Manhattan terminal at night

Pink15

I am overnight in NY and am looking at shows, would it be safe to walk from times square area to Manhattan terminal at night as a single woman? I know there is a bus route but cannot work out where the pedestrian entrance is.

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Pink15 said:

I am overnight in NY and am looking at shows, would it be safe to walk from times square area to Manhattan terminal at night as a single woman? I know there is a bus route but cannot work out where the pedestrian entrance is.

Thanks 

I doubt you'd feel comfortable doing that walk alone at night. I wouldn't recommend it. 

Try Uber.

• Like 1

Thanks both, I thought that would be the case!

Would it be difficult to get a cab from times square? Surely there is a lot of people who want cabs at the same time? Might have to do a matinee instead 😁

23 minutes ago, Pink15 said:

Would it be difficult to get a cab from times square? Surely there is a lot of people who want cabs at the same time? Might have to do a matinee instead 😁

The yellow cabs need business they’ll probably be roaming. You can walk to the nearest Ave for better luck or just call Uber or Lyft. Never a problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pink15 said:

While it's a little off the beaten path, and I agree that you should take a cab or Uber, it isn't necessarily unsafe. Its a quasi residential area with parks, residential buildings, bars, and restaurants. The chances of something not great happening to you is low. I used to live on the other side of Times Square and would frequently walk to the cruise terminal for weekend cruises they used to do. 

That being said you will have zero issue getting a cab or Uber from Times Square at any time of day or night-- I would not base whether you see a matinee or later show on transportation. It is readily available there and a pretty inexpensive ride over to the passenger ship terminal. 

6 hours ago, Pink15 said:

I am overnight in NY and am looking at shows, would it be safe to walk from times square area to Manhattan terminal at night as a single woman?

Is your concern actually safety, or is it really a security concern? Two different things. But neither is a substantial concern in the area between Times Square and the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. As to minimizing any concerns over security, walk along the busiest streets with the greatest amount of vehicular and pedestrian traffic. This could be walking crosstown on 42nd Street, then uptown on Twelfth Avenue. As to minimizing any concerns over safety, avoid wearing dark clothing, watch where you step, and look out for traffic, especially turning vehicles.

Cost of taxi would be pretty cheap loads of great restaurants and entertainment less than one mile away from pier , agree don’t walk get Uber and Lyft app just in case but normally lots of taxis . 

• Like 2

Sounds like you're looking to go back to the terminal after seeing a show?  If so, avoid the pedicabs that are always parked just outside when the theaters let out.  Ridiculously expensive.  I would suggest you walk a block or so away from the theater and order an Uber.  Otherwise, you'll be hard to spot amongst the large theater crowd when your car arrives.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, RickinNYC said:

Sounds like you're looking to go back to the terminal after seeing a show?  If so, avoid the pedicabs that are always parked just outside when the theaters let out.  Ridiculously expensive.  I would suggest you walk a block or so away from the theater and order an Uber.  Otherwise, you'll be hard to spot amongst the large theater crowd when your car arrives.

Why would anyone go to the cruise port after an evening show ? If they are going to a matinee it is perfectly safe to walk to the cruise terminal.

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Why would anyone go to the cruise port after an evening show ? If they are going to a matinee it is perfectly safe to walk to the cruise terminal.

Their ship is in port overnight. That's why.

57 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Maybe if a particular ship is laying overnight at Port.

We are in port overnight.

Thanks for all the replies and tips,  I have downloaded the uber app and now feel confident enough that I will get a taxi of some sort. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Because if the ship is in port overnight and you not there on a Saturday or Sunday, the only shows available are at night. I was actually looking for the same information. Matinee's are only on the weekends and I would not want to walk back to the ship alone at night. Actually, I will be there in November and it will probably be dark even when going to the theater as well.

53 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Because if the ship is in port overnight and you not there on a Saturday or Sunday, the only shows available are at night. I was actually looking for the same information. Matinee's are only on the weekends and I would not want to walk back to the ship alone at night. Actually, I will be there in November and it will probably be dark even when going to the theater as well.

Most Broadway shows also have Wednesday matinees.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Most Broadway shows also have Wednesday matinees.

My cruise arrives in NYC on a Friday and we are there overnight and disembark the next day. So Wednesday is out for me........thanks though🙂

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

The only overnights I have been on have been in Quebec City and Bermuda.

22 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

Not true. Matinees are also usually on Wednesdays.

Thanks......someone else told me that too.  So now I know. But it doesn't help me since I won't be in the city on a Wednesday.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Aha,I never heard of an overnight in Manhattan.

It is not very common for cruise itineraries marketed to those persons residing in North America. However, for vessels coming from across the pond, and largely carrying Europeans and treating New York as an intermediate port of call, they may stay in New York for multiple days because New York City is such a big attraction for them. It is fair to say that New York offers more than almost any other destination, and that a one day visit is an inadequate port of call. Most itineraries marketed to North America residents use New York as an embarkation and/or disembarkation port, and persons from outside New York can easily adjust their travel plans to spend as much time in New York, before and/or after their cruise, to see what they would like to see.