Returning to the same ports multiple times?

On 4/10/2023 at 7:32 PM, Selbourne said:

Having been countless times, Gibraltar does absolutely nothing for us. It’s a great shame that more ships can’t get into Ceuta, a Spanish enclave cut out of Morocco, directly opposite Gibraltar. One of the nicest places in the Med that we have been to.

Next month we have Gib swapped to Malaga. Result!

• Like 10

On 4/10/2023 at 9:13 PM, zap99 said:

We have been on well over 30 cruises and have never stayed on the ship when it docks. We even find Gibraltar interesting.

we stayed on the ship once. I was very cross. 
we booked msc for Northern Europe, did not think at all about seeing if anything was closed. 
hamburg on Sundays is shut it says. So we stayed on the ship- other people ended up In McDonald’s after paying shuttle prices. It was like £40 For 4 of us which I thought was steep. 

anyway when we go on iona the iron farm and the archeology museum is closed on Mondays. And we are there on a Monday. Didn’t want to pay the extra for private excursions so looks like I will be going back to the bar in Stavanger for the nice but short looking Viking bar man. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are happy to visit the same ports that we like as we often take an excursion to have different experiences. E.g. We've been to Mykonos lots of times but have done walking tours of the town, taken ourselves for a stroll, done a boat trip and another excursion of the island and a meal at a stunning restaurant. Always happy to go there and enjoy a drink on the quay side.

One place we could visit over and over is Kotor - just stunning. Love Katakolon -we just like to stroll this little town and have a drink by the quay side. (There is a theme developing)

Other definites: Rhodes, Santorini, Venice, Dubrovnik and La Coruna

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snaefell said:

Gibraltar was on our bucket list & one of the reasons for booking,shame!😎

Believe me ( and it is only an opinion) Gibraltar has nothing to offer unless you are into wartime history. The rock looks like a small hill in the Pennines and the town itself looks as though it is in the middle of a war still. We found it grubby and boring...on our one and only visit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Yorkypete said:

Believe me ( and it is only an opinion) Gibraltar has nothing to offer unless you are into wartime history. The rock looks like a small hill in the Pennines and the town itself looks as though it is in the middle of a war still. We found it grubby and boring...on our one and only visit.

we love Gibraltar and was one of the reasons o booked that particular cruise- until hubby overruled me for the Caribbean 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

anyway when we go on iona the iron farm and the archeology museum is closed on Mondays. And we are there on a Monday. Didn’t want to pay the extra for private excursions so looks like I will be going back to the bar in Stavanger for the nice but short looking Viking bar man. 

When you see the bar prices in Norway you might have a heart attack.

Brian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We are happy to visit the same ports that we like as we often take an excursion to have different experiences. E.g. We've been to Mykonos lots of times but have done walking tours of the town, taken ourselves for a stroll, done a boat trip and another excursion of the island and a meal at a stunning restaurant. Always happy to go there and enjoy a drink on the quay side.

One place we could visit over and over is Kotor - just stunning. Love Katakolon -we just like to stroll this little town and have a drink by the quay side. (There is a theme developing)

Other definites: Rhodes, Santorini, Venice, Dubrovnik and La Coruna

Katakolon is a twice only place for me. Once for Olympia and once for the town. I've visited far more picturesque Greek villages to want to see Katakolon more than once...

Kotor is definitely on my wishlist but getting to see it is not easy sadly.

2 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

I am no fan of Gib but it has cleaned up Main Street a bit over the years and the Ocean Village marina is vaguely smart. Apart from that it is a bit dull and for me, far too British. I really don't want a 'Little Britain' on a Med cruise thank you...

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

already been. It cos us about £17 think I got a pint and two cans of pop. 

Need to also pay for Uber to swords and back 

Would you let me know the cost when you get back, please 

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Katakolon is a twice only place for me. Once for Olympia and once for the town. I've visited far more picturesque Greek villages to want to see Katakolon more than once...

Kotor is definitely on my wishlist but getting to see it is not easy sadly.

We did a small train ride last time to a vineyard and a lovely beach. Like a ho ho train. Whatever each to their own.. for some reason we like it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We did a small train ride last time to a vineyard and a lovely beach. Like a ho ho train. Whatever each to their own.. for some reason we like it.

This is our choice, of what to do there.  Nice cafes over looking the beach too.  We still have time to sit and have a drink on the waterfront at Katakolon too. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, happy v said:

Would you let me know the cost when you get back, please 

When we went to Alesund we went into a bar near the cruise terminal,4 hours later the owner had his accordion out,everybody was singing & we were having such a good time the price became pretty much irrelevant!😂

Edited by snaefell
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Britboys said:

I am no fan of Gib but it has cleaned up Main Street a bit over the years and the Ocean Village marina is vaguely smart. Apart from that it is a bit dull and for me, far too British. I really don't want a 'Little Britain' on a Med cruise thank you...

On our one and only visit to Gibraltar we met an old friend of my wife who lived there, she took us on a quick tour of the best spots. If we ever docked there again we would probably stay on board, my wife’s friend has since moved across the border into Spain to live with her partner, after 5 years living in Gibraltar got bored and moved.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:14 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

Never been to Lisbon. But a friend of mind said it's great for foodie options?

So was looking forward to visiting one day?

It's very nice to explore Lisbon (we were there 5 times on cruises and land tours); food is exceptional - each restaurant is unique with taste like homemade in almost each of them (fish is the best)!

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

It's very nice to explore Lisbon (we were there 5 times on cruises and land tours); food is exceptional - each restaurant is unique with taste like homemade in almost each of them (fish is the best)!

Agree, the sardines are the excellent

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

If they ever have awards for best poster on here - I'm voting for you!!

Everything you post makes me smile!!

Lol

Cheers 😂 it’s probably cos I’m blonde sometimes (even though it’s now dyed red)

I have a little obsession with spreadsheets so I know exactly what I spent on board every cruise (5) and Florida. It’s so I know how to budget so I will get the amounts. I just forget if people need them. 

Same as I came into the spare room today trying to pack suitcases and couldn’t remember why I’d done it. Took me a good 10mins and ranting at my hubby that he should have been listening to whatever I was rattling on about as neither of us could remember. 
I’m blaming my kids. I had brains til I had them

• Haha 7

13 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

Just lost Taranto for Katokolon for my cruise from Malta in July which is disappointing as the only reason we'd booked the cruise was because of Taranto being a new port for us.

Please write in to Paul Ludlow.  Why they are constantly removing ports from schedules beats me.  Never had it happen in all my years cruising, not unless it was weather.