The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday April 30th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

Good evening.  After much research, DH found our wonky alternator does not have diodes, but a voltage regulator.  Evidently, from watching a UTube video, it is easy to replace without too much trouble including not having to remove the alternator from from the car.  The saga continues.

Anyway, the grass is mowed and trimmed plus some of the weeds were pulled.  I realized today that I'd need to go over the yard almost inch by inch if I wanted to get rid of all the invasive grass.  No going to be happening.

Hopefully, tomorrow I can start power washing the house.  It needs it after two years.  It will take several days, but I hope to get all but  the port finished before it gets really hot.  

Now, it's time to finish my wine 🍷 and relax.

Lenda

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

It was a very successful morning.  I had moderate rain as I left for church but not enough to be a real problem.  The young boy was only 8 years old but led much of the service, liturgy bible passages, and prayers with dignity and confidence.  The award was presented by the Cubmaster and Committee Chair with a reception afterwards.  Fortunately there was no rain as I returned home, so the morning went very smoothly. 

While the afternoon was not stormy every time I looked outside there was a drizzle, so my entire walk for the day was house to car to church and back.

Roy

And Sunday is a day of rest.

• Like 8

@St Pete CruiserI am glad you are doing better.  Gt lots of rest, take all the antibiotics, build up your strength and maybe, enjoy Hawaii for a few days before heading home.

I printed my boarding pass tonight.  Originally there were three of us in the cabin, and the beds were to be set up as three singles, now it's just the two of us, not sure how to turn the singles into a queen/king.  I went on line, but cant figure anything out.  Just some info, the 7th is the day of the Vancouver Marathon, getting a cab to port may be the absolute headache.  Guess where the race ends?  Right at the port from what I can tell.

I tried to get a 2 hour nap, but i mainly lay on the bed, and held Furnando's paw.  He is the only cat that seems to be missing Irving.  I did get about 30 minutes of sleep.  It wasn't enough.

If you dont have "that special something" ( on Carnival it's called Faster to the fun, or being Platinum) at what time can you enter your stateroom?  We dont board until 1, but I'm thinking with the Marathon, we should attempt to be there before the race ends...And then we can sit outside and watch the world for a couple of hours, and get in line at 1, but I really dont want to board, and sit around with my bags until 3 or something.

I'm tired, I'm babbling.

good-night-romantic-shayari-image.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@St Pete CruiserI am glad you are doing better.  Gt lots of rest, take all the antibiotics, build up your strength and maybe, enjoy Hawaii for a few days before heading home.

I printed my boarding pass tonight.  Originally there were three of us in the cabin, and the beds were to be set up as three singles, now it's just the two of us, not sure how to turn the singles into a queen/king.  I went on line, but cant figure anything out.  Just some info, the 7th is the day of the Vancouver Marathon, getting a cab to port may be the absolute headache.  Guess where the race ends?  Right at the port from what I can tell.

I tried to get a 2 hour nap, but i mainly lay on the bed, and held Furnando's paw.  He is the only cat that seems to be missing Irving.  I did get about 30 minutes of sleep.  It wasn't enough.

If you dont have "that special something" ( on Carnival it's called Faster to the fun, or being Platinum) at what time can you enter your stateroom?  We dont board until 1, but I'm thinking with the Marathon, we should attempt to be there before the race ends...And then we can sit outside and watch the world for a couple of hours, and get in line at 1, but I really dont want to board, and sit around with my bags until 3 or something.

I'm tired, I'm babbling.

good-night-romantic-shayari-image.jpg

Annie, HAL tries to have all the cabins ready by 11 am.  With a 1 pm boarding time, you should be able to go straight to your cabin.  When you get to the port, just check all your bags except your carryon ones, and they will be delivered to your cabin.  Try to get BFF to call HAL and request your twin beds be changed to a queen.  It that doesn't work, just ask your cabin steward to move the twins together.

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I almost forgot to say good morning back, and hope you're having a super cruise!

Sandi, unfortunately I won’t be on a cruise until Dec. I think you meant to wish @TiogaCruiser happy cruising. We both have a Doberman in our avatars. 😉

Oh, and I think somebody here is calling me Laura. My name is Marcia (think Brady Bunch 😃). 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good Sunday from Hilo, Hawaii hospital.  I just read through the daily for the first time in several weeks.  Seems there have been more pressing issues on my agenda. Thanks to the posters and those extra special contributors for their prayers and concern.

Hard to believe a little a little spider could turn what was a an adventure of a lifetime into a life threatening medical disaster.

Our 2nd port after leaving Sydney,  Australia, was a very natural, small community where the good ship Noordam tendered into Easo. Shore excursions were limited as there was so little infrastructure. We, along with other more adventurous guests, walked a dirt path up to an old church on a cliff overlooking the bay where the Noordam was. The steps were wet and slippery and I cautioned those with us to be extra careful! As we neared the top, the lady behind me said "stop. There is a spider on your shirt. Do you want me to brush it off? PLEASE, I said. She did so and when I asked where it went, she didn't know.  Well, like an agitated bee or wasp, it foundmy bare right calf and bit me.  The initial bite was not too painful and on return to the tender platform, we applied hand sanitizer to it and the cold towel awaiting guests which eased it.  Returning to the room,  I showered and applied triple antibiotic gel I had brought from home. Problem solved, I thought. The bite site blistered and seemed to be healing. Then the red area around it grew and I knew that was bad.

It wasn't easy to get into the medical center, but when I did they cleaned it and prescribed antibiotics.  That night I couldn't sleep as my leg had painful spasms. Returning to the medical center  the next day, they put me in the infirmary and IV antibiotics with pain med. I stayed there for 5 days as we had just left Pago Pago, American Samoa, and had 5 days at sea to Hilo. My blood work showed I was indeed very ill. Dr said there was no place to defer to and thus they would do their best to keep me alive until I could be medically disembarked in Hilo. I have remained here now for a week still on IV antibiotics.  Hopefully, I will be able to fly home later this week.

Those of you who follow my posts, know I am very much a "Holland America cruiser". The company has teetered on the brink of bankruptcy.  Regardless, of the cut backs and other changes, I want to acknowledge here on Cruise Critic that the Doctors and staff of the Noordam saved my life. 

Wow I'm sorry to hear your story and well done to the medical staff on Noordam for saving your life.

Even though we have never met I am pleased that you got excellent treatment.

People wonder how good the medical staff are and our story was Pauline's late dad.

We were on NCL Gem maiden voyage in October 2007 and her dad's prostate cancer which had been in remission for 10 years came back and caused a total blockage and the South African doctor saved his life by  fitting a catheter and after a medical told Pauline to get her dad to hospital when we got home.

We got radiotherapy for him at a major hospital at home and he had 9 months of good life before he died.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Sandi, unfortunately I won’t be on a cruise until Dec. I think you meant to wish @TiogaCruiser happy cruising. We both have a Doberman in our avatars. 😉

Oh, and I think somebody here is calling me Laura. My name is Marcia (think Brady Bunch 😃). 

The Daily family has gotten large enough that we need a scorecard.  Calling people by the wrong names is normal in a large family.   My dad used to go down the list of names until he hit the right one.  My sister did get a bit miffed the time he called her the dog's name.

@St Pete Cruiser You have certainly been through the wringer.  I am glad to hear that  you are safely recuperating in the hospital and that the HAL medical did such a stellar job taking care of you.  I hope you continue on your road to recovery and that it is complete.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Good Sunday from Hilo, Hawaii hospital.  I just read through the daily for the first time in several weeks.  Seems there have been more pressing issues on my agenda. Thanks to the posters and those extra special contributors for their prayers and concern.

Hard to believe a little a little spider could turn what was a an adventure of a lifetime into a life threatening medical disaster.

Our 2nd port after leaving Sydney,  Australia, was a very natural, small community where the good ship Noordam tendered into Easo. Shore excursions were limited as there was so little infrastructure. We, along with other more adventurous guests, walked a dirt path up to an old church on a cliff overlooking the bay where the Noordam was. The steps were wet and slippery and I cautioned those with us to be extra careful! As we neared the top, the lady behind me said "stop. There is a spider on your shirt. Do you want me to brush it off? PLEASE, I said. She did so and when I asked where it went, she didn't know.  Well, like an agitated bee or wasp, it foundmy bare right calf and bit me.  The initial bite was not too painful and on return to the tender platform, we applied hand sanitizer to it and the cold towel awaiting guests which eased it.  Returning to the room,  I showered and applied triple antibiotic gel I had brought from home. Problem solved, I thought. The bite site blistered and seemed to be healing. Then the red area around it grew and I knew that was bad.

It wasn't easy to get into the medical center, but when I did they cleaned it and prescribed antibiotics.  That night I couldn't sleep as my leg had painful spasms. Returning to the medical center  the next day, they put me in the infirmary and IV antibiotics with pain med. I stayed there for 5 days as we had just left Pago Pago, American Samoa, and had 5 days at sea to Hilo. My blood work showed I was indeed very ill. Dr said there was no place to defer to and thus they would do their best to keep me alive until I could be medically disembarked in Hilo. I have remained here now for a week still on IV antibiotics.  Hopefully, I will be able to fly home later this week.

Those of you who follow my posts, know I am very much a "Holland America cruiser". The company has teetered on the brink of bankruptcy.  Regardless, of the cut backs and other changes, I want to acknowledge here on Cruise Critic that the Doctors and staff of the Noordam saved my life. 

I am so sorry to hear of what happened to you.  You are in my prayers for your continued recovery.  God bless the medical personnel both at sea and now on land whose dedication kept you alive.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to return home soon.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dobiemom said:

Marcia, you're right!  I did confuse you with @TiogaCruiser.  Hope she's haveing a good cruise, and I hope you are able to get some sleep lately.  No wonder you were up early yesterday!  How long do you have to keep your head down?     

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm running late, another night of lying awake.  This time it was 1 1/2 hours, not 3 hrs. like last time, but still made it a later than usual start to my day.  And after looking at the weather forecast, I'm still changing what clothes I'm bringing....sigh.  You'd think a little 5-day cruise would be easier, but since we're both just bringing a carry-on, it's a little harder.  Even though it's just a 5-day, we'll have a dressy night and an Orange Party too.  

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm SO sorry about your fall!  Rest up and heal.  So glad it was "only" bruises, but that can be very painful.

I'll try to check in, hopefully send some photos.  All will depend on the internet. 

Have a great day everyone!

I used to lay awake for long periods of time.  Now I take 1 Benadryl before bedtime and spend more time sleeping.  I just need to spend more hours in the bed because I get up super early.  When I retire from the Daily publisher let's just see if I wake up early out of habit.😵

• Like 5

18 hours ago, 57redbird said:

I so want to do this cruise!   What is the name of it, please & how long?

Sorry just catching up on yesterday's posts.  I did a quick search for Eidfjord on Holland America with 37 results, all kinds of dates and cruise lenth.  Hope this link works for you.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise.html#{!tag=destinationTag}destinationIds=E&{!tag=departTag}departDate=&{!tag=durationTag}duration=&{!tag=embarkTag}embarkPortCode=&start=0&{!tag=portsTag}portsOfCall=EI1&soldOut=false

• Like 4

17 hours ago, cruising sister said:

That is the longest mobile home/trailer combo I have seen. Their mpg’s will be in the negatives. I hope they have a great time. 

Lorraine, DH says Paul gets about 5 mpg unless of course there are many hills or high headwinds (like we had yesterday when they left).  Using diesel fuel which is higher priced I think they budgeted $10,000 for 10,000 miles.  Hope those diesel prices aren't on their way up.  Or any other fuel prices, too.  Paul thought ahead to get a Sam's Club credit card that gives 5% cash back on fuel charges.  Every little bit helps!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning again.  We're back from W-M where they said the battery was good, and just needed charging according to their test equipment.  It's now being charged, but DH is beginning to think the alternator is causing the problems.  It is working, but not as well as it should.  Either a diode is bad, or we need a new alternator.  In the past, he would have changed or repaired the alternator, but now it's still a little too much for him to tackle.  I could help, but it would still be too difficult.  However, it's the original alternator in a 28 year old car.  Then, there is the possibility that both the battery and the alternator have problems.  Oh, the joys of an older car.  😁

Gerry, it must be very hard on your young friends being so far away from their families.  I hope all their relatives continue to stay safe.  I'm glad you are beginning to see signs of spring.

341870962_175819288281395_6811624215865362119_n.jpg.5a00ac6dc0f1dad20edb8663cf22739b.jpg

That's too bad about the limo.  It would have been a great way to begin the cruise.  That kitty does not deserve treats this morning.

Thank you, Graham.

Carol, that is good news all around.  I'm glad Sam is better.  Safe travels to your DGS and his girlfriend.

Carolyn, just remember, it's likely you'll never see those people on the cruise again.  So pack what is comfortable and don't worry.  Have a safe trip today and tomorrow, and a great cruise.

That is a long combination for a motorhome and tow trailer.  Usually the legal length limit in most states is 65 feet.  The motorhome looks like it's in great condition.  Blue Bird ended production in 2003 when they sold the motorhome production and rights to the Wanderlodge name to Complete Coach Works.  That company ended the production in 2009.

I think I'll do something constructive this afternoon while enjoying our good weather.  It will weeding, mowing and trimming the grass this afternoon, before it gets much hotter.

341887336_1431628030958089_4766418038387801572_n.jpg.3e5c7c0dbd6ce6d5d002e0683869e27b.jpg

342965633_6237630116304370_2453600716611818908_n.thumb.jpg.1b025a42aef74f7021610ddac6523c39.jpg

342602270_607706067695986_6081197665487591080_n.jpg.a84cd42d34bf16abbb082525c32f0092.jpg

Lenda

Lenda, love the memes!  Yes, I bet there are 65' limits to length in some states.  From what I read they don't enforce those rules often.  Paul's a talker - I bet he could talk himself out of a citation.  Former farmer/business owner/preacher.  Quite a combination of life experiences.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Add me to the cancelled cruise club 😢 but at least it's not because of a medical issue. Just received the quote on a new roof, gutters and a paint job-$25,300. It was our Sept. Alaska cruise so will be easily replaced in a year or so.  Happy May everyone-and my sister turns 92 tomorrow.

Happy birthday to your sister today!  92 is an impressive age!  It's disappointing about the cruise cancellation but sometimes life gets in the way.  Amazing how expensive roofs, paint jobs and gutters can be, isn't it?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1