D+ Bogo Specialty Dining Benefit

Does the buy one, get one offer for specialty dining on the first two nights apply for cruise planner purchases during a sale, at a discounted price?  Or do I need to reserve on board and pay regular price for this offer?

2 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Does the buy one, get one offer for specialty dining on the first two nights apply for cruise planner purchases during a sale, at a discounted price?  Or do I need to reserve on board and pay regular price for this offer?

Results are mixed. Can be either answer you posted above. Some got to keep their discounted rate, some were cancelled and rebooked at full price for the first night.

There doesnt seem to be a cut and dried rule. Or what can be matched. I'm going to try in sept and booked night 2. I know for me either is ok. Whatever they say I'm good with. I am pre booked. 

43 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Only on board.  You cannot apply it to cruise planner purchases.  Some have had success paying for on on the cruise planner and then using the coupon on bard while for others they cancel the booking made once on bo\ard and recharge you at the on board prices.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Only on board.  You cannot apply it to cruise planner purchases.  Some have had success paying for on on the cruise planner and then using the coupon on bard while for others they cancel the booking made once on bo\ard and recharge you at the on board prices.

Seems then you have nothing to lose right.  Reserve the the restaurant  and time you want on day 1 or 2 for 1 person on your cruise planner at the reduced rate, show up with 2 persons. They have the table reserved for 1 person but can easily add the second place setting to that 2 person table, since there are no 1 person tables.

Use your B1G1F coupon if allowed at reduced cruise planner price , if not they cancel your original reservation for 1 person and  charge you for 1 onboard price, other dinner is free.

This way I'm assured getting the time and restaurant we want. Why feel the need to rush and go there on boarding day.

Correct?

Edited by Jimbo

Last time I booked ahead and used the BOGO, I booked Giovanni’s for just myself on night 1 and Chops on night two for my wife. Giovanni’s cancelled and charged onboard price and Chops did not. So it may even vary on the same ship. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Seems then you have nothing to lose right.  Reserve the the restaurant  and time you want on day 1 or 2 for 1 person on your cruise planner at the reduced rate, show up with 2 persons. They have the table reserved for 1 person but can easily add the second place setting to that 2 person table, since there are no 1 person tables.

Use your B1G1F coupon if allowed at reduced cruise planner price , if not they cancel your original reservation for 1 person and  charge you for 1 onboard price, other dinner is free.

This way I'm assured getting the time and restaurant we want. Why feel the need to rush and go there on boarding day.

Correct?

Correct 

• Thanks 1

I have always paid for one beforehand on the planner, then told them on board 2 will be dining using my BOGO.   As said beforehand, there are no tables for one. 
However, if they would make a fuss I would tell them to cancel the reservation and forget it.   They never have. 
A zero bill presented at the end of the meal. 

• Like 1

If I were to do this as a solo I wonder if I should book and pay for both night 1 and night 2 ??  Then tell them on night 2 that I am using my BOGO and get credited?

Dan and I did this several times years ago, sometimes it worked and sometimes they cancelled and made us pay full fare.  At that time it seemed to confuse the staff so we stopped doing it

Edited by molly361

5 minutes ago, molly361 said:

If I were to do this as a solo I wonder if I should book and pay for both night 1 and night 2 ??  Then get credit for the second night?

Dan and I did this several times years ago, sometimes it worked and sometimes they cancelled and made us pay full fare.  At that time it seemed to confuse the staff so we stopped doing it

I'm trying the book night 1 or 2. And asking them to bogo almost anything, I'm not picky. Solo pays for first night and 2nd is free.

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm trying the book night 1 or 2. And asking them to bogo almost anything, I'm not picky. Solo pays for first night and 2nd is free.

I'm thinking that if you go ahead and book and pay for both night1 and 2 and then just tell them on the second night that you are using your BOGO then you should get credit for that dinner.  Also that way you already have your 2 nights booked and you don't have to worry about doing that as soon as you board.  It's been years since I have used my BOGO.  Have had the UDP or just didn't use them

• Like 2

Specialty dining has always had varied policies that are inconsistent.  That "tradition" continues to this day.

The D+ BOGO "enjoys" the influence of this tradition.

Back when specialty dining was more affordable I used the D+ BOGO every cruise.    Specialty Dining has become so popular that Royal can charge more so I don't use the D+ BOGO as much as I used to, yet in my reduced attempts to use the BOGO I find it still varies by ship.   

It never hurts to attempt anything just understand that one ship might squash your well thought out plans and you will have to adapt them.  Their ship, their rules.

On 5/20/2023 at 5:39 PM, molly361 said:

I'm thinking that if you go ahead and book and pay for both night1 and 2 and then just tell them on the second night that you are using your BOGO then you should get credit for that dinner.  Also that way you already have your 2 nights booked and you don't have to worry about doing that as soon as you board.  It's been years since I have used my BOGO.  Have had the UDP or just didn't use them

Not so sure that will work.  I travel solo and made reservations for Night 1 and Night 3 on board, Chops & Giovanni's respectively.  New to D+, I never thought the offer would apply to me since I travel solo.  The first night in Chops I saw that he charged me for two dinners, then applied the "coupon" for Bogo.  I hadn't said anything.  When I questioned the waiter, he said the coupon was available to me and that my dinner in Giovanni's was free and my reservation had been updated to reflect this.

And now I think I just answered my original question.  That discount is a "coupon" similar to the 50% off a glass of wine coupons.  The POS may not allow them to apply the discount to the lower priced/discounted pre-purchase.  

Edited by PWP-001

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

So you got charged 50% for your first night dinner?  I thought you had to pay for the 1st night dinner and then you would get night 2 (or 3 if they allow that on the ship you were on) for free

She posted she was charged for TWO dinners, then charged half and 2nd dinner at Giovanni was free.

No idea why charged for 2 dinners then charged half. ..that's a new one.

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

She posted she was charged for TWO dinners, then charged half and 2nd dinner at Giovanni was free.

No idea why charged for 2 dinners then charged half. ..that's a new one.

If you were referring to my post, and I'm a HE, I was charged for two dinners night #1 with 50% (BOGO) off, leaving me with a bill the first night for 1 full price dinner in Chop's.  Night 3 in Giovanni's was a zero check.

On 5/20/2023 at 4:25 PM, little britain said:

I have always paid for one beforehand on the planner, then told them on board 2 will be dining using my BOGO.   As said beforehand, there are no tables for one. 
However, if they would make a fuss I would tell them to cancel the reservation and forget it.   They never have. 
A zero bill presented at the end of the meal. 

They made a fuss when I tried it and I did tell them to cancel and forget it. That was Pre-Covid but I don’t think that makes a difference.