Turning 21 during cruise

con3

23 minutes ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

In the past you could go to Guest Services and get a new ID on your 21st birthday.

They usually don't acknowledge other birthdays - going from one children's group to another, however.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Technically your age for the trip is based on your age boarding on day 1.  So they could disallow someone in this scenario. But I’ve read reports that they will change the status mid cruise.  Not sure it is a guarantee either way.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

Technically your age for the trip is based on your age boarding on day 1.  So they could disallow someone in this scenario. But I’ve read reports that they will change the status mid cruise.  Not sure it is a guarantee either way.  

It can only benefit Royal to make the change.  Anyone interested in getting their age changed from 20 to 21 is going to want to buy alcoholic drinks...  more money for Royal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

It can only benefit Royal to make the change.  Anyone interested in getting their age changed from 20 to 21 is going to want to buy alcoholic drinks...  more money for Royal.

Or drink off of their friends unlimited plan.  😂😂😂.    I could see a lot of scenarios where it isn’t to Royals benefit.   But i agree, in general it would probably benefit them in most cases.  

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

Or drink off of their friends unlimited plan.  😂😂😂.    I could see a lot of scenarios where it isn’t to Royals benefit.   But i agree, in general it would probably benefit them in most cases.  

You don’t need to turn 21 officially to drink off their friends unlimited plan you know…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tatka said:

You don’t need to turn 21 officially to drink off their friends unlimited plan you know…

That’s most certainly true.   Problem solved because they can drink regardless of being 21.  😂😂.  And let’s be honest, how many 21 year olds are buying drinks at the current prices?   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Been long time since was brought up on here, maybe 4-5yrs. But in past when caught Sharing your Drinking Plan Royal would cancel it and charge for all the Drinks. Was a few that confirmed this happened, know I saw it done

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Been long time since was brought up on here, maybe 4-5yrs. But in past when caught Sharing your Drinking Plan Royal would cancel it and charge for all the Drinks. Was a few that confirmed this happened, know I saw it done

This is official rule.

People break it. Maybe punishment is more severe if you share with underaged?

11 hours ago, con3 said:

Hello. Wondering ifanyone has cruised with someone that has turned 21 during the cruise. Wondering if they can drink once they are 21.

Thanks

Official language from the Guest Conduct Policy (Alcohol Section).

"In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require it, Royal Caribbean Group may
modify this policy which may also require a parent or guardian’s request or authorization.
Guests may contact Guest Services or refer to the cruise information in their stateroom
for minimum drinking age information specific to their cruise vacation. For purposes of
complying with the minimum age to drink or possess alcoholic beverages, a guest’s age is
established at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates his or her
birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the
guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify the ship’s records to
permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will
be required to appear at Guest Services to present a valid government-issued form of
identification to permit verification of their age.
"

• Like 3

19 hours ago, topnole said:

Please name one.  For it to not be "to Royals benefit" means Royal would have to lose money on updating the card.  Now, if they update the card and the person doesn't purchase an alcoholic beverage, they're out the cost of the card and the time to make the card.  

As mentioned, they don't have to be 21 to drink off their friends (or family) plan.  

20 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Then drinking age is 21.

when did this change? When I was 19 about 20 years ago, I went on a Celebrity sailing and was able to drink and gamble without issue. I sailed out of Baltimore that time

5 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

when did this change? When I was 19 about 20 years ago, I went on a Celebrity sailing and was able to drink and gamble without issue. I sailed out of Baltimore that time

I queried Royal on their website and this is what it said for leaving from US.  Leaving from other countries, such as in Asia, it is 18. Long past the age issue and granddaughter is still too young.

23 minutes ago, Miloomar said:

Drink liquor? Or just beer and wine?  That was an old policy that was discontinued the year my son turned 18.  Boy, was he p*ssed!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Drink liquor? Or just beer and wine? That was an old policy that was discontinued the year my son turned 18. Boy, was he p*ssed!

I was drinking the drink of the day mostly to save money hehe. Learned some new drinks like the tequila sunrise and such that a 19 year old wouldn't know about. I don't know if the drink package was even a thing back then, but as a poor college kid, not sure i could have afforded it anyway 

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Please name one.  For it to not be "to Royals benefit" means Royal would have to lose money on updating the card.  Now, if they update the card and the person doesn't purchase an alcoholic beverage, they're out the cost of the card and the time to make the card.  

As mentioned, they don't have to be 21 to drink off their friends (or family) plan.  

First and foremost liability.  Zero benefit for them to have a brand new 21 year who is surely in a demographic of most likely to get severely intoxicated and do something stupid.  That is just a legal reason to not do it.  

Second is financial. If others just “buy” them drinks off of their diamond drinks or drink packages it doesn’t benefit Royal.  And 21 year old aren’t very likely to be shelling out for beers at $9-10 beers or individual drinks that cost $15+.   Now yes they could do that underage.  But if caught drinking while under 21 there are consequences.  There aren’t any if over 21.   I can’t give my diamond drinks (alcohol) to a 20 year old.  I can give them to a 21 year old.  So there are most certainly ways this isn’t a benefit at all to Royal.  

With all that said, I could care less either way.  I cruised as an 18 year old and back then you could drink onboard.  It was a blast and we surely did a bunch of stupid things. I don’t remember them however.  

My son turned 18 on a cruise out of Bahamas (18 to drink there).  He was kicked out of the teens club so I spoke with the Diamond Concierge and she was able to get my son his full 'adult' benefits. He was allowed to use his Diamond drinks for alcoholic beverages.  And before anyone asks, he did not get drunk and act like a jerk; he was just excited to be treated like an adult. 😜

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rouque said:

My son turned 18 on a cruise out of Bahamas (18 to drink there).  He was kicked out of the teens club so I spoke with the Diamond Concierge and she was able to get my son his full 'adult' benefits. He was allowed to use his Diamond drinks for alcoholic beverages.  And before anyone asks, he did not get drunk and act like a jerk; he was just excited to be treated like an adult. 😜

I bet he was loving that.  Glad you got to enjoy it with him.