Can you get cash from Onboard Credit?

artvlay

If Non-Refundable you may be able to transfer some from your room to  a Slot Machines or to obtain Chips that can only be redeemed for the amount won using the chips.   Other than that you can not withdraw cash.  

If Refundable they allow you to withdraw the Refundable OBC the day before the end of the cruise.

10 hours ago, artvlay said:

I have a lot of OBC and wanted to know the current policy as to getting cash from this?

Last cruise aboard Equinox we had $250 in non refundable from Celebrity.  Towards the end of the cruise we went to the Roulette table with $250 and just placed bets of equal value on Red and Black (wife did the red, I did Black) and after a while converted the non-cash chips into cash chips. Then back to the cashier desk and received $240 in cash. We lost once 00 came up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

Agree with trying to use the slot machines.  It depends on the ship but you should be able to charge to your room which offsets the OBC and then just cash out the ticket.  

OK, we did this on our last cruise (TA in suite, nowhere to spend all that OBC). You transfer money from room to slot machine, they will show you how but it's pretty intuitive. Then play that machine. Even one spin. Then cash out the machine - you will get all the cash you put on plus/minus your winnings.

ONE CAVEAT: If you don't play 10-20% of the value you transferred (play, not lose), they will lock you out of doing this again for a few days. In our case it was three days. Solution - do it near the end of the cruise and transfer all the remaining OBC to the machine. Or have a little fun with the slots. We are non gamblers, but I found this process alarmingly fun 😄

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

OK, we did this on our last cruise (TA in suite, nowhere to spend all that OBC). You transfer money from room to slot machine, they will show you how but it's pretty intuitive. Then play that machine. Even one spin. Then cash out the machine - you will get all the cash you put on plus/minus your winnings.

ONE CAVEAT: If you don't play 10-20% of the value you transferred (play, not lose), they will lock you out of doing this again for a few days. In our case it was three days. Solution - do it near the end of the cruise and transfer all the remaining OBC to the machine. Or have a little fun with the slots. We are non gamblers, but I found this process alarmingly fun 😄

While on Silhouette this past March, it stated 'at least 50%' (not 10% - 20%) would be required to wager or you'd be locked out for the remainder of the sailing. I had always remembered the 10-20 and had not seen any 'requirements' stated on the machines before then. Guess they're catching on to what people are doing???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

One other Caveat, be aware of the machine you pick.  Somehow on the Apex, I ended up on an "auto spin"  machine.  I thought at first I had won something since it kept spinning by itself.  However, it was just eating my OBC!  Luckily I hadn't transferred much but it ate almost half before I found thst Stop button.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mickey89 said:

Last cruise aboard Equinox we had $250 in non refundable from Celebrity.  Towards the end of the cruise we went to the Roulette table with $250 and just placed bets of equal value on Red and Black (wife did the red, I did Black) and after a while converted the non-cash chips into cash chips. Then back to the cashier desk and received $240 in cash. We lost once 00 came up.

Interesting.

If your OBC was non refundable you can only change it into promotional chips. Promotional Chips cannot be used on the "outside of the board" e.g. red/black, odds/evens.

Or else your OBC was refundable in which case you could have just cashed it in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Interesting.

If your OBC was non refundable you can only change it into promotional chips. Promotional Chips cannot be used on the "outside of the board" e.g. red/black, odds/evens.

I haven't heard this I know as an individual you can't bet red & black but would like to see where it says you can't bet outside.  We had promo chips from DorND and we bet them outside no problem

6 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

If you don't play 10-20% of the value you transferred (play, not lose), they will lock you out of doing this again for a few days.

Not in my experience. I generally put in $300-$400, play no more than $5, and repeat the next day. I believe it's ship-dependent, as I've heard there may be issues on the newer and revolutionized ships.

Edited by mahasamatman
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

I haven't heard this I know as an individual you can't bet red & black but would like to see where it says you can't bet outside.  We had promo chips from DorND and we bet them outside no problem

You couldn't on any of our last 4 cruises (all Silhouette) and it was enforced. What is DorND?

6 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

Not in my experience. I generally put in $300-$400, play no more than $5, and repeat the next day. I believe it's ship-dependent, as I've heard there may be issues on the newer and revolutionized ships.

Silhouette will block you usually for 48 hours.

6 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

I didn't get locked out on the revolutionized Summit, but I usually play about 50-75 at a time, and may in fact have played 10% most times.  Because I play small amounts and I'm usually in a suite, I play a lot.  A couple of times I'll win a little bit on the first or second spin and then I cash out.   So I don't know.

10 hours ago, the penguins said:

Interesting.

My obc was NON- Refundable. "Cannot use on Red/ Black" ..... well we did, strange hey!

2 hours ago, mickey89 said:

My obc was NON- Refundable. "Cannot use on Red/ Black" ..... well we did, strange hey!

Looking at your Post again you say you went straight to the table and put your bet on.

You can't do that on Silhouette - to use OBC you first have to go to the cashier who issues you with  "promotional" chips in cash denominations. You then exchange those for the coloured chips to play the game. You can't put the "promotional" chips directly onto the table. 

Either Equinox has a different system or you were just lucky.