Hotel in Sydney

When in January? Close to New Years is really expensive around the harbour.

Convenient or budget?

View of the harbour, or no view required?

For me, if price doesn't matter - Quay Grand Harbour room. If price does matter - Marriot is convenient and good value. Rydges Sydney Harbour is closest to OPT, but not on my short list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

What are the cougars like their uncle Les ?

There were a few Penriff Cougars in the Customs House Bar, back of the Marriott. I suspect they escaped from a Royal Caribbean ship.

🤣

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Ye olde Sydney Harbour Rydges is no more than a 3 star hotel these days and expensive. When a ship is in, up go their prices. Rogues.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Ye olde Sydney Harbour Rydges is no more than a 3 star hotel these days and expensive. When a ship is in, up go their prices. Rogues.

Have stayed there when it was Holday Inn, ok but overpriced due to proximity to the OTC. Wouldn’t stay there again.

If you want pure indulgence go for a club room with full harbour view at Four Seasons 🥰 Saving up for next stay😉

Cheap and cheerful - Rendezvous with harbour view.😀

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fairywren said:

Cheap and cheerful - Rendezvous with harbour view.😀

Not so cheap anymore, but it's a nice small hotel and has kitchenettes, and it's right in the centre of The Rocks, and short walk to the cruise terminal. However, it's quite low down, so if there's a cruise ship in port, the ship blocks your view of most of the harbour and the opera house.

For anyone on a budget, have a look at the Great Southern Hotel, a nice old fashioned three star place in the Haymarket.  The rooms have been well modernised, especially the bathrooms, and there are lots of interesting places to eat in easy walking distance. It's an easy ride down George Street to Circular Quay on the light rail line. Seems to be popular with cruisers. The last time I stayed there, there were eight of us waiting for a taxi to White Bay for the cruise.

• Like 1

The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel seems to be in a good location and rooms are between $140-$160USD which seems attractive.  No one here has mentioned it.  Is it a place we should avoid?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

8 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

The Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel seems to be in a good location and rooms are between $140-$160USD which seems attractive.  No one here has mentioned it.  Is it a place we should avoid?  Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

Lord Nelson is fantastic,it’s a historic pub ,rooms are very nice but the only drawback it’s in a residential area and a little out of the way.

If you don’t have mobility problems and like something a bit quite it’s perfect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

Any opinions on Radisson Blu please? 💕

I haven’t stayed there but people have a good opinion of it ,large rooms,good value.

Personally if you can afford it , I would try for something closer to the water but you are only going to sleep there.

• Like 1

Thank you! We're coming in for three days prior, then a day after, before heading to New Caledonia for a few days, and I liked the look of their Business Class rooms 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

Anyone have any knowledge of The Grace hotel. My wife liked the art deco look of it.

I don't really have an opinion either way on the Grace. Yes, the building is interesting. For a bit more art deco, also take a look at Luxury Accommodation in Sydney - Kimpton Margot Sydney which is also home to Luke's Kitchen, although I don't think it is open every day. Luke's Kitchen | Kimpton Restaurants (ihg.com)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Yehootu said:

Anyone have any knowledge of The Grace hotel. My wife liked the art deco look of it.

Grace hotel never disappoints,it’s an old department store converted to a hotel with modern conveniences.

Large rooms ,central location with good transport. It’s in the business district, not near water views or anything.

Yes, Sydney accommodation prices have gone up greatly in the last six months.   Way more than inflation.  

Weekends are higher priced, of course, especially Friday and Saturday. The only more affordable prices are at the airport hotels, not in the city.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:09 PM, cruiser3775 said:

For anyone on a budget, have a look at the Great Southern Hotel, a nice old fashioned three star place in the Haymarket.  The rooms have been well modernised, especially the bathrooms,

+1 - I stayed there in February before my cruise and was very comfortable there. Cost me $169 for the night

• Like 2