Has anyone else wondered this?

8 hours ago, robmtx said:

And here I was thinking I was the only one enduring this ritual! We need a support group. I especially love when we first get into a room and I can't touch anything. I can lay on the bed.. She'll clean the remote then give it to me .. Then she'll stink the place up with Lysol and I'll go for a walk.. lol

She lets you lay on the bed in your outside clothes? 😂

• Haha 2

So a friend was on Wonder last week and found bed bugs in the room ....they upgraded them from interior to a OV Balcony, so they got a little something, but said it had them a little "itchy" the rest of the trip.  SO as much as I am NOT a germaphobe or worrier when it comes to rooms being spotless, I WILL do a quick once over on the beds when I get back on in a few months! 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Keksie said:

I just wonder if any of you ate dirt or drank out of a garden hose growing up?

no, I didn't. But I did get salmonella poisoning as a child and almost died. Do you think that improved my immune system?

And every time we went on a summer vacation as a family, I inevitably got noro or rotavirus... My poor mom. EVERY TIME.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

52 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

no, I didn't. But I did get salmonella poisoning as a child and almost died. Do you think that improved my immune system?

And every time we went on a summer vacation as a family, I inevitably got noro or rotavirus... My poor mom. EVERY TIME.

Salmonella is bacterial so no it did not improve your immune system.  I had noro once from a land based restaurant 40 or so years ago. I don't think I have ever gotten ill on a trip.

3 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

So a friend was on Wonder last week and found bed bugs in the room ....they upgraded them from interior to a OV Balcony, so they got a little something, but said it had them a little "itchy" the rest of the trip.  SO as much as I am NOT a germaphobe or worrier when it comes to rooms being spotless, I WILL do a quick once over on the beds when I get back on in a few months! 

That is the thing with bedbugs.  The room can be really clean.   But, if someone in the room before you stayed someplace with bedbugs, the room can have bedbugs.  We have a blacklight to search.   I hope they didn't take the bedbugs home.,  That is what scars me.  

6 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

That is the thing with bedbugs.  The room can be really clean.   But, if someone in the room before you stayed someplace with bedbugs, the room can have bedbugs.  We have a blacklight to search.   I hope they didn't take the bedbugs home.,  That is what scars me.  

What do you have to look for the bedbugs? Can you post a pic or link.

We Lysol wipe down everything including the inside of the drawers and spray Lysol on the soft fabric of chairs or sofas.  On older ships with shower curtains I take a dollar store shower curtain and put it inside the existing cloth one just in case it’d touch my body.  Then I relax and enjoy the cruise.  

You can get a black light flash light off Amazon.  But it might make you crazy for what you find.  I’ve used it at home after the grand dog comes over.  She’s little and old and if I don’t search for pee spots it might sit there.  I usually find one.  It will show any body fluid but I didn’t know it could help search for bedbugs. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Yeah, I don't want to carry a black light around, but I will do a quick look over under the sheets to see if anything is in the mattress cracks.  They didn't even notice the bedbugs until day 3, so I don't know if they were under the sheets and got moved around when the sheets were changed, or just didn't notice until they had some bites

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Yeah, I don't want to carry a black light around, but I will do a quick look over under the sheets to see if anything is in the mattress cracks.  They didn't even notice the bedbugs until day 3, so I don't know if they were under the sheets and got moved around when the sheets were changed, or just didn't notice until they had some bites

Our blacklight is about 3" long and uses one AA.   Before I got that, I checked for dark red-brown lines around the bed.   They get blood on their feet.  

If they didn't notice until day 3, they might bring them home.  

• Like 1

Having spent over 20 plus years working in the QSR industry and having seen a lifetime of restaurants so filthy that I wanted to change my clothes after being in them, the turn on a cruise ship doesn't phase me on single bit.  I'm more leery of the food service side of the ships and those areas are not turned in a few hours.  They are in constant use and need constant attention.  As for my stateroom I don't blink an eye, since even if the attendant had an hour per room it still would not get 'sanitized'.  I can easily wipe down any surface that I feel needs it.  Or worst case as the attendant to deep clean it.  Consuming food from a kitchen that you cannot see into is whole different kettle of fish.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Senoj84 said:

I do wonder about this, even when I stay at hotels. It's the reason why I always travel with a can of Lysol on every trip. I spray down everything when we get to our room. 

Lysol does not kill bedbugs.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

You claimed it's one reason you carry lysol, and thus the confusion.

I understand your point. I probably should have quoted the op response in my first response about Lysol. Will do next time to cut down on confusion. 

• Like 2

Count us in as "Lysol/Clorox wipers." 

I put wipes in zip-lock bags and keep them handy in my laptop backpack for the flight and cabin. For a flight, I wipe the belt buckle, arm rests, tray tables, window shade, power plug, air vent, and other areas on the plane. Then I wipe my own hands and sit down for the flight. I was an IT consultant and flew 100K miles/year for years. I've seen gross unspeakable things done by passengers who were sick, in bare feet, handling dirty baby diapers, snotty tissues, clipping toenails, and more. I think your toilet seat at home is cleaner than the passenger seat and surrounding area on a plane.

In the cabin, all door handles, knobs, desk area and handles, lamp switches, balcony railing, remote control, etc. gets the once over with several wipes before we do anything else after we get access to the cabin.

Does it help?  Who knows.  Does it hurt? Nope.  Do I feel a little more at ease?  Yes.

• Like 2

You have to be out of cabin by about 8 a.m.   And you can't get in cabin until about 1:00 or 1:30 p.m.    So they have 5+ hours to clean and ready the cabins.   The rest of the ship is being constantly cleaned.  It seems there is always someone cleaning handrails and elevator buttons, all the high touch areas.   It seems more than adequate to me, probably much cleaner than schools and restaurants and stores, etc.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keksie said:

Salmonella is bacterial so no it did not improve your immune system.  I had noro once from a land based restaurant 40 or so years ago. I don't think I have ever gotten ill on a trip.

Your immune system attacks bacteria just as it does viruses. Why would you say that it would not beef up your immune system?

I always bring Clorox wipes and Lysol spray. Been doing it before pandemic too. I DNGAF if some rando thinks I'm a germaphobe or whatever. Getting sick on vacation is the worst! So I like to reduce my chances as much as I am able to reasonably wipe/spray down my room and enjoy the rest of my vacation!

• Like 7

On 5/18/2023 at 1:49 PM, Max and Ruby said:

don't forget to look for bed bugs

Bed bugs pooh is easy to see on sheets....little dark speckles, I always check 'em.  Never got bed bugs and don't intend to...Mom's phrase always flashes in my head..."Don't let the bed bugs bite!"  She actually said that to me all the time...hahaha thanks Mom!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

It seems there is always someone cleaning handrails and elevator buttons,

But I try never to touch the stair rails if I can help it, figure those are the worst, the elevator buttons, whatryagonnado?  On Odyssey half the time the hover buttons just didn't respond so I ended up touching them.  I'm still here...............🤮