Diamond drink coupon question

I am cruising on the Independence of the Seas on Monday and it is my first cruise as a Diamond. I understand that I receive 4 drink coupons per day. My question is can you tell the bartender when you want to use them and when you don’t? Or is it the first 4 drinks no matter what? I’m not a big drinker but I was thinking I might want a beer during the day - especially on CocoaCay- and would prefer to pay for that and save my “coupons” for a more expensive cocktail later on. Thanks in advance 😊

You can tell them to not charge your freebies and charge to your Sea Pass card.  We just did this on Adventure in October and Enchantment this March.  No issues whatsoever.  Enjoy your cruise!

We found on Anthem recently that you had to make it very clear that you didn't want to use the voucher as I don't think that request is very common. 

Funnily enough at the pool bar in Coco Cay when we did want to use the vouchers it caused a lot of confusion involving a number of staff on how to record it and in the end they just gave us the drinks 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting this. Our first cruise as Diamond members is in July and we weren't sure how this worked.

8 hours ago, oasisorbust said:

I am cruising on the Independence of the Seas on Monday and it is my first cruise as a Diamond. I understand that I receive 4 drink coupons per day. My question is can you tell the bartender when you want to use them and when you don’t? Or is it the first 4 drinks no matter what? I’m not a big drinker but I was thinking I might want a beer during the day - especially on CocoaCay- and would prefer to pay for that and save my “coupons” for a more expensive cocktail later on. Thanks in advance 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

Funnily enough at the pool bar in Coco Cay when we did want to use the vouchers it caused a lot of confusion involving a number of staff on how to record it and in the end they just gave us the drinks

Never seen staff get confused but on nearly every visit to Coco Cay (4 in the past year), I wind up with one or two never appearing in my account when I check later that night back on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Our last cruise was on RC after many on Celebrity.  We didn't even know we were Diamond + and had the free drinks.  We were so glad that we didn't buy a drink package! It was a great surprise.

Edited by TRadle
  • Like 1

I've had it go the opposite way too. ordered a bottle of water late in the evening, the bartender slid the card through the reader and asked "are you sure you want to use a Diamond voucher for this?"

(That's us at the end of the night, gathering up free bottles of water because we haven't used up our Diamond drink vouchers. I feel bad for the bartenders, if you ask for two bottles of water they have to slide your card twice and do all the button pressing twice.)

Edited by SG65CB

2 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

I've had it go the opposite way too. ordered a bottle of water late in the evening, the bartender slid the card through the reader and asked "are you sure you want to use a Diamond voucher for this?"

I've had this too.  I thank them for asking before I confirm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Never seen staff get confused but on nearly every visit to Coco Cay (4 in the past year), I wind up with one or two never appearing in my account when I check later that night back on the ship.

Often charged on Coco Cay as well.  Never an issue getting it removed.  I check my account daily and ( hopefully) catch errors. 

M

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Often charged on Coco Cay as well.  Never an issue getting it removed.  I check my account daily and ( hopefully) catch errors. 

M

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that I wind up not getting docked a voucher on Coco Cay. If my wife and I have 4 drinks there, we often only see 2-3 listed in our account (for $0.00 as they should be). We're neither charged nor have a voucher used.

2 hours ago, SG65CB said:

(That's us at the end of the night, gathering up free bottles of water because we haven't used up our Diamond drink vouchers. I feel bad for the bartenders, if you ask for two bottles of water they have to slide your card twice and do all the button pressing twice.)

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I've had this too.  I thank them for asking before I confirm.

You do realize that you are not required to use all the vouchers.🙂 ( left over drink vouchers?  Some will be amazed that is even a thing!)

Of course, of you want a few bottles of water, go right ahead. I like to make sure I have a bottle in the cabin as well.  But, I've known some to stockpile water and drag water home. 

M

• Like 1

Just now, OCSC Mike said:

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant that I wind up not getting docked a voucher on Coco Cay. If my wife and I have 4 drinks there, we often only see 2-3 listed in our account (for $0.00 as they should be). We're neither charged nor have a voucher used.

Even better!  

Cheers!

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

You do realize that you are not required to use all the vouchers.🙂 ( left over drink vouchers?  Some will be amazed that is even a thing!)

Of course, of you want a few bottles of water, go right ahead. I like to make sure I have a bottle in the cabin as well.  But, I've known some to stockpile water and drag water home. 

M

We stock up on water/PowerAde the first half of the cruise, which gets us through. As painful as it is to leave a voucher on the table, we do.

• Like 1

I am not Diamond but Emerald and I am supposed to get 50% off 2 wine or beer per cruise and then 10% for all after that.  You tell them to do it and over half the time its never done.  Then down to guest services to get it fixed.  This last cruise they just took off all the drinks in total-so that was great (I think it was a total of 3 for me and DH).  But you would think if it is part of the loyalty program that the system would keep track-it doesn't.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

We stock up on water/PowerAde the first half of the cruise, which gets us through. As painful as it is to leave a voucher on the table, we do.

Someone said you can get fresh squeezed orange juice too .

Im going to try that next time at breakfast .

20 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

I am not Diamond but Emerald and I am supposed to get 50% off 2 wine or beer per cruise and then 10% for all after that.  You tell them to do it and over half the time its never done.  Then down to guest services to get it fixed.  This last cruise they just took off all the drinks in total-so that was great (I think it was a total of 3 for me and DH).  But you would think if it is part of the loyalty program that the system would keep track-it doesn't.

It's a one time discount.  Not for every drink.  If you somehow got them to honor it for all rinks you lucked out.

3 A one-time discount per sailing will be applied toward the purchase of any glass of wine, beer, or soda. Gold, Platinum, and Emerald members receive a 10% discount. Diamond members receive a 20% discount. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members receive a 25% discount.

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It's a one time discount.  Not for every drink.  If you somehow got them to honor it for all rinks you lucked out.

3 A one-time discount per sailing will be applied toward the purchase of any glass of wine, beer, or soda. Gold, Platinum, and Emerald members receive a 10% discount. Diamond members receive a 20% discount. Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members receive a 25% discount.

Yeah its good for 2 wine/beer per cruise but they weren't honoring it for any.  Then its supposed to be 10% off wine/beer for the rest of the cruise.  For some reason their POS system can't keep track and even if you tell them it doesn't always happen as it should.

1 minute ago, bucky0926 said:

Yeah its good for 2 wine/beer per cruise but they weren't honoring it for any.  Then its supposed to be 10% off wine/beer for the rest of the cruise.  For some reason their POS system can't keep track and even if you tell them it doesn't always happen as it should.

It si not supposed to be for  the rest f the cruise.  It is 10% off one time only.  I posted the fine print from the C&A benefits page.  Fine print is item 3

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

On 4/30/2023 at 5:15 PM, bucky0926 said:

So you actually have to ask the bartender to apply the 50% discount and it's not done automatically?  I guess I would have to assume the same for the milkshakes at Johnnie rockets.

• Like 1