Can we make a 10:15 a.m. plane after Boston disembarkation?

Tampa Girl

If it helps, we are 5* Mariners so can disembark around 8:00, but what are the chanced that our luggage will be awaiting us at that hour?

We don't want to self disembark earlier.  We will be coming off the VOV and the prior port is Canada.  Does that make any difference with regards to any delay by Immigration or Customs?  We will probably be flying Jet Blue.    

If there is a later flight that would be better.  First challenge is getting a ride to the airport.  Last summer the wait for a cab was long and slow, we used a service to pick us up.  We fly Jet Blue when going to FLL and security lines are hit and miss and at times can take an hour, other times I’ve gone through in under 20 minutes.

You'll need to clear US immigration/customs and presumably you need to be at the airport an hour prior (at least) and I believe it takes 30 min the airport... I think the answer is obvious 

If you are questioning it then you already have your doubts. Unless you are a risk taker, why ask a bunch of total strangers for their opinion - you can ask 100 people and still get 150 varying answers. 

I will second that comment about the lack of cabs in the Boston cruise port. I was there last August and the line and the wait was extremely long. I think that we waited close to an hour. The line was so long that it had doubled back on itself and of course there were some who felt entitled to try and cut into the front of the line. 

42 minutes ago, Junelovestocruise said:

I will second that comment about the lack of cabs in the Boston cruise port. I was there last August and the line and the wait was extremely long. I think that we waited close to an hour. The line was so long that it had doubled back on itself and of course there were some who felt entitled to try and cut into the front of the line. 

On Aug 3? It was a terrible mess. Fortunately we didn't have anywhere to run off to.

If you can handle your luggage when you disembark you will face a large white building (Boston Design Center). Walk around the building until you see either the number 23 or 25 which is the street address for DryDock Ave. Call for your Uber from there. DryDock Ave is two way at those points so the driver can make a u-turn and avoid the chaos at the pier. 
If you have to go thru US immigration in Boston you will not make a 10:15 flight. 
I know it can be frustrating since you can see the airport from the port but it can take 20 to 30 minutes to get to the airport depending on traffic. 

To top that off going through security at the airport is hit and miss. The in-laws made it through quickly, while my wife and I got sent to another line to then be redirected back to the line the in-laws went through and with not a lot of people in the line it took us 20-30 minutes longer then them to get through. Who knows how bad it would be when busy. 

Also the clear or whatever the latest thing is, those passengers get taken right to the TSA agent that checks passports letting us normal people have a longer wait.

Edited by cgolf1

Native Bostonian here.  No! No!  A thousand times no!  There are way too many areas where unexpected and often inexplicable traffic issues arise.  Clearing the port is merely the first hurdle.  Please don't do that to yourself.  Get a later flight or perhaps stay overnight and enjoy our beautiful city.

• Like 1

Delta just changed my flight out of Boston from 11 am to 10 am and I knew that wouldn't work.  So I went on their website and changed us to 12 noon.  Jake @Crazy For Cats what car service did you use to get to the airport?   We don't have uber service where I live so I don't even have the app.  I need help with either the car service or someplace near the terminal where we can find taxis.  Our last port before arriving for Boston disembarkation so I hope that helps with clearing us back into the US.  We are also getting off on a Wednesday so probably lots of traffic.

We ended up doing the Holland provided shuttle(Bus) for an 11:20 flight and it worked great last Saturday. Fee wasn't awful either.

They had two groups, one for flights between 11 and 2 and the second for flights after 2.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

Also the clear or whatever the latest thing is, those passengers get taken right to the TSA agent that checks passports letting us normal people have a longer wait.

If you're talking about Global Entry (which is ICE, not TSA) I've been told at serval US ports that is doesn't always work for cruise ships but mainly for airports.

44 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

We ended up doing the Holland provided shuttle(Bus) for an 11:20 flight and it worked great last Saturday. Fee wasn't awful either.

They had two groups, one for flights between 11 and 2 and the second for flights after 2.

But they didn't have group for flights at 10:15,which the OP is asking about. Might be a message there.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

How do we book that?  Considering that the airport is not far from the cruise port, I would hope that the fee would not be "awful."  BTW, what is the usual taxi fare for the trip?

30 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

If you're talking about Global Entry (which is ICE, not TSA) I've been told at serval US ports that is doesn't always work for cruise ships but mainly for airports.

If you google Clear and TSA together you will find it. I am not sure what it was but they jumped the line for sure. Boston may have pushed us to paying the small amount of money for TSA Pre. Also hate taking out my CPAP.

Just now, cgolf1 said:

If you google Clear and TSA together you will find it. I am not sure what it was but they jumped the line for sure. Boston may have pushed us to paying the small amount of money for TSA Pre. Also hate taking out my CPAP.

Anyone who travels even a modest amount should get TSA Pre.  Global Entry combines them, but is unnecessary for domestic travel.  TSA definitely is, though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

How do we book that?  Considering that the airport is not far from the cruise port, I would hope that the fee would not be "awful."  BTW, what is the usual taxi fare for the trip?

My wife said it was under the book flights or transfers section or something similar. The Holland website wasn't the easiest to use, which is a common theme for most cruise sites.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/pre-post-travel-cruise.html

I am not logged in, but it might be here.

Edited by cgolf1

1 minute ago, cgolf1 said:

My wife said it was under the book flights or transfers section or something similar. The Holland website wasn't the easiest to use, which is a common theme for most cruise sites.

Thank you.  I will try the Flights section.  It sounds likely.