Royal Up - Is it normal to get an upgrade offer for categories that look sold out?

Hello:

We’re sailing on Harmony of the Seas in about a month and I received the email for Royal Up. Its offering everything from an ultra spacious balcony to a 2 bedroom grand suite. 

When I try to make a mock booking to get a feel for availability, no cabins on any category higher than mine show available, even when changing the number of passengers. 

So my question is: Is it normal to get a Royal Up Offer for categories that aren’t even available? Or could there be cabins available that I can’t see? 

I placed an offer but I want to have realistic expectations and not harbor false hopes about the upgrade actually occurring. 

Any feedback about how the logistics of Royal Up work will be greatly appreciated. We’ve sailed on Royal several times before but this is my first time dealing with a Royal Up Offer. 

Thanks in advance! 

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The reality is that wining a Royal Up is quite rare (despite to wins listed in various threads/posts here).

Plus the chances of winning your bid have gone down substantially since ships are now back to their pre-covid levels of capacity. I would imagine that someone hoping to go from an inside to a balcony would have a much higher chance of winning their bid over someone wanting to go from a balcony to a full suite. There simply are not that many suites that go unsold in the regular manner. 

We've received offers when the entire ship is sold out.  I tell people who ask this question that they are just covering themselves in case of cancellations.  They can move someone up in category and then sell their original cabin for more than it originally went for.  It's never about what's available, but always about what might become available.

• Like 4

I also wonder if they use the data to see how much people are willing to pay for certain cabins.  Lots of good data in there for them to use.  They keep pushing prices up and up and so far people keep booking.

1 hour ago, akcruz said:

I also wonder if they use the data to see how much people are willing to pay for certain cabins.  Lots of good data in there for them to use.  They keep pushing prices up and up and so far people keep booking.

^^^ This ^^^

Another thing to keep in mind is that even one cancelation towards the top of the food chain can cause a domino effect for Royal Up bids. Say a Royal Loft Suite becomes available, and it goes to someone who originally booked an Aqua Theater Suite that is now available for someone coming from a Grand Suite, which is now available for someone in a Junior Suite, etc.

Naturally, they want to be prepared for any possible contingencies and keep every pricier cabin (and especially every suite) booked. So it's a solid business strategy to have backups in place just in case. But no, it doesn't happen often and seems to be happening less and less with current fill rates. 

• Like 1

First, please remembe that you are not special, every guest on the ship, can do this.  It even now shows on the app.  The email is not needed.  This is nothing more than you make a bid, and if a room opens up for any reason, the hightest bidder will get it.  Now, if many rooms are available in your mock booking, the chances might  be greater.  But again, this is nothing more than a bid.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:03 PM, Joseph2018Baltic said:

First, please remember that you are not special, every guest on the ship, can do this.  

On a ship that holds over 5,000 passengers, trust me, I know I’m not special. 😂

The last time I sailed on an Oasis class ship was 12 years ago (aboard Allure). At the time, I said that one time would be enough. But here we are again, giving it another shot.

But this time, we’re bringing our children at an age they can enjoy it. When we sailed on the Allure, our son was only 18 months old. He’s now returning as a teenager. 

• Like 1

First, please remembe that you are not special, every guest on the ship, can do this.  It even now shows on the app.  The email is not needed.  This is nothing more than you make a bid, and if a room opens up for any reason, the hightest bidder will get it.  Now, if many rooms are available in your mock booking, the chances might  be greater.  But again, this is nothing more than a bid.

Where did OP say or insinuate in any way that they are "special"?  SMH

Actually, the highest bidder does not always work.  I've received all of mine with the minimum bids.  And more success with sold out cruises then 50% full.  I think this qualifies me as a special person.