs. Wouldnt broken and ripped chairs be easy to be replaced without a drydock?

18 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The purpose of dry dock is the regular 5 year  maintenance and inspection of the major systems.  They will no doubt replace some worn items but I wouldn’t expect any substantial changes.

But do they wait many years for a drydock  to replace worn furniture? 

Edited by Cruiscs

I guess it would depend on what furniture and how much, they can only store so much.

We we’re on the Edge a short time ago and didn’t see any broken furniture or any that had excessive wear.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Saw this on Facebook. This should be easy to replace. 

47FBAE1E-E4BA-4CAD-B5B5-5166252114C4.jpeg

Certainly  - there are several crew who have the job of maintaining and repairing stuff.  If you want perfect best not go to any hotel, motel, airport, airplane or cruise ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

But do they wait many years for a drydock  to replace worn furniture? 

To answer your question, no.   Again the 5 year drydock is required to certify as seaworthy.  Has nothing to do with cosmetic issues.

Replacing all "worn furniture " immediately?  Think about what that could mean.

• Like 1

No disrespect meant but this gave me a chuckle.  A number of Celebrity ships had their revolutionizing postponed indefinitely due to Covid and someone is concerned about a relatively new Edge class ship being a little worn and torn?  Wow.  Any ship that has been used for awhile is going to show a little wear, and yes, they always will be doing some maintenance onboard for major issues.  But to expect these new ships to get any major cosmetic type maintenance prior to the much older ships is really unrealistic I think.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

No disrespect meant but this gave me a chuckle.  A number of Celebrity ships had their revolutionizing postponed indefinitely due to Covid and someone is concerned about a relatively new Edge class ship being a little worn and torn?  Wow.  Any ship that has been used for awhile is going to show a little wear, and yes, they always will be doing some maintenance onboard for major issues.  But to expect these new ships to get any major cosmetic type maintenance prior to the much older ships is really unrealistic I think.  

I was on Millie in Asia a number of years ago. I was in Michaels Club. I sat down and crossed my legs. I started to put my shoe on the corner of the chair seat. 1st thought oh dont do that!!! The corner of the chair was already worn, as others had done the same thing. While I did not put my shoe on the corner. It did make me feel right at home in MC.

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

Agreed..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 10:46 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

To answer your question, no.   Again the 5 year drydock is required to certify as seaworthy.  Has nothing to do with cosmetic issues.

Replacing all "worn furniture " immediately?  Think about what that could mean.

I see that they now have replaced all the furniture at sunset bar. So it is possible without a refurb

A88AB1A8-675C-4127-AD50-786EF06B81F0.jpeg

47BEE333-BAE1-4EF5-AD1A-AD1CB943477B.jpeg

Edited by Cruiscs
  • Like 1

As of two weeks ago, Apex also needed new sunset bar cushions, and we observed a chair leg at Mast Grill snap and collapse under a guest. As an aside the solarium elevator bank on Deck 14 gets extra slippery too. Seemed to be a well known issue that could be fixed with an indoor / outdoor rug or new flooring. 

5 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

I see that they now have replaced all the furniture at sunset bar. So it is possible without a refurb

A88AB1A8-675C-4127-AD50-786EF06B81F0.jpeg

47BEE333-BAE1-4EF5-AD1A-AD1CB943477B.jpeg

It's just masking the fundamental "soot" problem! You can no longer see the racing-stripes from all the soot being brushed away from the light-colored cushions. This is also a problem on all alf SV staterooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

It's just masking the fundamental "soot" problem! You can no longer see the racing-stripes from all the soot being brushed away from the light-colored cushions. This is also a problem on all alf SV staterooms.

There's really no easy/affordable way to fix it...RCI's new class of ships and X's chief competitor, Princess, are fueled by LNG (no ash), therefore it's fairly good odds X will go LNG after the E-Class

On 4/9/2023 at 3:48 PM, Cruiscs said:

Is Edge scheduled to get a refurburbishment this fall? Anyone been on her recently - How is the general condition of the ship? Have heard reports about stains on chusions and ripped chairs. Wouldnt broken and ripped chairs be easy to be replaced without a drydock?

We were on the Edge in late March to Panama Canal and this ship is still in great shape.

I would say they could use some softer mattresses.

Edited by Cruise till you drop
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 4/9/2023 at 3:45 PM, phoenix_dream said:

Gave you a chuckle? We are frequent cruisers and when we see worn or damaged furniture, walls or lamps etc that are old and in need, it only lessens the fun and puts us in a different "space" than when things are spiffy, clean and "fresh" feeling! Fresh doesn't have to mean "new." It can just mean clean and without damage. THAT is what we'd be expecting on a ship of Edge's class and distinction. We're sailing in three weeks and I hope not to be disappointed.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, Cruiscs said:

Not sure if the original question was answered?  Is she scheduled for a drydock this fall???? 

51 minutes ago, whitshel said:

Not sure if the original question was answered?  Is she scheduled for a drydock this fall???? 

I found this on a post -

Has Celebrity Edge been refurbished?

This revolutionary cruise ship can accommodate up to 3,385 guests. With a gross tonnage of 129,500 and a length of 1,073 ft, this ship is sure to leave a lasting impression. As Celebrity ships are refurbished at least every five years, Celebrity Edge will undergo its first renovation in October 2023.

The schedule seems to support this as there is a 2 week gap between the October 7-14 cruise and the October 30th beginning of the 4 segment World Cruise. 

This will generally include rebuilding the Pods, repainting the Hull and some soft good and interior repairs.   She will also have her re-certification and sea trials.

image.thumb.png.eeadb07da04e4a68a4be7cdbb609da0b.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I found this on a post -

Has Celebrity Edge been refurbished?

This revolutionary cruise ship can accommodate up to 3,385 guests. With a gross tonnage of 129,500 and a length of 1,073 ft, this ship is sure to leave a lasting impression. As Celebrity ships are refurbished at least every five years, Celebrity Edge will undergo its first renovation in October 2023.

The schedule seems to support this as there is a 2 week gap between the October 7-14 cruise and the October 30th beginning of the 4 segment World Cruise. 

This will generally include rebuilding the Pods, repainting the Hull and some soft good and interior repairs.   She will also have her re-certification and sea trials.

image.thumb.png.eeadb07da04e4a68a4be7cdbb609da0b.png

Do you (or anybody else) happen to know what the diamond on the Dec 21 cruise means?
We are on that sailing and I am just curious, thanks 🙂

Just got of the Edge 2 days ago.

She is indeed going on drydock after the current cruise. So after next Saturday they'll head to Marseille, France for 2 weeks.

As far as I heard no major changes, some staff mentioned basic things like technical maintenance, new carpets left and right, things like fixing up the pool areas, etc