Passport Renewal

BND

2 hours ago, Cruisin'4Us said:

Our applications were received on 06/13/2023.

Although we are signed up for email status notifications, we haven't received any (even in our spam folder)! 

I signed up for email notifications but didn’t received any I had to check everyday 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:56 AM, handbellplayer said:

I have our passport renewal forms completed and ready to mail.  We cruise November 2 on Mariner, visiting Coco Cay, Nassau, and Cozumel.  I wanted to renew, since our passports expire 5/7/2024, so almost exactly six months later.  My husband read an article this morning about renewals taking up to six months.  Should we wait and renew after the cruise (and break the six months rule)  or send them in and risk travelling with only a BC and DL?

When does your cruise end?  The below link from Royal says passports to expire at least 6 months AFTER your cruise (not at the START)?  I would bring birth certificates too, just in case.     Here is where it says "after" here:  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/topics/travel-documents#:~:text=We highly recommend that all,I am a U.S. Citizen%3F

On 7/26/2023 at 12:28 PM, rolloman said:

Yes, you do need to send in a birth certificate with your expired passport if you are under age 16. 

Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority. You must submit ONE of the following documents:

• Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

You cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a mobile or electronic birth certificate. You must submit physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the document. 

Should not require a Birth certificate for a child renewal under 16

Bolding is from me, not website.

8 minutes ago, SC LTC said:

Passport was delivered yesterday the last day of the month does anyone know what happens to the one that was sent in? Is it returned?

It is returned from a different office and usually a few days later.

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, Cruisin'4Us said:

Our non-expedited renewal applications were received on 06/13/2023 for books and cards.  Prior to today, our status was "In Process".  Today, the status is "Approved" with an anticipated arrival date of 8/1/2023.  We did not reach out to our Senators or anyone else.  Maybe the complaints regarding delays are helping?

Our DD's application is still "In Process", but her application was "New", since she was going from a 5 year passport to a 10 year passport.  I suppose her application is being processed differently than our applications.

On 7/30/2023 at 1:41 PM, Cruisin'4Us said:

2 passports arrived yesterday.  No passport cards yet.  Still waiting for passport approval for DD and the return of all old passports and cards.

2 Passport Cards arrived today.

We are still waiting for DD's approval and the return of all old passports and cards.

3 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Should not require a Birth certificate for a child renewal under 16

Bolding is from me, not website.

Well you can go tell that to the court house in Florida where I renewed for my daughter. Children under 16 must submit the original passport and certified birth certificate. They demanded and collected both. Period. End of Statement. 

30 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Well you can go tell that to the court house in Florida where I renewed for my daughter. Children under 16 must submit the original passport and certified birth certificate. They demanded and collected both. Period. End of Statement. 

I supplied birth certificates for my kids’ 2nd kiddie passport, I probably told them I lost the first ones. It killed me to get another one for one for my son who was weeks away from his 16th birthday for a choir trip to Canada, they bused. 

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I supplied birth certificates for my kids’ 2nd kiddie passport, I probably told them I lost the first ones. It killed me to get another one for one for my son who was weeks away from his 16th birthday for a choir trip to Canada, they bused. 

Same here, I contemplated letting it completely expire and applying later for the adult version but we have too many trips planned and with the obvious backlog we went ahead and submitted it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rolloman said:

Actually I can tell you it is not required, just the easiest. The expired passport proved citizenship, you used the birth certificate to prove family status. Other documents that may have been used include divorce decrees, medical or school records, adoption papers, guardianship, etc. 

On 7/25/2023 at 4:56 AM, handbellplayer said:

I have our passport renewal forms completed and ready to mail.  We cruise November 2 on Mariner, visiting Coco Cay, Nassau, and Cozumel.  I wanted to renew, since our passports expire 5/7/2024, so almost exactly six months later.  My husband read an article this morning about renewals taking up to six months.  Should we wait and renew after the cruise (and break the six months rule)  or send them in and risk travelling with only a BC and DL?

I mailed mine on June 3.  It arrived June 6.   It showed in process until July 7 when it said approved and being sent to print.   I got it in the mail on July 13.   I paid for expedited but not express mail.

8 hours ago, rolloman said:

Don't  you have duplicate birth certificates for you and your kids? We always did. They were all "original" copies from the state. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Actually I can tell you it is not required, just the easiest. The expired passport proved citizenship, you used the birth certificate to prove family status. Other documents that may have been used include divorce decrees, medical or school records, adoption papers, guardianship, etc. 

A child under 16 probably does not have a divorce decree. Listen...I responded to someone else who said a person would never need to give up a birth cert and an expired passport. I simply gave an example showing there is a circumstance where that statement is not true...however, for some reason you are all in trying to prove me wrong when in fact, I just went through the aforementioned scenario. The clerk said give up the passport and birth certificate and that is what we did. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Don't  you have duplicate birth certificates for you and your kids? We always did. They were all "original" copies from the state. 

Please provide, where I said I didn't have a spare copy...

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I do not have spares for anyone, just one original and uncertified copies. My kids were born 4 miles away so getting extras should be pretty easy, I was born elsewhere and still only have my old faded original.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I do not have spares for anyone, just one original and uncertified copies. My kids were born 4 miles away so getting extras should be pretty easy, I was born elsewhere and still only have my old faded original.

When I sent my passport renewal in I also ordered a new birth certificate as my original is done on blue paper, typewritten and 63 yrs old.  I live in VA but was born in TX.  I  went to the TX.gov site and ordered a new one and it took about a month.  It's very different from my original that was issued in 1960 lol.   I just had to provide identifying info including my driver's license number so they can verify name and address.   Now, I have a 2 bc's and my passport.  My DH also has a couple of copies of his NY bc as his original from 1957 wasn't in great shape and he has a passport.  We've both had  passports for 40+ years.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, capriccio said:

It is returned from a different office and usually a few days later.

I'm still waiting for my old one to be returned.  It's been almost two weeks.

ETA, I just checked my status and it says "supporting documents mailed 7/29/23.  So, I should see them soon.  I know it won't be today because we get an email showing what mail we're getting everyday.

I also subscribed to get updates by email, but never got a single one.  So much for that.

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rolloman said:

A child under 16 probably does not have a divorce decree. Listen...I responded to someone else who said a person would never need to give up a birth cert and an expired passport. I simply gave an example showing there is a circumstance where that statement is not true...however, for some reason you are all in trying to prove me wrong when in fact, I just went through the aforementioned scenario. The clerk said give up the passport and birth certificate and that is what we did. 

Great. It worked for you. Not all of us have that luxury. My wife was divorced and remarried (me). Her daughters birth certificate no longer met the qualifications to show parental relationship, as she took my name when we were married, hence her name is different from the mother's name on the birth certificate. Her divorce decree, as most if not all do, lists the children from the marriage by name and hence shows parental relationship. Her marriage license/name change completes it.

4. Show Parental Relationship

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.  

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

U.S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)

Foreign birth certificate

Adoption decree

Divorce/Custody decree

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

My sister has 2 kids from international adoption. For professional reasons, my sister and her husband kept their individual names, so they have different last names. Her kids have a hyphenated combo of both their names, so their last names are not the same as the parents. My sister and her husband are pretty obviously not their natural parents, and a birth certificate is also useless for them. I'll have to ask her exactly what she has to use, but I would guess naturalization papers and adoption papers.

You do not have to supply a birth certificate for a child renewal under 16. Original expired/expiring passport (shows citizenship), and what ever documents you have to convince the passport officer you have proper parental authority is what is required. In your case, a BC worked fine as the names matched. For others, it is not even acceptable.

10 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

I mailed mine on June 3.  It arrived June 6.   It showed in process until July 7 when it said approved and being sent to print.   I got it in the mail on July 13.   I paid for expedited but not express mail.

I sent in my renewal in early June as well.  They cashed my check on 6-13-23.  I checked my status yesterday - still "processing"  😒 but I didn't pay anything extra for expediting anything so I'm sure I will wait the full 10-13 weeks.  No biggie.  My BC is working splendidly.  Have used it 3 times so far.  They can take all the time they want at the State Department.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

Great. It worked for you. Not all of us have that luxury. My wife was divorced and remarried (me). Her daughters birth certificate no longer met the qualifications to show parental relationship, as she took my name when we were married, hence her name is different from the mother's name on the birth certificate. Her divorce decree, as most if not all do, lists the children from the marriage by name and hence shows parental relationship. Her marriage license/name change completes it.

4. Show Parental Relationship

You must submit documentation that lists the parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the child applying for a passport.  

The following may be used to show parental relationship:

U.S. birth certificate (also evidence of U.S. citizenship)

Foreign birth certificate

Adoption decree

Divorce/Custody decree

Please note: Some documents, like a U.S. birth certificate, show both U.S. citizenship and parental relationship. These documents must be originals or certified copies (not photocopies).

My sister has 2 kids from international adoption. For professional reasons, my sister and her husband kept their individual names, so they have different last names. Her kids have a hyphenated combo of both their names, so their last names are not the same as the parents. My sister and her husband are pretty obviously not their natural parents, and a birth certificate is also useless for them. I'll have to ask her exactly what she has to use, but I would guess naturalization papers and adoption papers.

You do not have to supply a birth certificate for a child renewal under 16. Original expired/expiring passport (shows citizenship), and what ever documents you have to convince the passport officer you have proper parental authority is what is required. In your case, a BC worked fine as the names matched. For others, it is not even acceptable.

And great for you...but again...I was responding to someone else with a specific scenario and you chimed in and convoluted my response to the poster. I was right, you were right...please move on...there are plenty of other half-truth crazy posts on here you can practice your debating skills with. 

7 hours ago, BND said:

I'm still waiting for my old one to be returned.  It's been almost two weeks.

ETA, I just checked my status and it says "supporting documents mailed 7/29/23.  So, I should see them soon.  I know it won't be today because we get an email showing what mail we're getting everyday.

I also subscribed to get updates by email, but never got a single one.  So much for that.

And, leave it to the post office to miss a piece of mail.  My old passport came today even though it didn't show in our informed delivery.

Received my passport renewal yesterday, Aug 2nd. I sent it in in June, they received it June 26th. So it was 5 weeks, very surprised and very happy with the time. 

I did expedite it and paid for the 1-2 day return mailing. 

I never received an email on status, I checked it about once a week. They posted that it was sent to the PO on July 29, mailed out on July 30th.

Lucky girl here, no issues with it. 😊

Did not receive my old passport yet.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cruisercl said:

Received my passport renewal yesterday, Aug 2nd. I sent it in in June, they received it June 26th. So it was 5 weeks, very surprised and very happy with the time. 

I did expedite it and paid for the 1-2 day return mailing. 

I never received an email on status, I checked it about once a week. They posted that it was sent to the PO on July 29, mailed out on July 30th.

Lucky girl here, no issues with it. 😊

Did not receive my old passport yet.

Good luck everyone!

Identical to my experience.

Got it in early June and have still not received my old passport.

• Like 1

Today's mail contained my Passport. My non-expedited applicant only took 20 weeks. Basically 5 months to get this today. I never got an e-mail from them. I had to check nearly everyday. My last check it had gone from "in process" to "Shipped" It went onto say my supporting docs will be sent seperately and I should receive them within two weeks. 

Guess now it is time to start packing for my upcoming cruise.

duckies17sn.jpg

• Like 3