Considering a Grand Suite, 1BR, on the Brilliance ot Seas. Thoughts?

We generally book a generic mini-suite or something about that category on Celebrity, HAL, Princess and NCL. We already have a Spacious Balcony Cabin(2B) booked on the Brilliance for fall 2024. However, I am now wondering about upgrading to a category GS. The videos I have viewed indicate it's a much larger and nicer cabin with a bathtub which my wife prefers. Negatives are those GS cabins are all under the Lido deck. Noise could be an issue perhaps?

I am not familiar with what amenities come with a GS cabin. Royalcaribbean.com didn't give me the information I need to make my decision. For instance, many videos I saw indicated one could order diner (etc) from the MDR and have it delivered to the cabin. Also, the larger GS cabin appeared to have a place to eat inside in addition to out on the balcony. We're not interested in a butler or anything like that, but are there are other perks included with a GS such as beverage included in the mini-bar? Are there special "suite only" dining areas like Celebrity offers?

Thanks for your thoughts, you experienced RCI sailors. 😎

Doug

I'm sure the suite experts can do a link to the amenities.  No drinks included in a GS from the mini fridge. However there is a happy hour in a suite lounge with finger food and drinks for 3 hours. There is no butler or genie on this class of ships. Priority boarding of course. A set aside place at shows for seating. 

Personally I'd only upgrade on a oasis class with ck for dining. You can eat breakfast at chops or similar but there isnt a ck. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I'm sure the suite experts can do a link to the amenities.  No drinks included in a GS from the mini fridge. However there is a happy hour in a suite lounge with finger food and drinks for 3 hours. There is no butler or genie on this class of ships. Priority boarding of course. A set aside place at shows for seating. 

Personally I'd only upgrade on a oasis class with ck for dining. You can eat breakfast at chops or similar but there isnt a ck. 

What is a "ck"?

1 minute ago, PaperSniper4 said:

We generally book a generic mini-suite or something about that category on Celebrity, HAL, Princess and NCL. We already have a Spacious Balcony Cabin(2B) booked on the Brilliance for fall 2024. However, I am now wondering about upgrading to a category GS. The videos I have viewed indicate it's a much larger and nicer cabin with a bathtub which my wife prefers. Negatives are those GS cabins are all under the Lido deck. Noise could be an issue perhaps?

I am not familiar with what amenities come with a GS cabin. Royalcaribbean.com didn't give me the information I need to make my decision. For instance, many videos I saw indicated one could order diner (etc) from the MDR and have it delivered to the cabin. Also, the larger GS cabin appeared to have a place to eat inside in addition to out on the balcony. We're not interested in a butler or anything like that, but are there are other perks included with a GS such as beverage included in the mini-bar? Are there special "suite only" dining areas like Celebrity offers?

Thanks for your thoughts, you experienced RCI sailors. 😎

Doug

We usually sail in Grand Suites or Owners Suites on that class of ship, and there are both plusses and minuses. On the plus side, the GS cabin is larger than a junior suite and while the bathroom is also larger, both have about the same size bath tub. The balcony furniture in a GS is much better than a JS, and when we order room service from the MDR (you can order whatever you'd like off of the main menu any time the MDR is open), we usually eat out on the balcony since there is no dining table in the cabin or move the table indoors. No included beverages, but you will have access to one of the specialty restaurants for breakfast every day.

The downside is that the design of that class of ship means that the pool deck above you shades the entire balcony and if you like looking up at the sky, you are out of luck. We have never experienced any noise problems from being under the pool deck, but then we always choose a GS or OS near the elevator banks where there really isn't a lot of "Pool" noise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've never had issues with above deck noise in a GS, other than the DJ occasionally.  But no foot traffic noise.

Thanks, that is good to know. Noise line scraping chairs, shows, etc is something we always try to avoid.

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

We usually sail in Grand Suites or Owners Suites on that class of ship, and there are both plusses and minuses. On the plus side, the GS cabin is larger than a junior suite and while the bathroom is also larger, both have about the same size bath tub. The balcony furniture in a GS is much better than a JS, and when we order room service from the MDR (you can order whatever you'd like off of the main menu any time the MDR is open), we usually eat out on the balcony since there is no dining table in the cabin or move the table indoors. No included beverages, but you will have access to one of the specialty restaurants for breakfast every day.

The downside is that the design of that class of ship means that the pool deck above you shades the entire balcony and if you like looking up at the sky, you are out of luck. We have never experienced any noise problems from being under the pool deck, but then we always choose a GS or OS near the elevator banks where there really isn't a lot of "Pool" noise.

Super, thanks, that addresses many of our concerns. Yeah, I know what you mean about the lack of sky/sun. Usually a slight negative, but then again often a positive.

1 minute ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Super, thanks, that addresses many of our concerns. Yeah, I know what you mean about the lack of sky/sun. Usually a slight negative, but then again often a positive.

The other positive (at least for us) is that we can sail in a GS for about half what it would cost us to sail in a GS on an Oasis class ship.

• Like 2

Idk if you care but there is a continental breakfast in the suite lounge with a coffee machine for 4 kinds of coffee, latte or whatever. Maybe more than 4 kinds. Regular or caffeine free. ..though I think also the hot breakfast usually in chops for suites. The suite concierge is there and can help you schedule stuff. 

I also think room service is included which you asked about, eating in your cabin. Not drinks. 

We love the Radiance class ships grand suites and the smaller suite lounge. The ships grand suites don't have a couple of things that the new ships have. The bathroom night lights don't exist, and there are fewer 110 volt outlets. We take a simple 3 outlet two prong plug in to provide more outlets as needed. A plus is that the balcony doors when locked, cannot be opened from the outside, but if you have a kid or prankster, they can lock you outside.  We leave the curtains partially open for the nighttime bathroom trips, as well as the room steward can see if we are on the balcony so they don't inadvertently lock us outside.

7 minutes ago, EdandMary said:

We love the Radiance class ships grand suites and the smaller suite lounge. The ships grand suites don't have a couple of things that the new ships have. The bathroom night lights don't exist, and there are fewer 110 volt outlets. We take a simple 3 outlet two prong plug in to provide more outlets as needed. A plus is that the balcony doors when locked, cannot be opened from the outside, but if you have a kid or prankster, they can lock you outside.  We leave the curtains partially open for the nighttime bathroom trips, as well as the room steward can see if we are on the balcony so they don't inadvertently lock us outside.

We pack one of these and mount it (magnetized) above the bathroom door. Works like a charm.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

My one complaint about the GS on the Radiance class is how far the TV is from the bed. Hate that it's in the corner by the couch...not great viewing from there either. We usually sail in OS on this class. And ... yes... we do watch movies at night on our firestick. We're no longer fans of night activities onboard usually.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ashland said:

My one complaint about the GS on the Radiance class is how far the TV is from the bed. Hate that it's in the corner by the couch...not great viewing from there either. We usually sail in OS on this class. And ... yes... we do watch movies at night on our firestick. We're no longer fans of night activities onboard usually.

How do you feel about the OS balcony on the Radiance class? We always book a GS but have thought about upgrading to an OS however, the balconies look so narrow. How does the balcony compare to a GS balcony?

Edited by CruisinNole

29 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

How do you feel about the OS balcony on the Radiance class? We always book a GS but have thought about upgrading to an OS however, the balconies look so narrow. How does the balcony compare to a GS balcony?

The balconies are not any wider, but they are a bit longer. We love the OS layout, especially the fact that the TV is part of the dividing wall between the bedroom and the living area and rotates so you can watch it whether you are in bed or lounging on the sofa. Also like that there are both a jacuzzi tub and a shower in the bathroom. Haven't figured out how to use the Bidet yet however.😇

• Like 4

6 hours ago, George C said:

Highly recommend room 1600 it is a corner aft grand suite we loved it, as already said brilliance doesn’t have same perks as larger classes .

Funny you mention that cabin. I just saw it 'way aft and we do like aft balconies.

We much prefer the smaller, older ships of any cruise line. We have only sailed on a couple of those gigantic mega-ships and not much impressed us. It felt like being in a huge hotel instead of a ship at sea. Nice hotel, but still, we like cruising!😎

Doug

• Like 3

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

The balconies are not any wider, but they are a bit longer. We love the OS layout, especially the fact that the TV is part of the dividing wall between the bedroom and the living area and rotates so you can watch it whether you are in bed or lounging on the sofa. Also like that there are both a jacuzzi tub and a shower in the bathroom. Haven't figured out how to use the Bidet yet however.😇

Agree completely !! Love the OS !!!

Another question - I've read about the concierge lounge.....something about self-service bar. Am I correct that one can pour himself a scotch or make a martini? Are all the fixings there for a martini, like olives, vermouth, etc. And of course, is that included if one is booked in a Grand Suite cabin or higher category?

15 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Another question - I've read about the concierge lounge.....something about self-service bar. Am I correct that one can pour himself a scotch or make a martini? Are all the fixings there for a martini, like olives, vermouth, etc. And of course, is that included if one is booked in a Grand Suite cabin or higher category?

No self service bar.  There is a happy hour each evening from about 5 to 8, but they make the drinks. 

16 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I've never seen this in any concierge/suite lounge

4 hours ago, rockmom said:

No self service bar.  There is a happy hour each evening from about 5 to 8, but they make the drinks. 

Is there a charge? Or are those drinks complimentary for GS and above guests?

Doug