Please help clarify wine choices in basic vs premium drink package

Lorenky

Hello. We are sailing on Celebrity Reflection next April. We got the all inclusive package which includes the classic drink package. For alcoholic beverages we primarily drink red wine, particularly cabernet sauvignon, pinot noir, merlot, red blends. We don’t need to buy a premium package to get high end wines but we do want a choice of decent reds. Is this offered in the dining areas and lounges within the classic package? I read some things that seemed to indicate red wine choices were very limited in the classic package and didn’t seem to include the common types of reds we enjoy? Thanks for the clarification. 

To be sure, it is quite early in the game to know what wines will be available on any ship during sailings in April 2024.

The best anyone can say or advise is what is available now...

Your best bet is to wait until January or February 2024 and check out the app to get an idea of which wines are listed for your package...

In fact, the better bet is ask during that time frame for someone to kindly post the, then, current wine list...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lorenky said:

We don’t need to buy a premium package to get high end wines but we do want a choice of decent reds.

There are no high end wines on the Premium package. Decoy cab is listed on that package certainty not high end and they often run out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

You can always pay the difference and pick a higher end wine.

True but they are still not that high end. For example Caymus will run you $25 per glass plus 20% gratuity on the difference.  Just not worth it IMO.

• Like 1

It greatly depends on what they have in stock which no one can even guess this far out.  But generally, the classic package just includes a handful of standard, pretty cheap reds.  If you are used to good red wine, you will be disappointed with the classic offerings. You can always just pay the difference for a better glass of wine (plus gratuity on that difference).  Your drink package also gives you a discount on bottles of wine.

As to where you can get wine, MDR probably has the most extensive wine list on the ship.  I think Cellar Masters has been removed from the Reflection but that also usually has a good wine list.  I'm not sure whether there is a good lounge/bar with the elimination of Cellar Masters that has a good wine selection but when you board I would ask at the various bars as their selection sometimes is different.

9 hours ago, Lorenky said:

We don’t need to buy a premium package to get high end wines but we do want a choice of decent reds.

The classic package gives you a $10 discount on ANY glass of wine available on the ship. You don't need to upgrade packages to get a better wine. Drink what you enjoy, regardless of your beverage package.

• Like 1

I have the classic package.  Currently sailing in Europe.  I have been pleased with the wines available.  The price point between the two isn’t significant.  I was prepared to pay the difference if I wasn’t happy and it wasn’t necessary 

• Thanks 1

I say to our wine server "I have the Classic Package and want to stay within this package".  I ask for recommendations and usually there are several to chose from.  On our last cruise in a specialty restaurant, the server told us  that the basic  Riesling wines  did not arrive and a nice substitution was provided at no additional cost. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lorenky said:

Thank you all. The best plan seems to be to stick with the classic package and just pay the difference if we want a different wine. Thanks so much. 

I think that's a good choice. If by day 3 you see that you're each spending more than $20+tip/day to drink the wines you like, you can upgrade then. This will save you money for the balance of your cruise and have the added benefit of making the bartender you upgrade with very happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HSBC said:

Any champagne is included in the classic drink package (all inclusive package)?

Thanks!

I can't imagine any champagne would be available at that price point. Perhaps a prosecco would or the Celebrity branded sparkling wine, which is not very good.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RichYak said:

I can't imagine any champagne would be available at that price point. Perhaps a prosecco would or the Celebrity branded sparkling wine, which is not very good.

Both a Prosecco and the Celebrity Vintages  are included in the Classic Package..  I suggest the Prosecco.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HSBC said:

Any champagne is included in the classic drink package (all inclusive package)?

Thanks!

While not Champagne on current cruises on Basic Package for Sparkling they have

Brut, Celebrity Vintages - Loire, France

Prosecco - Zonin, Italy

Zonin Rose -  - Zonin, Italy

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

While not Champagne on current cruises on Basic Package for Sparkling they have

Brut, Celebrity Vintages - Loire, France

Prosecco - Zonin, Italy

Zonin Rose -  - Zonin, Italy

How is the Zonin Rose -  - Zonin, Italy?

I have another question about the classic drinks package, which was part of our cruise booking. When I was going to print out my information today it shows a cruise credit of over $800 for a 7 day cruise. Does it normally show up as a large cruise credit before you board?

13 minutes ago, CMDE said:

I have another question about the classic drinks package, which was part of our cruise booking. When I was going to print out my information today it shows a cruise credit of over $800 for a 7 day cruise. Does it normally show up as a large cruise credit before you board?

No, it does not at all show up as a credit.

Check your invoice, it will show there and bring a copy (either print out or on phone) with you just in case there is a foul up...

As for the unexpected OBC, call your point of booking contact to find out where it is from. Could be a computer issue.

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

I am interested in this topic because we have always upgraded because we are primarily wine drinkers and the classic offerings were not wines we would enjoy. Also, our experience with X has been that once our Sommelier in MDR and also Cellar Masters found out we enjoyed nice wine they would often find something not on the menu. So the upgrade was totally worth it. Plus the premium spirits were much better.

Fast forward to the present. We have not sailed with X since 2020. (We disembarked Jan 28, 2020 - just under the wire!) We have a couple of cruises coming up Jan 2024 with classic beverage included. At first glance at the difference in offerings between classic and premium I assumed we would upgrade because there was almost nothing we would drink either wine or spirits included in the classic. Now with the option of simply paying the difference I’m not so sure. 

Question - Do you now have to sign for every drink whether it is included in your package or not? That was not our experience w X in the past. We sailed w HAL last January and even though we had upgraded ( complete waste of money btw) we still had to sign each and every time we ordered a drink, coffee, water etc. Hate to sound like a spoiled brat but I found that to be annoying. I felt it sort of ruined the carefree cruising experience. Plus it always prompted for a tip, so I always tipped even though I knew there was 18% included.  I think if we’re going to have to sign for each drink regardless of whether it is included we won’t bother to upgrade. 

Edited by LizzGo