Ft Lauderdale Airport Update

FLAlaska

Due to the flooding, the airport just announced they will continue to be closed until at least 5am tomorrow. If you have plans to fly in tomorrow, please keep checking with your airlines.

We still have flooded runways and roads leading into and out of the airport. 

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

Due to the flooding, the airport just announced they will continue to be closed until at least 5am tomorrow. If you have plans to fly in tomorrow, please keep checking with your airlines.

We still have flooded runways and roads leading into and out of the airport. 

Wow… I just heard about that on our local news.  That’s incredible!  They were warning people to just stay off the roads.  I’m am wondering how the cruise ships will respond.  

Stay safe everybody.  

Thanks for sharing. It's hard to imagine any Florida city flooding badly enough to close the airport. They have to be prepared for hurricanes after all.

I'm sorry for those who are affected. I'm glad the cruise I'm on now is returning to Galveston. They had their flood issues last week.

10 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing. It's hard to imagine any Florida city flooding badly enough to close the airport. They have to be prepared for hurricanes after all.

I'm sorry for those who are affected. I'm glad the cruise I'm on now is returning to Galveston. They had their flood issues last week.

I was there in February and it was raining hard.  Flights were delayed.  Our Uber ride to the airport was terrible as they have no decent sewer system.  And that was just a few inches.  This was 22.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Hurricanes move on. This cell stayed over FLL for a long time.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wonder how this affected the parking garage ground floor of Princess terminal 2?  Surely there's lots of passengers who have cars there?

I understand the Port is opened but haven't heard anything about the parking garages. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Hurricanes move on. This cell stayed over FLL for a long time.

To put this into perspective, the rain total over a 24 hour period was over 25 inches.  In the past 25 years, there has not been a single MONTH that has seen 20 inches of rain, and that includes every hurricane that has hit southern FL.  So take the rainiest MONTH in the past 25 years, compress all the rain into a single day, and you would still be 20% shy of what happened in a single 24 hour period.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Wonder how this affected the parking garage ground floor of Princess terminal 2?  Surely there's lots of passengers who have cars there?

I would expect the parking garage to be OK because it is not lower than the ground around it which can drain directly into the port.  Not like the airport that has buildings and other raised areas between it and the sea, relying on the storm drain system.

At this time officials are hoping to open FLL on 04/14/2023 @ 5:00 am. They are stating it will be a slow opening and may take several day to return to normal. If you have a flight arriving or departing from FLL for a cruise over the next few days you should be looking to change your airport to Miami International Airport (MIA) or Palm Beach International Airport (PBI). Good luck. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Traveler1977 said:

At this time officials are hoping to open FLL on 04/14/2023 @ 5:00 am. They are stating it will be a slow opening and may take several day to return to normal. If you have a flight arriving or departing from FLL for a cruise over the next few days you should be looking to change your airport to Miami International Airport (MIA) or Palm Beach International Airport (PBI). Good luck. 

From what I've been reading in a frequent flyer group I belong to MIA and PBI are booked up too.  For anyone having to get in for a cruise they may have to do MCO (Orlando) or another airport further away and rent a car.

• Like 1

South Florida TV stations are covering this flooding event nonstop.  They’re interviewing people arriving at FLL for a flight who state they weren’t notified by their airlines that their flights were cancelled.  IF YOU ARE SCHEDULED TO FLY IN OR OUT OF FLL, DON’T WAIT FOR THE AIRLINES TO CONTACT YOU.  CHECK YOUR FLIGHT STATUS.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, pathi said:

Ground floor of the building my company HQ is in has 2ft of water in ground floor. It's across the street from Federal Building downtown.

I wonder how many hotels have similar problems. Everything I've seen on the news is about the airport. 

Just now, eclue said:

Thank goodness!!!

I'm also seeing a few MAJORS taking off from FLL as well, so the airport must be opening up.  You can see the live information on the flightaware main page.  You can also look at scheduled departures from other airports to FLL as well.  I use this tool all of the time to see if my inbound flight has departed from it's originating airport.  Then I KNOW that the flight is arriving.  Hope all is good for everyone getting there.  

currently on jet blue flight from LAX to FLL will be landing at 8pm. Slight delay leaving from LAX.

Only 1 runway open and some throttling of flights causing some delays, but the airport is operating.