Venezia to sail from Port Canaveral

tidecat

How disappointing for NYC, that didn’t last long at all. I wonder what the reason is, she had a more variety this time around but I guess it wasn’t enough? Royal Caribbeans and Norwegian don’t seem to have this issue and well I guess we will see how MSC does. 

My guess is that the bookings were not very strong for the upcoming winter. Disappointing since some of the itineraries were pretty good. That Miami / Bahamas itinerary is a loser though. 😎

• Like 3

I tried a NYC-Bermuda cruise on NCL at the end of March. Beautiful ship, lots of great outdoor places to sit and dine - all completely unusable because it was just too cold. As much as I love sailing from NYC, I won't do it again outside the May-October time frame.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mdin said:

I was considering doing a 12 day from NYC in 2025 or 2026 if it was offered. Hopefully it comes back and does some late fall sailings.

It leaves for Port Canaveral in December 2024 so presumably it would cruise from New York through November every year

• Like 1

Maybe they just have ideas for a different ship for NYC to change it up a little?  One of the new, larger ships perhaps?  NCL usually varies it's ships in NY.  I've been in the Gem, Getaway and Breakaway all out of NY over the last 7 or 8 years.

Oh well that was quick. I am sure if they give people a good product people would book. The product is still unknown in this newly branded ship. The royal cruises are actually getting more expensive every winter that I go on so there seems to be demand.

Well carnival must be bleeding too much to even take a chance. 

Royal, NCL and now MSC see something - carnival doesn’t want to chance it. 

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

My guess is that the bookings were not very strong for the upcoming winter. Disappointing since some of the itineraries were pretty good. That Miami / Bahamas itinerary is a loser though. 😎

Couldn't agree more.  That being said we have 2 Port Canaveral/ Bahamas cruises booked. One on MSC and one on Royal.

Not my first choice but things are what they are. lol

1 hour ago, mdin said:

I was considering doing a 12 day from NYC in 2025 or 2026 if it was offered. Hopefully it comes back and does some late fall sailings.

Had an 11 day booked on Venezia for next April but after finding out about the high cost of parking decided to cancel it and do an 11 day out of Port Canaveral on MSC since Carnival didn't have anything 11 days leaving from Florida.

• Like 2

We have a 21-day B2B booked on Venezia 9/23/23 to 10/14/23.  6-day Canada/New England then 15-day Southern Caribbean.  I was already a little concerned about booking a cruise from New York that late in the season, but hopefully New England will be pretty in the fall and then we head to the warm Southern Caribbean.  I just couldn't imagine sailing from there in the dead of winter, especially on a shorter cruise that would just about make it to a warmer climate, only to turn around and head back to freezing temperatures.  I assume winter bookings would have been down significantly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

It leaves for Port Canaveral in December 2024 so presumably it would cruise from New York through November every year

Is there that much more demand to fill up Vista, Mardi Gras and now Venezia? Not even including Freedom and Glory which do the shorter run. 

14 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Is there that much more demand to fill up Vista, Mardi Gras and now Venezia? Not even including Freedom and Glory which do the shorter run. 

Port Canaveral has said that all the ships from there have been more than 100% capacity 🤷‍♂️

Also there are 5 ships from Miami

Edited by CarnivalShips480
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

May not be the only announcement. 5 ships from Canaveral seems like a ton of capacity (20,000+ berths), especially when that total swells to 10 ships by adding Miami (an additional 21,000+ berths).

Look, I have no doubt this wasn't the original plan and that winter bookings have lagged. We ourselves have an 11 nighter planned on her for late next March and it was quite inexpensive relatively speaking.

Edited by jsglow

19 minutes ago, jsglow said:

May not be the only announcement. 5 ships from Canaveral seems like a ton of capacity (20,000+ berths), especially when that total swells to 10 ships by adding Miami (an additional 21,000+ berths).

Look, I have no doubt this wasn't the original plan and that winter bookings have lagged. We ourselves have an 11 nighter planned on her for late next March and it was quite inexpensive relatively speaking.

Yeah possibly, we have 3 booked in her including an 8 day to the Bahamas in January because of the cheap prices. I guess we will see. 

Wouldn’t mind if they swung Mardi Gras up here but that’s just being hopeful. 

22 minutes ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Wouldn’t mind if they swung Mardi Gras up here but that’s just being hopeful. 

Zero chance of that.  Those 3 ships may dance the 3 main ports but that's it.

I would agree that advanced bookings weren't meeting Carnival's expectations, hence the decision.  A lot of capacity has been injected into the NYC market -- a few weeks ago I was looking at a weeklong MSC itinerary that priced out ~$550 per cabin (no single supplement) with plenty of availability in the fall & winter.  

Maybe we'll see further movement.  With Frontier and Spirit building up operations in San Juan, there's tons of direct flights and low fares in the market right now.  Maybe now's the time to restore some Southern Caribbean itineraries?  Then Carnival could kill the 8-day itineraries to the ABC islands on the Celebration and come up with some cheap, fuel saving itinerary a la Mardi Gras.

• Like 2

Port Canaveral just keeps extending it's passenger lead over Miami. Great news! Miami is just too congested even with the new tunnel.  Princess just added a ship from PC the other day. The expensive parking in Miami is not helping either.  

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, coaster said:

Port Canaveral just keeps extending its passenger lead over Miami. Great news! Miami is just too congested even with the new tunnel.  The expensive parking in Miami is not helping either. 

Very premature.  Wouldn’t be surprising to see Carnival play musical chairs with its fleet.

12 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

They could use a Spirit class ship during the winter.  It would be easier to fill a ship with less than half the capacity. 

And they have retractable roofs over the pool.  I'm booked for Jan, '24 on Venezia and I guess I'm in the minority because I was super excited CCL was coming back to NY in the winter.  Then again, maybe because of my circumstances-I'm about 20 minutes to the port and I'd gladly give up expense, time and hassle of flying to a port.  I realize 1 1/2 days down and 1 1/2 days back will be cold, but I'd be inside anyway at home.  There's plenty to do, "free food" I don't have to cook or clean up after, etc.  If CCL had a spirit class ship here in NY it would be the answer to my prayers!!!

• Like 8