Iceland/Norway

We are considering an Iceland/Norway cruise in August.  Has anyone done this that can help with clothing.  Should we be prepared for REALLY cold temps (like coats, gloves, boots, etc)..light weight jackets?? Assuming shorts and tshirts are out of the question🙄

I KNOW weather changes but just wondering to conserve luggage space. 
thanks

Layers. Its all about layers. Outer layer should be wind and waterproof.

We were in Iceland in July 2022...strained to get to 60 (our one stop in Norway), more like mid 50s every day. 30s at night. Windy, and Iceland is known for rain.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Layers. Its all about layers. Outer layer should be wind and waterproof.

We were in Iceland in July 2022...strained to get to 60 (our one stop in Norway), more like mid 50s every day. 30s at night. Windy, and Iceland is known for rain.

Last year it was 70 degrees at the North Cape the day we were there. Very unusual, but you can never tell.

14 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

“Really” cold is also relative. What’s cold to this Texan is not so much to someone from Minnesota. Layers for sure and prepare for wind and rain. 

We're from Minnesota and have been having high temps in the 30's this past week.  We're anxious for 50's this coming week!  Now going from 80's in Minnesota to 50's in July would be cold. It's all relative.

Edited by tiki_g1000

easy enough to look up average temperatures and precipitation for your ports.  Do be prepared for wind and expect rain every day in Iceland.  It won't rain constantly but often enough you'll want to be ready for it

• Like 1

We did this last August; it rained some most days.  Layers and waterproof for sure, and don't forget waterproof shoes.  I took waterproof hiking shoes with goretex and didn't have any problems.  I wore silk long johns under my hiking pants and was warm, and the pants dried quickly, but then I didn't go on any small boat rides.  If you are going to Vigur island, or any small boat ride, you might want something warmer.

A lot has to do with what you are going to do.  I'm from Colorado and most days a long sleeve t, sweater/fleece, and rain shell were enough, but when I was on a walking tour in Alesund in the rain, the damp cold got to me and I walked back to the ship.

@willow surfside: You stated, "We are considering an Iceland/Norway cruise in August.".

My best advice to you is that the shore excursion companies fill up FAST!!!!! Make your decision very soon or wait until Summer 2024.

We are going this June and even last year, some of the companies and their tours were already booked. Summer is very busy for Norway and Iceland.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sunchaser247 said:

Booked Iceland/Norway/Amerstand/Belguim 10 nt NCL Prima for Sept 7. Working on excursions.  What is recommended for Isafjordur Iceland, Akureyri Iceland, Alesund Iceland for excursions?

Alesund is in Norway, not Iceland.

Booked Iceland/Norway/Amerstand/Belguim 10 nt NCL Prima for Sept 7. Working on excursions.  What is recommended for Isafjordur Iceland, Akureyri Iceland, Alesund Iceland for excursions?

Isafjordur - Vigor Island

Akureyri - Botanical Gardens

Alesund - Just walk around the town, Museum, climb the hill for view.

Vigur for Isafjordur or any of the Nature trips (Myvatn, Dettifoss, etc) for Akureyri.

But really, it's all about what YOU want to see, not what @janetcblor I want to see.  Why did you pick Iceland?

We are doing the same cruise except in the opposite order in August.

In Isafjordur, we booked a private excursion.

Isafjordur Guide - Walks in Iceland

In Akureyri we also intend to go to the botanical gardens like the previous poster. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We are doing the same cruise except in the opposite order in August.

In Isafjordur, we booked a private excursion.

Isafjordur Guide - Walks in Iceland

In Akureyri we also intend to go to the botanical gardens like the previous poster. 

I should note that the private tour in Isafjorudur is one I hope is great but we will not know until mid-August. So that is just to inform you what we are intending to do, not per se a recommendation.

As for Alesund which is not in Iceland but you asked about, we have booked a ship's tour, City walk and Art Nouveau Center.

Akureyri offers the opportunity to visit the most interesting and unique  features which Iceland is famous for.  Sights/sites you cannot see anywhere else and a real treat to explore.  I would do these over a botanical garden as there are multiple opportunities to visit gardens like these around the world.

This is one of the previous threads bout Akureyri.and it would be worthwhile reading it.  It doesn't start off that way but stick with it as the info and advice changes a few posts in.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2910739-akureyri-activities/#comment-64715461

there is really no need for an excursion in Alesund as it is a favourite DIY port, as you dock centrally, there are various transport options for sightseeing  and it is an attractive town. 

Most of what you would want to know about Alesund can be found on this past thread.so definitely worth reading through. This is another example of why it is good to read past threads.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2826391-alesund-norway/#comment-62526938

You could of course pull up all previous threads and replies for each of your ports and read what others have done and how they did it.  If you do not know how to use the SEARCH TOOL, go to the general N. Europe and Baltic Ports forum, not an individual thread, and insert the name of your port calls one at a time into the empty search box under your username then hit the little spy glass.  All threads containing that word on that forum will appear ready for you to read.

Works on other forums too, if eg you were cruising ports in Spain or Greece or France or wherever, you only need be on the correct forum for that country.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

We’ll be in Iceland this month. I’ve done a lot of research and am set for tours etc., but have a question about gnats and mosquitoes. Should we bring bug spray? We did get a couple of very cheap head nets after reading a post about biting gnats at Lake Myvatn. 

14 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

We’ll be in Iceland this month. I’ve done a lot of research and am set for tours etc., but have a question about gnats and mosquitoes. Should we bring bug spray? We did get a couple of very cheap head nets after reading a post about biting gnats at Lake Myvatn. 

The flies can be very annoying, but they don't bite. Not sure how soon they come out. They were pretty active in July.

30 minutes ago, Crystabel said:

I believe there are no mosquitos in Iceland.   While on a Lake Myvatn excursion we did notice the very small flying bugs (gnats?).    There were places were they were pretty numerous and flying around your head.   However, that was really only down by the water.   No one had any bug spray or head nets and I think everyone was fine since it was a short stay.   I would say don't worry about it.  However, if you are camping or something like that, likely you need protection.  

Head nets aren't a bad idea.  They are cheap, don't take up much space in your bags, and are environmentally friendly.  We did 2 nights in Myvatn awhile back and the bugs were annoying but that was about it.   

Didn't see many insects at all in the rest of the country and we've been there many times

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If your cruise stop at Akureyri Iceland for 12 hours, it is worthwhile to take Jewels of the North Tour . After the tour, you can drop at the town and walk to the botanical garden which is free and near the cruise port.