Holland website advertising $1 deposits only for tomorrow, April 18.

ColonyGirl2

2 hours ago, RD64 said:

The problem with the $1 deposits is that people will book multiple deposits for cruises that they have no intention of taking until the price decreases to an acceptable price several years from now - thereby tying up inventory.

Agree but it’s nothing new.  I know people do it as a place holder all the time.  If I’m not pretty darn sure I’m not going to book it.

35 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I found the answer to my question on how long I have before transferring the reservation over to my travel agent.  Now curious if we transfer the booking, do we have to pay a full deposit to the TA before the final is due?

No, the TA just is the go between you and HAL.  The final payment due dates are set by HAL.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much!  We booked the 14-Day Britain, Scotland & Ireland - May 2024 cruise.

Very excited!   I hope that those that said that the promotion might be extended another day are right.  Would love to see if relatives could join us.

8 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I found the answer to my question on how long I have before transferring the reservation over to my travel agent.  Now curious if we transfer the booking, do we have to pay a full deposit to the TA before the final is due?

We have never been asked by our TA to pay more than the $1 pp deposit from a previous promo offering many months ago. Final payment coming up in May.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oakridger said:

No, the TA just is the go between you and HAL.  The final payment due dates are set by HAL.

This is only partially true. 

Yes, the final payment due date is set by HAL

But, if you use a travel agent it is very likely they will have final payment due ahead of HAL's final payment to provide a grace period.

Side note: Refunds/Penalties should always coincide with HAL's payment schedule. 

Low deposits are happening quite frequently across the industry. I believe this is a way to show in accounting there are 'record bookings'. All the cruise lines are boasting they have record bookings compared to 2019, yet none are sailing full according to the reports filed with the SEC. Sure, some ships on popular dates, doing popular destinations are sailing full, but overall all of the cruise lines are reporting to the SEC that occupancy is down compared to 2019. CCL reported occupancy in the 80% range for Q1. It won't be until the next quarterly release that we find out exactly how may people ended up on each sailing and how many people used these low deposits as place holders. 

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

CCL reported occupancy in the 80% range for Q1. It won't be until the next quarterly release that we find out exactly how may people ended up on each sailing and how many people used these low deposits as place holders. 

Not a surprise.