Passport Renewal

BND

On 7/25/2023 at 7:56 AM, handbellplayer said:

I have our passport renewal forms completed and ready to mail.  We cruise November 2 on Mariner, visiting Coco Cay, Nassau, and Cozumel.  I wanted to renew, since our passports expire 5/7/2024, so almost exactly six months later.  My husband read an article this morning about renewals taking up to six months.  Should we wait and renew after the cruise (and break the six months rule)  or send them in and risk travelling with only a BC and DL?

I just got my renewal back at 9 weeks and two days from when I mailed it.  8 weeks and 6 days from when it was received.  I did not pay for it to be expedited either.  The website said 10-13 weeks when mine was sent so I got it faster.  6 months is not what is happening unless something really wonky is going on with an individual.   For a closed loop cruise out of the US all you really need is a passport that doesn't expire until after the cruise.  My DH cruised out of CA several years ago with a passport that had 2 months left on it.  All the person said when we checked in, was your passport is going to expire in a couple of months.  No issue getting back into the US as what you really need it for on a closed loop.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

My husband's status has been showing in process since they received it on April 20. Yesterday it says supporting documents were mailed July 25. We haven't received the new passport yet and no status updates about it. No emails were received about any status either. 

3 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Now I just read that for traveling to Europe, we Americans are going to need a visa too, starting in 2024.  Uggg.

Australians, Europeans etc have had to get an E-Visa, the ESTA, to travel to America for many years. This is just another E-Visa to deal with so not a big deal. Much easier than getting one for China or India.

4 hours ago, cjb0717 said:

My husband's status has been showing in process since they received it on April 20. Yesterday it says supporting documents were mailed July 25. We haven't received the new passport yet and no status updates about it. No emails were received about any status either. 

Spoke too soon, new passport was delivered today. Although the status never did reflect that, I was checking it every day.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, wolfcathorse said:

State Department received our renewal app April 28 and approved our renewed passports July 5. we received them in the mail July 11. Sent in regular renewal, not expedited. Note, not all countries have the rule that passports must be valid for travel at least 6 months after your visit.

So, the country you intend to visit is only one consideration. You need to consider what your transportation provider wants. Most airlines require a 6 month passport. And they can deny you boarding, even if your eventual destination country doesn't care. 

Confusion will only get worse next year when Americans need to apply for and pay for ETIAS "Visas" to travel to Europe. 

Edited by BirdTravels

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, the country you intend to visit is only one consideration. You need to consider what your transportation provider wants. Most airlines require a 6 month passport. And they can deny you boarding, even if your eventual destination country doesn't care. 

Confusion will only get worse next year when Americans need to apply for and pay for ETIAS "Visas" to travel to Europe. 

We are driving to the port, so that is not an issue.

6 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

Now I just read that for traveling to Europe, we Americans are going to need a visa too, starting in 2024.  Uggg.

It isn't really a visa, it is a visa waiver program. It's all done on-line. New Zealand and Australia already have similar programs. For those, you use their app to submit an application and an email with the approval normally comes within 3 days. Ours came a few hours after we submitted them. 

The Europe version (ETIAS) has been 6 months to a year away for the past few years. Roll out continues to be delayed. So it happening in 2024 is possible but not a sure thing. 

Six month rule is dependent on the country you are visiting. Bahamas and Mexico do not have six month rule. Your passport only has to be valid on the day you are visiting. Have fun on your cruise and don't forget to send in your renewal as soon as you get home! 

• Like 3

Our non-expedited renewal applications were received on 06/13/2023 for books and cards.  Prior to today, our status was "In Process".  Today, the status is "Approved" with an anticipated arrival date of 8/1/2023.  We did not reach out to our Senators or anyone else.  Maybe the complaints regarding delays are helping?

Our DD's application is still "In Process", but her application was "New", since she was going from a 5 year passport to a 10 year passport.  I suppose her application is being processed differently than our applications.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

Our non-expedited renewal applications were received on 06/13/2023 for books and cards.  Prior to today, our status was "In Process".  Today, the status is "Approved" with an anticipated arrival date of 8/1/2023.  We did not reach out to our Senators or anyone else.  Maybe the complaints regarding delays are helping?

Our DD's application is still "In Process", but her application was "New", since she was going from a 5 year passport to a 10 year passport.  I suppose her application is being processed differently than our applications.

I’ve been checking everything day, and low and be hold it says it’s been approved

should receive it August 2 will see

On 7/26/2023 at 12:28 PM, rolloman said:

Yes, you do need to send in a birth certificate with your expired passport if you are under age 16. 

You can’t renew a minor’s passport by mail, if under 16 it’s a 5 year passport and needs to be done in person. The first adult 10 year passport needs to be in person.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You can’t renew a minor’s passport by mail, if under 16 it’s a 5 year passport and needs to be done in person. The first adult 10 year passport needs to be in person.

Exactly but like I said...you need to give a birth certificate and the expired passport or a child under 16. So the statement made by the poster was not exactly correct and that is why I corrected him.

I would renew before the trip and expedite. My passport was expiring April 2024 and I have cruises in Sept and Nov 2023. As the Nov one was within the six months I sent it in as soon as I got home from my May cruise. I paid to expedite it and got it back in six weeks. To me it was worth it to know I was covered if something went wrong and I need to fly home from an island.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:32 PM, BirdTravels said:

rather than reading the internet, go to the passport processing agency,

In reality "the internet" (this forum) is much more helpful, giving real-time, actual results from users, vs. generalized info that was updated who knows when.

2 hours ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

2 passports arrived yesterday.  No passport cards yet.  Still waiting for passport approval for DD and the return of all old passports and cards.

When was yours submitted?