If you carry on wine do you have to take an opener with you?

Have read here that you can carry on two bottles of wine per stateroom. Do you carry on the wine opener also? Is there a specific type that you can get through security in a carry on bag? Assume you could carry a corkscrew in checked baggage. When we booked they had a promotion that we got a free bottle in the room. Will there already be an opener there and we won't need to bring.

I am not a wine drinker, but am going with my daughter who is and thought we would each carry a bottle, just trying to be sure we can open them once onboard.

13 minutes ago, vswan said:

Have read here that you can carry on two bottles of wine per stateroom. Do you carry on the wine opener also? Is there a specific type that you can get through security in a carry on bag? Assume you could carry a corkscrew in checked baggage. When we booked they had a promotion that we got a free bottle in the room. Will there already be an opener there and we won't need to bring.

I am not a wine drinker, but am going with my daughter who is and thought we would each carry a bottle, just trying to be sure we can open them once onboard.

I always carry a corkscrew in our checked luggage. It also has a 1.25" knife style foil cutter. No issues. 

• Like 3

I'm not fighting with the cheapie opener that they provide to you, lol.  We do bring our own. I have asked a bartender to open a bottle before without a corkage fee when I forgot this past january. 

• Like 1

We bring our own...in check-in luggage. It folds, it's compact, lightweight and easy to use. Also doubles as a beer bottle opener and foil cutter.

Cheers!

20230530_090627.jpg

20230530_090505.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, njkruzer said:

The cabin attendant will also bring you wine glasses.  Dh has one the openers they give you in his backpack.  Not great but works. 

Going to assume since a bottle of wine is part of the promo we booked that there will be glasses. Probably an opener too, but would rather have one along than have to figure out how to open.

6 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We bring our own...in check-in luggage. It folds, it's compact, lightweight and easy to use. Also doubles as a beer bottle opener and foil cutter.

Cheers!

20230530_090627.jpg

20230530_090505.jpg

Best design out there. It is the type that a wine steward typically uses, and we always carry two in our cruise luggage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Best design out there. It is the type that a wine steward typically uses, and we always carry two in our cruise luggage.

I've given them out to a few bartenders. They appreciate the compact design.

I also carry on my "waiter's key" style opener.  Used to pack it in my checked luggage if our cruise involved a flight, but have since simply removed the little knife on the waiter's key.  I like to open a bottle when we get to our cabin before our checked bags arrive.  That "oh my...how dangerous tiny knife 😱" is a favorite excuse for TSA to take it away from you.  (Do they have a community EBay thing going with those? 😮😉).  

This last flight to Hawaii I took the key out of the carry on bag and placed it in the bin separately.  The agent actually flagged me down and thanked me, so they did not have to search for it and dig it out to discover it did not have a knife.  😄  And yes, they don't take that away from me now.  

Oh, and BTW.....mine is pink.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 4

I prefer the Winged Corkscrew to what they give you

When we do bring wine, I put the corkscrew in the wine carrier, my purse, or my carry-on

Edit to add... They have never left a corkscrew in my room when they have left me wine from my TA, Welcome Gift or any other reason 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:17 AM, nimbex1970 said:

I'm not fighting with the cheapie opener that they provide to you, lol.  We do bring our own. I have asked a bartender to open a bottle before without a corkage fee when I forgot this past january. 

Agree. I'd end up knocking myself out or giving myself a blackeye pulling out the cork. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Cheers!

20230530_090627.jpg

20230530_090505.jpg

We have one nearly identical.  It was flagged during the security check-in at Bayonne before getting on the Anthem in March.  They just asked to check my backpack, and if there was a swiss army knife or something similar in my bag.  I told them it was just a wine bottle opener, and I opened my bag and showed it to them and they were perfectly fine with it and I went on my way onto the ship with it.

• Like 2

Just now, steveru621 said:

NO, never had a corkscrew in our cabin.

Hit and miss, but I have received several of those awful plastic cork screws, along with the comped wine and a couple of glasses.  But also hit and miss if we get our wine at all right away (or the correct type) or any glasses at all.  😕

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Here's one...

20230531_142718.jpg

20230531_142749.jpg

THANK YOU!  This is the one that I can never work with!  So I bring my own, I once pushed the cork IN because I had lost the battle after it broke in half, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nimbex1970 said:

THANK YOU!  This is the one that I can never work with!  So I bring my own, I once pushed the cork IN because I had lost the battle after it broke in half, lol

Oh my...same here! :classic_biggrin:

On 5/31/2023 at 11:03 AM, The Fun Researcher said:

We have one nearly identical.  It was flagged during the security check-in at Bayonne before getting on the Anthem in March.  They just asked to check my backpack, and if there was a swiss army knife or something similar in my bag.  I told them it was just a wine bottle opener, and I opened my bag and showed it to them and they were perfectly fine with it and I went on my way onto the ship with it.

I always bring my hair-cutting scissors with me in my purse... They have a small enough blade that they do fit the requirements. The first few times they flagged it and I had to show them. Now I have them out and exposed when they go through the scanner and I haven't been questioned since 

• Like 1