Sky Princess- Iceland Missed Ports

Rick&Jeannie

Just now, Buckeye10640 said:

Looks like the captan is chatting with a not so happy passenger!

It *does* look like that but actually he had just made some type of award/presentation to the gentleman on the left. I was not able to hear exactly what it was.

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Seyðisfjörður 

20230520_084657.jpg

Hi Rick, thanks for the updates. We are on the Island in July.  We have Seydisfjordur as as a docked port.  Was there another ship here?  Could the dock be too small for the Sky?  

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

It *does* look like that but actually he had just made some type of award/presentation to the gentleman on the left. I was not able to hear exactly what it was.

Looks like he is explaining stabilizers to me!  😆

We love Captain Marco!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, milolii said:

Hi Rick, thanks for the updates. We are on the Island in July.  We have Seydisfjordur as as a docked port.  Was there another ship here?  Could the dock be too small for the Sky?  

They have relatively small docks there, but they don't look big enough for a ship the size of the Sky. 

20 hours ago, nini said:

Thank you! We also book those which are refundable of the ship can't make if. There really are not a huge number of four companies in Iceland and 3 of our booked tours are pay on arrival and we had to make full payment with just one. So I am surprised at their predicament.

While researching for our July 2023 trip on the Island to Iceland, I found that with a true private  tour; meaning an entire vehicle and staff were rented by one group;  cancellation policies and penalties differ.  I also found this true in other countries (Baltic ports, UK&Ireland) in 2022.  So I’m not surprised at the posters comments.

OTOH,  We were able reserved the non Princess tours which are open to all (but only book about 15-18 people).  These tours filled up within two to three days of release in January.  A good deal of those numbers are from the roll call.  

I found about 10 companies offering tours.  The one exception was Seydisfjordur,  with fewer options. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

They have relatively small docks there, but they don't look big enough for a ship the size of the Sky. 

Yea, maybe that’s it. We only have Grundarfjoudur as a tender.

Edited by milolii

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I believe that is a Danish Coast Guard chopper.  

Definitely UK Coastguard chopper. It is based  in our islands and the passenger was landed at the local hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

The only capable dock in Seydisfjorour is the ferry dock from Smyril Line.
Once per week the MS Norröna car ferry is in port, arriving from Hirtshals, Denmark.

0329_IMG_8001.thumb.jpg.30a5516a3233f17df893f03c19459209.jpgMS Norröna, Seydisfjorour

It is a pretty small dock, I wonder if the Island Princess would fit in length. But it looks like.
No chance for a royal class ship tho. The Sky Princess is 164 m longer than the ship you see.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, himan said:

Definitely UK Coastguard chopper. It is based  in our islands and the passenger was landed at the local hospital.

Yes, this is where Sky Princess turned for the Medevac.

Screenshot2023-05-2523_52_44.thumb.png.e92de72709d07580605253a95912cb8a.png

So most likely, the helicopter came from the Shetland Islands.

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I believe that is a Danish Coast Guard chopper.  

Pretty sure it's from the UK. See the radio call sign lettering on the nose? image.png.345c6d6406d002e0d5e88f7f07e07e38.png

It starts with a G and that letter is reserved for the United Kingdom.

4 hours ago, milolii said:

While researching for our July 2023 trip on the Island to Iceland, I found that with a true private  tour; meaning an entire vehicle and staff were rented by one group;  cancellation policies and penalties differ.  I also found this true in other countries (Baltic ports, UK&Ireland) in 2022.  So I’m not surprised at the posters comments.

OTOH,  We were able reserved the non Princess tours which are open to all (but only book about 15-18 people).  These tours filled up within two to three days of release in January.  A good deal of those numbers are from the roll call.  

I found about 10 companies offering tours.  The one exception was Seydisfjordur,  with fewer options. 

I had a heck of a time with the port of Grundarfjaroarbaer +spelling?!?!), however we did find am excursion I think we will enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Well, eventually all cruises come to an end. This is the last day (sea day) before returning to Southampton tomorrow. This has definitely been an eventful trip! Missed ports, 2 medical evacuations (1 by boat, 1 by helicopter), visiting a port that had originally been canceled, visiting a port that had *not* been scheduled, at least 2 onboard medical calls... Wow!

I know some people are disappointed,  some really upset...and some have just "gone with the flow". While we were disappointed to miss Reykjavik since we've never been there, that just means we have to book another cruise to "make up for it"! I was surprised/glad that we received 20% FCC compensation...Princess certainly did not have to do that but it sure was nice to get. Some people have indicated that 20% wasn't enough.  I just applied it to an upcoming cruise that is not yet fully paid (actually,  a transatlantic...and on the Sky!)

While I did not start this thread as a "Live From" topic...it just kinda morphed into one. I hope everyone has enjoyed following along our adventure! I thought it was a good cruise. We saw some beautiful scenic sights in both Norway and Iceland. I hope our "tales of woe" regarding weather and missed ports does not dissuade anyone from considering this itinerary. After all, any day on a ship is better than being stuck at home!  

Happy cruising!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the updates and pictures, nice to see whats going on! Looking forward to next week now.

I get everyone has different ideas on 'compensation' but surely 20% is very generous considering it as nothing to do with Princess that the issues (weather) occured.
Whilst it must be extremely frustrating not getting somewhere you had planned you are still on a luxury cruise ship with basically unlimited food and drink, I have seen some comments on twitter such as "never going with Princess again" but I seriously question that logic when any cruise line would do the same thing, guess its a case of can't please everyone all the time and some people wouldn't be happy with 100% back.

Glad you personally still had a good time!

• Like 3

This post was roller coaster of emotions 😂 

thanks for taking us along with you on your interesting journey, highs & lows

LOVE the pictures you shared too

side note: I’m happy you would go back despite all the events of the last week.

I’ve spent 4 nights in Reykjavik with my husband. I think the city is worth a repeat trip if you can. Quirky, friendly & beautiful

Ok, no one NEEDS an excuse to cruise again but ‘I want to get to Reykjavik’ is a brilliant justification for another one 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

After all, any day on a ship is better than being stuck at home!  

Happy cruising!

Could not agree any more with you! I hope to do a live thread on the midnight summer and solstice cruise on the Sky leaving in 3 weeks. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Could not agree any more with you! I hope to do a live thread on the midnight summer and solstice cruise on the Sky leaving in 3 weeks. 

brilliant!!

I’m doing a 2 week midnight sun cruise on the sky in august. I can’t wait to follow along your solstice cruise. It’s almost the same itinary 😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

brilliant!!

I’m doing a 2 week midnight sun cruise on the sky in august. I can’t wait to follow along your solstice cruise. It’s almost the same itinary 😃

😊 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, eventually all cruises come to an end. This is the last day (sea day) before returning to Southampton tomorrow. This has definitely been an eventful trip! Missed ports, 2 medical evacuations (1 by boat, 1 by helicopter), visiting a port that had originally been canceled, visiting a port that had *not* been scheduled, at least 2 onboard medical calls... Wow!

I know some people are disappointed,  some really upset...and some have just "gone with the flow". While we were disappointed to miss Reykjavik since we've never been there, that just means we have to book another cruise to "make up for it"! I was surprised/glad that we received 20% FCC compensation...Princess certainly did not have to do that but it sure was nice to get. Some people have indicated that 20% wasn't enough.  I just applied it to an upcoming cruise that is not yet fully paid (actually,  a transatlantic...and on the Sky!)

While I did not start this thread as a "Live From" topic...it just kinda morphed into one. I hope everyone has enjoyed following along our adventure! I thought it was a good cruise. We saw some beautiful scenic sights in both Norway and Iceland. I hope our "tales of woe" regarding weather and missed ports does not dissuade anyone from considering this itinerary. After all, any day on a ship is better than being stuck at home!  

Happy cruising!

we very much enjoyed your posts and GREAT attitude! By chance is your. TA on the Sky in March  2024? we have that booked...thanks again!

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Happy cruising!

Hey @Rick&Jeannie! Thanks for starting this unintentional impromptu live thread for all of us to collectively vent and bond about our experience that we can all share onboard Sky! It was a cruise filled with some dashed hopes but still many beautiful memories, and I fully agreed with your perspective on not holding any of the challenges against anybody. You're so right that this gives us another wonderful reason to come right back. Hope you have an amazing rest of your sea day and have a safe trip home! 

• Like 2

Just now, Coral said:

This was one of my least favorite ports in Norway. It was pretty sailing in but very little to do here.

We did not originally have an excursion booked for this port but we added a bus tour last minute. It was interesting...mainly we didn't want to just sit on the boat!

• Like 1