I booked an MSC cruise even after being refused by my TA. Beautiful ship but many cons.

rsail203

When I told my Travel Agent I was considering a cruise on MSC, she absolutely refused to have anything to do with it. Not even for a commission, was she willing to do any business with MSC. She kiddingly said if I booked MSC, she would fly from Florida to New York and slap my face. So my previous reading on cruise critic about MSC and TA's was obviously true. But, I watched videos online about the Meraviglia, and it's a beautiful ship and reviews were mixed and I needed a week away so I booked it and obviously will not turn it over to my TA.

The problems that I've seen about MSC rules are pretty ridiculous:

1. Not allowing you to switch devices on wifi.

2. Not allowing you to use your drink package in specialty restaurants.

3. Smaller portions in the dining room.

4. User unfriendly website and app.

5. Muster drill in room and then telephone call and everyone jamming stairs to check their card at muster station.

6. Copied from a cruise critic entry:"Their pre-cruise booking process, e-mail communication, and online/phone support is a glorified turd in most instances.  

7.  Charging extra for two shows.

8.  Not allowing drinks in the theater.

• Like 2

Have been on 10 MSC cruises, various ships out of Florida - 

1. We only use one device so cannot comment.

2. Easy does not work in Specialty Restaurants but Easy Plus and higher do. If you have Easy just pick up beverages at a bar prior to dining experience. 
3. Portions in dining room are more than adequate but if you need more food order more than one entree. 
4. We have never had problems with App on board ship. 
5. Muster works fine, you do not need to jam up at stairways, wait til crowd clears.

6. I have always booked on line with no problems. Just this week though I booked through an MSC Agent as I wanted two specific cabins and she was excellent. 
7. Main theatre - no charge, Back of ships is a theatre that does have a charge - if choosing to go to those shows book ahead, save $.

8. Taking beverages into theatre, we have found depends on ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Have been on 10 MSC cruises, various ships out of Florida - 

1. We only use one device so cannot comment.

2. Easy does not work in Specialty Restaurants but Easy Plus and higher do. If you have Easy just pick up beverages at a bar prior to dining experience. 
3. Portions in dining room are more than adequate but if you need more food order more than one entree. 
4. We have never had problems with App on board ship. 
5. Muster works fine, you do not need to jam up at stairways, wait til crowd clears.

6. I have always booked on line with no problems. Just this week though I booked through an MSC Agent as I wanted two specific cabins and she was excellent. 
7. Main theatre - no charge, Back of ships is a theatre that does have a charge - if choosing to go to those shows book ahead, save $.

8. Taking beverages into theatre, we have found depends on ship. 

In regards to 2, we have the easy drink package, but want to upgrade to easy plus or higher once we board like we have done in the past with other cruise lines.  Do you know if thats possible?  On on other lines, we would go to the guest services desk and pay whatever the difference is for the higher level packages. 

thx

1 minute ago, 20165 said:

In regards to 2, we have the easy drink package, but want to upgrade to easy plus or higher once we board like we have done in the past with other cruise lines.  Do you know if thats possible?  On on other lines, we would go to the guest services desk and pay whatever the difference is for the higher level packages. 

thx

I believe it is possible but not sure how you do it, there will be guys walking around to “sell” beverage packages, hopefully they can help you. 

I booked my 2nd MSC cruise for July, on Fantasia to Norway. I have some advantages over most cruisers, in that I don't drink alcohol. And quite frankly, the #1 complaint I read on these forums is about alcohol: The cost. The availability. The quality.  (Hey, just try going without it for even 1 cruise, and save all that money! You don't need it to have fun, fit in, or socialize).

Also, I'm not real big into specialty dining - although I'll take good Italian when I can. So only having Butcher's Cut or Sushi as specialty options isn't a big deal to me. 

Finally, I can't afford - nor likely would even care for - all the extra pampering, room cleaning, salutations in Yacht Club. I just don't need to pay so much extra to feel that special.

(We first tried MSC on Divina to Central America. It was great, and well worth the money I paid).

The reason why I chose MSC for Norway (and the Baltics - 14-day, B2B) is that they can get me around there for about $500-600 less per person that NCL, HAL, etc.  And since I go to Norway for the views and photo potential, paying extra for that makes no sense. 

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, rsail203 said:

When I told my Travel Agent I was considering a cruise on MSC, she absolutely refused to have anything to do with it. Not even for a commission, was she willing to do any business with MSC. She kiddingly said if I booked MSC, she would fly from Florida to New York and slap my face. So my previous reading on cruise critic about MSC and TA's was obviously true. But, I watched videos online about the Meraviglia, and it's a beautiful ship and reviews were mixed and I needed a week away so I booked it and obviously will not turn it over to my TA.

5. Muster drill in room and then telephone call and everyone jamming stairs to check their card at muster station.

6. Copied from a cruise critic entry:"Their pre-cruise booking process, e-mail communication, and online/phone support is a glorified turd in most instances.  

1. Use one device or buy a multi-device package for one person and then log the multiple devices under one persons name, rather than buying several single Wi-Fi packages. 

2. Take your drinks in with you.

3. There is unlimited food, 4/5/6 courses if you want to add extra courses in. People don’t starve on a cruise. 

4. No problems with the app/website. 

5. Muster is great! No crush on the stairs or lifts, no standing around for half an hour squashed in a small area with a bunch of strangers. It’s so much better than the old style drills. 

6. Pre-cruise stuff was no worse than any other pre-cruise prep with any other line. It’s sometimes great, sometimes a faff, but really it’s not that much of a problem. 

7. Lots of lines charge extra for shows: every line I have been on has had upgraded options. The reviews of the upgrade shows are very good. We never bother as the included entertainment is adequate for our needs. 

8. The theatre is a 40 minutes show isn’t it? Thankfully we can manage 40 minutes without a drink. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rsail203 said:

My tip:  Eat like an Italian with a 4 course meal (starter, pasta, main, dessert).

On my first MSC cruise in 2016 (MSC Divina, out of Miami) the menus were presented the Italian way with 4 courses, but they went to presenting the menu with just 3 courses soon afterwards I assume to avoid confusing people who are not from Italy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rsail203 said:

Most of these are inconveniences...nothing to ruin a cruise.

Get a drink b4 walking into dinner. I took mine into the theatre w/o an issue.

Muster was BRILLIANT--shut EVERYTHING down until EVERYONE does it. 

If you go down right away there aren't any lines...go figure.

I have called MSC 4 times & each time everything was resolved, generally quite promptly.

My issue on Divina in Feb was the same as friends who just sailed Seascape.

I have never met more clueless passengers on a cruise. (25+ under my belt on most mainstream lines). Clueless to the point of being rude, if unwittingly. Just no concept of courtesy.

Lines meant nothing--many people just went where & when they wanted.

Loungers drug ANYWHERE--meaning anyone walking along the decks had to zig zag around loungers. All decks, by the pools & everywhere there were loungers.

Walking down stairs as a couple...but 1 not moving  aside as others wanted to go up. 

Same situation with pics on stairs. Not the professionals, just passengers.

Ignoring rules even when repeated over & over.

There are rude passengers on every ship. 

But the lack of common courtesy of passengers was stunning. 

Sailing them in Europe next week so I will see if the pattern continues.

My friend also mentioned an issue I had--stocking issues.

Not a supply issue; it was 2 days into a cruise before my wine choice was stocked in the wine bar.

When the bartender told the Bar Manager at 5PM the 2nd night that he had yet to be stocked up, the manager said it would be done by 9AM tomorrow. 

HUH? NOPE. Buck stops with you buddy--go stock NOW.

The next night I walked up to the bar, and the bartender went down & got it himself!!!

Now, I loved the pizza, fresh buffet offerings, music choices around the ship. 

Activities staff were fun & had fun offerings.

Their private island is the nicest I've been to!

The price was incredible.

Overall crew was good, as on all our other cruises.

Edited by KKB

I routinely book MSC for clients, yes they are a bit different for the back office and sometimes a problem occurs. I feel sorry for your TA if they won't help you with the cruise of YOUR choice. I just don't understand that the of customer service-they are working for you! 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, rsail203 said:

7.  Charging extra for two shows.8.  Not allowing drinks in the theater.

None of the above are 'dealbreakers' with us. #1- Not a problem. Cost was reasonable to upgrade to streaming ($48) for 5 days. Though the wifi not as good as Starlink on Celebrity Beyond. Had trouble uploading anything over one minute when out to sea. #2 Seldom avail ourselves of specialty dining even when complimentary Diamond. #3 Prefer smaller portions so we are not guilty ordering multiple entrees and desserts. #4 Not had a problem book every other month. #5 LOVE the E-muster drill. #6  Make it a habit to never regard any postings from posters using four letter words. #5 We wish all the ships charged for shows, then they wouldn't be so crowded and might inhibit  guests coming in and out during the entire performance. #8 Seen many spill their drinks getting past those already seated and most leave their empty drinks on the floor.

All pluses in our minds.

Find another travel agent. We get another 5% OBC from her. Many report their TA give up to 10% OBC.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

I can understand why some travel agents wouldn't want to book MSC.  MSC's fares tend to be lower and they are difficult to work with because of their systems limitations.  The commission's the same or higher by booking other lines and there's less chance of falling down an MSC refund or customer service rabbit hole which can be time consuming and exhausting.  

Many of MSC's challenges are based on technology limitations.  They don't have an online cruise personalizer in the truest sense which limits what you can do on a self-serve basis and forces calls to their call center.  You have a 50/50 chance of getting a competent agent or even the same answer each time a question is asked. 

Something as basic as MDR reservations are black box and usually what's confirmed in advance is modified onboard based on passenger levels. You won't know your true dining assignment or if you're seated with your traveling party until you get your keycard.  As an example, I'm sailing on Europa 5/12 and specialty dining hasn't been available since last year when I booked the cruise. I'm sure calling MSC would get me multiple differing explanations and send me down a rabbit hole.  I'll just deal with it onboard knowing calling would just result in frustration.

There have been horror stories shared here regarding modifications, cancellations, and especially refunds.  No one can say that those areas aren't a huge problem for MSC.  But here's the deal.  90% of people end up doing exactly what they reserved so those areas don't impact them.

It comes down to this.  There's been enough discussion here so that people researching MSC know there are quirks and limitations both in booking and sailing with them.  Many of us repeat with them anyway.  If someone's OCD and wants to see their cruise in detail online and granularly manage optional features and choose specific MDR and specialty dining times then MSC isn't the cruise line for them.  The lack of those things doesn't make the overall MSC experience bad, it's just different than most major cruise lines. Just hope you never need a change, cancellation, or refund. 😉 

• Like 1

We only deal with our MSC cruise concierge to book our cruises. We have never had to call their center ever. I just send an email or text him and within a few minutes, he calls me. We have 8 YC booked and there have been some special circumstances that he was able to help us with.  

We don’t need OBC as our main reason to using him but it is the ability to assist with any issues or changes. We only book YC and have 5 this year and 3 next year cc

30 minutes ago, B_A_H said:

They don't have an online cruise personalizer in the truest sense which limits what you can do

Too bad we cannot recommend him. 

• Like 1

I can just hot-spot my phone if I need multiple devices as I have done on other lines.

I had Easy Plus on the sailings I just returned from and was able to use my drink package or pay an upcharge, if the drink was more than my package covered.

I actually REALLY love this fact. As others have said, you can always order more. I prefer not wasting food, since I usually don't eat much in one sitting.

App was great for me onboard. The website is indeed hot garbage, which can be frustrating for sure.

This is definitely still way better than the old fashioned muster drill, but I agree that other lines do the post-COVID muster better. Certainly nothing to deter me from sailing MSC, though. It's over in an hour and then you can just enjoy the whole rest of your cruise.

I concur with all of this and try to factor it in when booking as best I can.  

7.  Charging extra for two shows.

Other lines do this as well. $12 per person when pre-booking and only $5 if you have a specialty dining package, so it's certainly not going to break me when I am already paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for a cruise. Also, I saw Rock Circus and it was definitely worth the upcharge!

This one is definitely an issue for me. I saw only one main theater show when onboard for 18 days primarily because of this rule.

• Like 1

Everybody, thank you for your answers. You've certainly eased my mind.

Other lines do this as well. $12 per person when pre-booking and only $5 if you have a specialty dining package, so it's certainly not going to break me when I am already paying hundreds/thousands of dollars for a cruise. Also, I saw Rock Circus and it was definitely worth the upcharge!

How and when do you pre-book for shows.

I can just hot-spot my phone if I need multiple devices as I have done on other lines.

I'm not tech savvy. How do you hot-spot your phone.

6 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

Everybody, thank you for your answers. You've certainly eased my mind.

How and when do you pre-book for shows.

I'm not tech savvy. How do you hot-spot your phone.

I was able to pre-buy the Carousel Lounge show online in the "Specialty Dining" area of the website for my booking. I wasn't able to pick a day/time for the show until I was onboard and I had to go to the specialty dining reservation desk (inside the Ocean Cay restaurant) to do that on embarkation day.

Hot-spotting is not possible on all phones. I specifically have a Google Pixel 5, so I know it is possible on my phone and some other android phones. It is not possible on an iPhone.

8 hours ago, 20165 said:

thx

you should be able to upgrade online or the app before you go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

None of the above are 'dealbreakers' with us. #1- Not a problem. Cost was reasonable to upgrade to streaming ($48) for 5 days. Though the wifi not as good as Starlink on Celebrity Beyond. Had trouble uploading anything over one minute when out to sea. #2 Seldom avail ourselves of specialty dining even when complimentary Diamond. #3 Prefer smaller portions so we are not guilty ordering multiple entrees and desserts. #4 Not had a problem book every other month. #5 LOVE the E-muster drill. #6  Make it a habit to never regard any postings from posters using four letter words. #5 We wish all the ships charged for shows, then they wouldn't be so crowded and might inhibit  guests coming in and out during the entire performance. #8 Seen many spill their drinks getting past those already seated and most leave their empty drinks on the floor.

All pluses in our minds.

Find another travel agent. We get another 5% OBC from her. Many report their TA give up to 10% OBC.

I get a TA not wanting to deal with MSC. Their customer service is so bad, taht by the time you are done, and give your client obc (which is comes from their commission), you can wind up working for free.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joiseymom said:

As has been mentioned about their IT, I have the easy plus and wanted to upgrade to the next package.

Neither the website or the app even acknowledge that I even have a drink package and say I can buy the easy plus for $427. Smh

17 hours ago, rsail203 said:

When I told my Travel Agent I was considering a cruise on MSC, she absolutely refused to have anything to do with it. Not even for a commission, was she willing to do any business with MSC. She kiddingly said if I booked MSC, she would fly from Florida to New York and slap my face. So my previous reading on cruise critic about MSC and TA's was obviously true. But, I watched videos online about the Meraviglia, and it's a beautiful ship and reviews were mixed and I needed a week away so I booked it and obviously will not turn it over to my TA. - Poor girl!... I understand her business point of view, but on site MSC has a very nice European style cruise service!...

1. Not allowing you to switch devices on wifi. - True. But there are packages for 2 or more devices.

2. Not allowing you to use your drink package in specialty restaurants. - Only the baseline cheaper version of the packages have that rule now.

3. Smaller portions in the dining room. - Portions are smaller than US centered lines, but adequate for a 3 courses meal. They give you more if you so need. In general the MDR's do have a slightly more refined environment than the mainstream US lines.

4. User unfriendly website and app. - Sadly true.

5. Muster drill in room and then telephone call and everyone jamming stairs to check their card at muster station. - Rules are changing by the day. I've heard they're going the old before Covid era practices in some ships. May depend on your ship / region / sailing date.

6. Copied from a cruise critic entry:"Their pre-cruise booking process, e-mail communication, and online/phone support is a glorified turd in most instances.   - Don't let those trolls to change your cruise experience from being great! Yeah, their IT and land services do have their challenges, but the onsite service is very nice!...

7.  Charging extra for two shows. - True only for the Meraviglia class ships. But there will be a cocktail given up to you to enjoy with the show!...

8.  Not allowing drinks in the theater. - That's a cultural barrier sort of thing. Here in Europe it isn't supposed to eat or drink on theaters!... I believe they have this sorted out on US sailings right now, but they won't have random waiters serving drinks inside theaters.

Hope to have helped a bit with my answers in blue. Have a wonderful day!...

8 hours ago, Joiseymom said:

Tried,  but it wants to charges us full price for the premium package, even though it says in the app that we already have easy plus.  However, not a big deal, didnt work on the celebrity app either but we were able to upgrade when we boarded so as long as we are able to do that, we are good to go.  

thanks

18 hours ago, rsail203 said:

Thank you for posting this.  I was wondering if I was the only one who has read negative reviews online.

However, I also agree with @morpheusofthesea, @KKB, and others, that these are inconveniences, nothing that would make not take a cruise.

I am looking forward to my first cruise with MSC later this month. 🙂 

• Thanks 1