Minors losing their Diamond status…

Hello, I tried to update those interested on the previous thread, but it was closed.  My son who is now 23 and married went on his first cruise as an adult the end of April. He was diamond through us prior to 18 years old.  His wife is a first time cruiser.  When they boarded, his card said "Diamond" her's did not.  They went up to the Diamond Lounge and spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador.  She updated my daughter-in-law's status to Diamond and explained to them that they will be Diamond whenever they cruise with Royal, but their points have now reverted back to their actual cruise points and to get to the next level (Diamond Plus) they will earn off of their adjusted points.  I hope this helps with anyone whose kids are now adults and wondering what status they are.  By the way, they were on Allure of the Seas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, graciekelli said:

Hello, I tried to update those interested on the previous thread, but it was closed.  My son who is now 23 and married went on his first cruise as an adult the end of April. He was diamond through us prior to 18 years old.  His wife is a first time cruiser.  When they boarded, his card said "Diamond" her's did not.  They went up to the Diamond Lounge and spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador.  She updated my daughter-in-law's status to Diamond and explained to them that they will be Diamond whenever they cruise with Royal, but their points have now reverted back to their actual cruise points and to get to the next level (Diamond Plus) they will earn off of their adjusted points.  I hope this helps with anyone whose kids are now adults and wondering what status they are.  By the way, they were on Allure of the Seas.

So no one lost Diamond status (as the title says), right?  Your son had Diamond from cruising with you, his wife just didn't "inherit" Diamond from him until they talked to LA.  Do I have that right?

I'm pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work.  Child takes first time cruise with parents at age 17.5. 

Parents are Diamond, so the Child "inherits" the Diamond status.  After the cruise (let's say it's 7 days), the child has 7 points, but is Diamond.  He will remain Diamond until he gets to 175 points.  

I guess Spouse inherits status level, so that's why the LA moved her to Diamond.  She can't get to D+ until either she gets to 175 points OR she sails with her husband after HE gets to 175 points.  

Am I wrong in my understanding? 

• Like 3

The title is incorrect. They do not lose their status. They just revert to their own earned points.

It's no different than those of us who get reciprocal status via Celebrity. We get the status, but our points are only what we have earned on Royal ships. I am Diamond with 50-something points. I don't get a jump start toward Diamond Plus.

• Like 1

You cant inherit status until you have your own C & A number, we posted back to you why it was easier once the new wife boarded and said this was a good way to do it. Not before her first cruise. 

I remember your post. Sorry that you dont understand you dont match status until you have your own number. Also even if you inherit the status, when you cruise your real points are what counts and new pts added onto.

Maybe this explains it to you better since it seems you didnt understand. I matched to elite on celebrity.  My real points on celebrity now count so until my real earned points exceeds the matched status I dont move ahead in loyalty. You dont inherit points, you match their status. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Sorry but not sure I agree when a child who gathers point while traveling with parents and then is an adult now gets a spouse to have full points too.

not sure that is really fair.

"Fair" has nothing to do with the RCI C&A policy that has been in affect for years.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

"Fair" has nothing to do with the RCI C&A policy that has been in affect for years.

Don’t agree they should give away points.

at some point too many will high points and system will be a joke .

everyone needs to earn their own IMHO.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Sorry but not sure I agree when a child who gathers point while traveling with parents and then is an adult now gets a spouse to have full points too.

The points dont transfer. Have to earn them.

In this case their child when he was a minor became diamond thru his parents. That's his status. He now gave his wife the same diamond status.

I think what the op is saying she thinks the points on the account when he lived at home and the highest pts showed, mom or dads or both ..didnt transfer. Now his actual points show now that he is married. He cant move up further until he earns them. Evidently his points were less than his parents. Mom is now posting how his points were taken away .. he never had them. The account shows the highest points in the household. The OP seems also to be confusing points and loyalty status. 

9 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I guess you don't understand the concept/policy of giving a significant other matching status.

18 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

On Celebrity everyone in the cabin gets the same status of the highest person regardless of whether they are related or not...it's not uncommon and in fact Roysls is stricter than some programs. 

45 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I can see it both ways.

My adults "kids" never received CAS status from me because I switched to Royal later in life, after a divorce.  Right after the divorce I didn't have money to cruise and I didn't, for a while.  By the time I could my kids missed the match.

Fast forward and now my adult kids are booking and paying their own way.  Absent of meaningful CAS status and being early in their careers they can't afford Royal, they shop low prices. So they book elsewhere.  Royal loses the revenue.  

If they were Diamond that would make all the difference with their limited budgets.  Four free drinks would be a game changer.  They would be more likely to book Royal.  

At their age they are not lounge dwellers so their presence, if they were D would have zero impact on other CAS members.  

As an investor I have to weigh the cost of four drinks versus lost revenue and seeing the competition get the business.  It's their money my kids have earned themselves by working, I'm not going to tell them how to vacation.  

Bottom line, Royal loses.  But they have no issue filling ships so, Royal wins?  They didn't have to give 4 drinks away for free.  🤷‍♂️

It's a loyalty program.  The match generates loyalty.  Mission accomplished.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

The points dont transfer. Have to earn them.

In this case their child when he was a minor became diamond thru his parents. That's his status. He now gave his wife the same diamond status.

I think what the op is saying she thinks the points on the account when he lived at home and the highest pts showed, mom or dads or both ..didnt transfer. Now his actual points show now that he is married. He cant move up further until he earns them. Evidently his points were less than his parents. Mom is now posting how his points were taken away .. he never had them. The account shows the highest points in the household. The OP seems also to be confusing points and loyalty status. 

My daughter is diamond status that she inherited through me. When we called 2 months ago to get her husband matched with her status, they told us no! They said although she is diamond, she is not true diamond and can't give her status to her husband! We were told that in order for a spouse to match status...the person has to have the points.

Edited by AspiringCindy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, AspiringCindy said:

My daughter is diamond status that she inherited through me. When we called 2 months ago to get her husband matched with her status, they told us no! They said although she is diamond, she is not true diamond and can't give her status to her husband! We were told that in order for a spouse to match status...the person has to have the points.

Ask the loyalty ambassador onboard. I bet he would match her if her spouse has diamond on his card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AspiringCindy said:

Any reasonable logic would tell you that this is how it should work. However, there are many threads and posts on this site that gives evidence to the contrary. D & D+ giving status to spouses & kids, and then the kids spouses, and then their kids, and spouses keeping it in divorces, and then their new spouses getting it, and their new kids, ad infinitum.

Our daughters are NOW 37 and 39...they went on a LOT of cruises with us as kids...At about the ages of 10 and 12, we started getting them their own cabin.  We took the older daughter on ONE more cruise than the younger one (because the older one's college was in Winter Break and the younger one's was in finals week.  At THAT point, the older daughter was LEGITIMATELY Diamond.  The younger one was thar one cruise short.  

A couple of years after college, the older daugfhter went on Freedom of the Seas with her former college roomie--it was the roomie's first cruise ever.  In these days, Royal's rules were different.  Because our daughter was Diamond and sharing a cabin with the roomie, the roomie got Diamond status as well.  Free Drinks in the Diamond Club for a couple of girls in their early 20s.  Boy was the roomie impressed!

A couple of years after that, we took both daughters on a cruise on Mariner of the Seas to Central America.  RCCL's rules had changed.  They told us that, though my wife and I and our older daughter were all Diamond, our younger daughter was still one cruise short.  I couldn't believe what I had been told.  I called RCCL back and got a different agent.  Same question, same initial answer.  I asked:  "So...When we all go out for pre-dinner drinks in the Diamond Club, should we just make our other daughter wait in the hall outside?"  The agent laughed.  She then "promoted" our younger daughter to Diamond.

This coming August, we're taking the daughters to Alaska on Quantum.  Booked three 1D balconies.  Younger daughter is married.  Older daughter bringing her boyfriend.  Son-i-law has been granted Diamond status.  Or...when we attend events, would some of you prefer we leave him out in the hall?  Other daughter's boyfriend is a Crown & Anchor member having taken multiple cruises with his parents when he was a child--but still isn't Diamond quite yet.  We understand that they don't have to be legally married--"significant others" can also get matching status if they are living at the same address (No reason to need to make things "official" just for a cruise).

Yes, I understand that acquiring Diamond status for the son-in-law and significant other adds to the numbers...but, seriously, it's not that big of a deal.  Not nearly as much of a numbers inflation as when they added the "reciprocity" thing foir RCCL/Celebrity.  Do you realize what THAT did to those "numbers"?  And, seriously, Royal Caribbean has never lost any money with us.  We are WELL into both Diamond Plus on RCCL and Elite Plus on Celebrity.  We've done countless long cruises and we've cruised several times in suites.  The 8 extra drinks per day for the two son-in-law/S.O. cost RCCL PENNIES a day.  Making OUR vacation more seamless and easy for us cruising as a FAMILY...that's priceless!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Our daughters are NOW 37 and 39...they went on a LOT of cruises with us as kids...At about the ages of 10 and 12, we started getting them their own cabin.  We took the older daughter on ONE more cruise than the younger one (because the older one's college was in Winter Break and the younger one's was in finals week.  At THAT point, the older daughter was LEGITIMATELY Diamond.  The younger one was thar one cruise short.  

A couple of years after college, the older daugfhter went on Freedom of the Seas with her former college roomie--it was the roomie's first cruise ever.  In these days, Royal's rules were different.  Because our daughter was Diamond and sharing a cabin with the roomie, the roomie got Diamond status as well.  Free Drinks in the Diamond Club for a couple of girls in their early 20s.  Boy was the roomie impressed!

A couple of years after that, we took both daughters on a cruise on Mariner of the Seas to Central America.  RCCL's rules had changed.  They told us that, though my wife and I and our older daughter were all Diamond, our younger daughter was still one cruise short.  I couldn't believe what I had been told.  I called RCCL back and got a different agent.  Same question, same initial answer.  I asked:  "So...When we all go out for pre-dinner drinks in the Diamond Club, should we just make our other daughter wait in the hall outside?"  The agent laughed.  She then "promoted" our younger daughter to Diamond.

This coming August, we're taking the daughters to Alaska on Quantum.  Booked three 1D balconies.  Younger daughter is married.  Older daughter bringing her boyfriend.  Son-i-law has been granted Diamond status.  Or...when we attend events, would some of you prefer we leave him out in the hall?  Other daughter's boyfriend is a Crown & Anchor member having taken multiple cruises with his parents when he was a child--but still isn't Diamond quite yet.  We understand that they don't have to be legally married--"significant others" can also get matching status if they are living at the same address (No reason to need to make things "official" just for a cruise).

Yes, I understand that acquiring Diamond status for the son-in-law and significant other adds to the numbers...but, seriously, it's not that big of a deal.  Not nearly as much of a numbers inflation as when they added the "reciprocity" thing foir RCCL/Celebrity.  Do you realize what THAT did to those "numbers"?  And, seriously, Royal Caribbean has never lost any money with us.  We are WELL into both Diamond Plus on RCCL and Elite Plus on Celebrity.  We've done countless long cruises and we've cruised several times in suites.  The 8 extra drinks per day for the two son-in-law/S.O. cost RCCL PENNIES a day.  Making OUR vacation more seamless and easy for us cruising as a FAMILY...that's priceless!

Yes, I understand all that, and don't necessarily disagree with you, but where do you draw the line? Right now, there is no line, it goes on forever. Anecdotal evidence says that once granted a status, D or D+ specifically, you never seem to lose it, and can, in turn, grant it to many others. Pretty sure there's even been evidence that Pinnacle from a spouse is never taken away if the Pinnacle spouse passes, and the Pinnacle status has been passed onto the spouse's new spouse. I believe that reported evidence says that the only status actually removed is Pinnacle from kids.

My idea for solving this is would be that everyone in the same family group gets the status of the highest earned status of a member of the group for that cruise. Be that Gold or D+. Pinnacle may be different, I'd have to think about that. Maybe everyone else just gets D+? 

Let's say you're D+ now, and your daughters are both D. In my plan, that would mean that your entire travel group, including SIL and daughter's BF would enjoy D+ status while they travelled with you. If your daughter and SIL traveled alone, they would both be D. 

If your oldest breaks up with her BF, and he goes on a cruise with his new GF, they would just be Gold or Platinum or whatever status he earned on his own.

Right now, if you get your daughter's BF Diamond status (which they will surely do as they reside at the same address), he would keep that status forever (unless he earns enough on his own to go D+ or above), and even grant that to his new GF or wife or whatever, and then their kids if they have any. It's pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

Under my plan, that could also apply to a situation we have coming up next year. My wife & I are D+. Her sister and BIL are possibly Platinum, maybe even just Gold. We are travelling together for a 2 week Panama Canal cruise next spring. My plan would would allow our whole group to enjoy our D+ status during that cruise.

Sure, the drinks and other things don't amount to much for RCL And in the grand scheme of things probably isn't even noticeable to RCLs bottom line. I completely agree that family groups travelling together should be able to stay together and not be split up by status. and I think that was the original intent to the policy. But there's a principle that just doesn't seem right when it's infinitely and permanently transferrable. If someone earns D+ while their kids are still under 18, that D+ status is inherited generation to generation forever. It's like a family trust fund or something. And lthere's no accounting for divorces or breakups.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

Sure, the drinks and other things don't amount to much for RCL And in the grand scheme of things probably isn't even noticeable to RCLs bottom line. I completely agree that family groups travelling together should be able to stay together and not be split up by status. and I think that was the original intent to the policy. But there's a principle that just doesn't seem right when it's infinitely and permanently transferrable. If someone earns D+ while their kids are still under 18, that D+ status is inherited generation to generation forever. It's like a family trust fund or something. And lthere's no accounting for divorces or breakups.

that is what I was getting at, when does it stop.  dating and marrying someone and then the points just flow to them.  All this for alcohol and some treats.   I think loyalty programs are getting out of hand.

The one and only thing I enjoyed on my Vision of the Seas is going to the Diamond lounge where I finally could get some dipped strawberries.

For those of us who do not drink alcohol or gamble, how about RCI giving better prices for room selections.  Even the 340 points has some limitations.  And no one should be bumped from a ship for a charter.  If a charter wants a ship, Take what is leftover after accounting for all the C/A folks.

Or handle charters before itineraries are put on sale for the public.  

I think the real reason for loyalty is to make folks keep coming back so they can acquire a status that is in a lot of ways rather boring unless you are a drinker.  And unfortunately I would like to throw up every time I hear folks say "OH NO I am loyal to royal and won't go on any other cruise line"  OMG that is what they want but in the end you are missing out on other wonderful ships that are out there and that includes CCL, DCL, and HAL (not just for old folks).    flame me but I want loyalty returned to me in the area of the price I pay.  Watered down drink ain't it for me.  

15 hours ago, graciekelli said:

His wife is a first time cruiser.  When they boarded, his card said "Diamond" her's did not.  They went up to the Diamond Lounge and spoke to the Loyalty Ambassador.  She updated my daughter-in-law's status to Diamond.

OP, specifically relating to this, once her status became Diamond onboard was she entitled to the 4 free drinks a day?

My son - who achieved D status by sailing with us - has just booked his first cruise with his wife who he recently married and will be applying to have her status matched

And to the naysayers his D status was a key factor in choosing RC, not least for his 4 free drinks a day and balcony discount. Let's welcome the new generation of cruisers instead of begrudging them 🙂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Yes, I understand all that, and don't necessarily disagree with you, but where do you draw the line? Right now, there is no line, it goes on forever. Anecdotal evidence says that once granted a status, D or D+ specifically, you never seem to lose it, and can, in turn, grant it to many others. Pretty sure there's even been evidence that Pinnacle from a spouse is never taken away if the Pinnacle spouse passes, and the Pinnacle status has been passed onto the spouse's new spouse. I believe that reported evidence says that the only status actually removed is Pinnacle from kids.

Kids are not conveyed Pinnacle status, only a spouse.  

I don't think problem is as extensive as some make it out to be.  There is likely a bell curve type distribution of kid status.  I suspect for the frequent Royal cruising family many kids have sailed multiple times and if they aren't Diamond on their own merit they are probably not that far away.  There will be the families on the far ends of the bell curve that will be exceptions but most fall in the middle.  

When your spouse doesn't have the same status there would be little motivation to book Royal as the first choice.  "Sorry honey, you can't come into the DL" isn't going to work well for newlyweds.  At that point they might as well consider all cruise lines to book.  The non-Diamond spouse wouldn't care less about silly CAS status.  "Let's book NCL, or XYZ cruise line".  

A loyalty program is supposed to motivate repeat business except it doesn't when you don't offer a status match for a newlywed couple.  By offering to match newlyweds it gives Royal an advantage and tilts the playing field towards Royal. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Every cruise that has a top tier event tell us how many are at each level.  On a typical cruise I've yet to see Diamond be the largest group of cruisers on board.  Pre-gold is always the largest.  Folks who have sailed Royal before is always the single largest group on board. 

For those that have sailed before and have a CAS level on a typical cruise the numbers never have Diamond as the largest tier.  When I used to track the numbers announced at top tier events I plugged them into a spreadsheet.  Averaged over 30 or 40 cruises the typical distribution I saw was gold at 43%, platinum at 19%, emerald at 9%, diamond at 18%, diamond plus at 10% and pinnacle at 1%. 

A president's cruise and other non-typical cruises like a transatlantic may deviate but those are relatively few cruises compared to the bulk of cruises such as the Florida 3/4 or 7 night cruises that dominate the industry.  

The issue of CAS status match is not the problem that some perceive it to be.  It certainly isn't a problem for Royal.   The loyalty program is doing what it is supposed to do - create repeat bookings.   

At the end of the day how many people are at X level has zero impact on my cruise.   

• Like 1