Time to Say Goodbye

Suzieanna

Is being played on Classic FM at the moment, and its made me think.    Do they not play this for sailway on Virtuosa?.   I have been on her 4 times last year and cant remember it being played, yet every other ship it was being played?

Was I perhaps not concentrating?

20 minutes ago, Suzieanna said:

Is being played on Classic FM at the moment, and its made me think.    Do they not play this for sailway on Virtuosa?.   I have been on her 4 times last year and cant remember it being played, yet every other ship it was being played?

It’s not played out of Port Canaveral at all. It must be a licensing thing. 😀. Up in Yacht Club we play it on our smart devices.  😀. All the regular Yacht Clubbers and the staff smile.  If Hubert is bartending at the One Pool bar he will sing it. He’s quite good.  I think he may be on Divina out of Miami now.

• Like 1

Love this! We enjoyed Seaview in the Med when they played it, but noticed it missing on Divina in the Caribbean, so we played it ourselves when enjoying an amazing sunset. Great memories!

• Like 1

Well now I have a song stuck in my brain all day! (not complaining)

We've never gone to a sailaway on a cruise, but I recollect hearing this at one of the evening theater shows, by one of the fantastic male singers.  Wonderful!

24 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Definitely a Med/Europe departure song - no Offense, but most North Americans would be totally oblivious to this song. 

Unless they are Andrea Bocelli fans 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, phissy said:

Unless they are Andrea Bocelli fans 😉

Again - most North Americans. The number of North Americans that know who Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman are - would be - in my opinion - minuscule.

4 hours ago, RD64 said:

" . . . would be - in my opinion - minuscule."

Oh, come on. Everyone of a certain age fondly recalls her gold record, space-disco debut, "I Lost My Heart to a Starship Trooper."

That was one whole husband before Andrew Lloyd.

Starship-Trooper.gif.d93c976c2bdc7a72a0091bfd73520e3f.gif

🎵I lost my heart to a starship trooper
Flashing lights in hyper space
Fighting for the Federation
Hand in hand we'll conquer space🎵

Oh! Sorry, I didn't realize I was audible.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Suzieanna said:

Last year on Virtuosa I think it was played at the farewell show when they have all the crew on stage. Going again on Friday so will listen out for it.

2 minutes ago, Suzieanna said:

RD64, you say that but the first time I ever heard it was actually in Las Vegas.   They were playing it at Bellagio Fountains.  It was our last night there.   I admit I cried.

EXACTLY!  Me too,

12 hours ago, RD64 said:

Again - most North Americans. The number of North Americans that know who Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman are - would be - in my opinion - minuscule.

Just like the US Vice President I like Venn Diagrams. 😀. Let’s explore a Venn Diagram of this thread. The first circle is the population of North Americans; the next circle is the number of North Americans who take cruise vacations; the next circle is the number of cruisers who routinely sail MSC Cruises; the next circle is the number of MSC cruisers who read Cruise Critic. That is the population that is interested in this thread. I would propose that this intersection would actually be aware of ‘Time to Say Good-bye’ and the song does elicit fond memories of past cruises.

Not a frequent cruiser, but I have very vivid memories of being on the Grand Princess in 1999, and they played Time to Say Goodbye when we departed from Venice. I'd imagine the song would be a popular choice for most cruise lines as the music is pretty mainstream and is topical. As an American, all I have to say is

25 minutes ago, mica178 said:

Not a frequent cruiser, but I have very vivid memories of being on the Grand Princess in 1999, and they played Time to Say Goodbye when we departed from Venice. I'd imagine the song would be a popular choice for most cruise lines as the music is pretty mainstream and is topical. As an American, all I have to say is

That came to mind for me also.  Funny movie…at times a little raunchy though, 😀

20 hours ago, RD64 said:

Definitely a Med/Europe departure song - no Offense, but most North Americans would be totally oblivious to this song. 

You think so? I would think that it is a pretty well known song, especially among the demographic MSC attracts. 

4 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

You think so? I would think that it is a pretty well known song, especially among the demographic MSC attracts. 

Among the MSC demographic that travels to Europe - certainly. To the 3/4 day party hard cruiser who does not have a passport - because why would I have a passport - because I would never , ever consider leaving the USA - a hard no.

I think a lot of people know who they are, as Sarah Brigtman is about to do a North American tour and Bocelli is currently on one. I only clicked on this post because I recognized this as the title to that song. 

In case you can't tell, HUGE Brightman fan here.

• Thanks 1