OLife moves to "all in"

WESTEAST

If this thread is correct that the new pricing will be Simply More with or without air, and no other choices [e.g. cruise only] – Oceania has just become a clone of Regent.  I have sailed Oceania twice and was looking forward to more – and Regent zero times and not even checking their future itineraries.  This is a big fail for O.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, basenji56 said:
"It does not start until the 1 July so they do not have the pricing.  So, I cannot check all of them until 1 July at least this is what I was just told."

True

Jancruz1

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Woofa said:

Meh.  Looks like they are replacing Olife with a newer version of Olife.  Looks like we will be sticking with cruise only.  Main difference seems to be new version includes air.  We shall see if you can still take the credit and what the prices are but don't think this will really affect us. 

Woofa there is no cruise only

Jancruz1

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

If this thread is correct that the new pricing will be Simply More with or without air, and no other choices [e.g. cruise only] – Oceania has just become a clone of Regent.  I have sailed Oceania twice and was looking forward to more – and Regent zero times and not even checking their future itineraries.  This is a big fail for O.

It looks like you are right. We’re going to pay for ship tours whether we take them or not. It’ll be less costly if you’re booking some ship tours anyway. At least it won’t be for one tour in each port we’ll visit. Those who don’t drink will sacrifice even more. But at the end all that matters will be the total price of the cruise. Obviously, the price will be higher, but we’re yet to see by how much compared to ala carte prices we’re paying now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I doubt that even with the changes coming, Oceania fares will be a “clone of Regent”.

Regent will be priced considerably higher, and offer a higher level product…

Edited by bob brown

2 hours ago, DachshundsRule said:

Are there more details on drinks? "Champagne wine and more" doesn't say if it's still just at lunch and dinner, if more means expanded to hard liquor, what an upgraded package would cost...

I'm completely confused now. We're booked for 2025. Won't do any excursions. Picked Olife beverage package and was planning to upgrade since I like a glass of wine before dinner and husband prefers a scotch. If I stick with my Olife choice, will the "Champagne wine and more" not apply to me? Should I switch my Olife to OBC and buy the upgraded beverage package now? Help!

An upgraded package of liquor is $30 a day per person

Jancruz1

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Not showing 'cruise only' on the website I'm looking at, which provides fares in Canadian prices.

Nor on the version available to me in the UK, priced in sterling.

it’s going to be interesting to see how this affects Caribbean itineraries, as I am sure I don’t want to have to pay for tours I am certainly not going to take when I could just organise a taxi tour myself for a lot cheaper, something I think most do. 

Maybe this new promotion is as Basor said to attract new cruisers (something O needs to do with it’s aging demographic) but it does seem it will aggravate repeaters (of which as we know the majority of guests are). 

I am eagerly awaiting the new pricing offer from O on my ‘24 transatlantic. 

They are supposedly trying to attract more younger cruisers. (Good luck with that) I prefer to not use travel agents.  If you need the maritime commission intervention you then have to have your travel agent act as your legal representative as maritime represents passengers booked directly with the line.  Why should I add a third person into my travel plans and possible legal implications?  Travel agencies go out just like cruise lines.  Aside from that the reason this change bothers me more is the timing of my dates for cancellation before penalty.  I should be informed by the cruise line of choices or changes before a penalty phase of my booking kicks in.  I book cruise only do my own excursions and do not use the beverage packages.  My choice of on board credit has been used for gratitudes so it’s a wash.  I will continue with my booked Vista cruise but after that I’m done with O.

all I can say is wow....

nothing in this for us...we dont drink wine....we dont do tours. especially not in the carib.....have been to most places...

I can see how O wants to attract a different clientele. With that the atmosphere will change. More liquor consumption for sure. As long as the food is as good as it has been, we are still big fans of O. 

with 10 future cruises booked, I am not concerned...

• Like 1

@tigerfan75its a shame he asked “elite travel agencies” who do not reflect their direct consumer.

O is not the same as Explora it’s closer to Viking who has a following base of River cruisers.  I don’t believe they read on board surveys and it’s obvious from this forum they didn’t bother to survey their present loyal customer.  Instead of direct customer input there was a meeting of all the business people saying what’s in it for me?  Shocking lack of insight.

• Like 4

Since none of these changes will affect my currently booked cruises ( contracts) that extend well into next year, I’m perfectly happy avoiding all this guesswork and waiting until 7/1 to see what happens. The new cruise releases don’t start until at least August for the new A ship. Plenty of time to do analysis before anything will be booked.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Ouch…big mistake. We don’t drink, will never book a ship’s tour, and use our own air.  If I wanted to pay for other peoples booz I have plenty of existing options. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

But you can still take the air credit I assume? It's just the "cruise only" will now include beverage package and excursion credit, but you will still have an option of cruise only or cruise with air? 

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But you can still take the air credit I assume? It's just the "cruise only" will now include beverage package and excursion credit, but you will still have an option of cruise only or cruise with air? 

This is how I understand it. "Simply More" is the new cruise only. The old ala carte pricing structure is sitting on the ocean floor.

Ostensibly, O is seeking to attract younger clientele. I can appreciate wanting to make it simpler, but hopefully the new marketing initiative won't be primarily a method to deliver disguised price increases. If it is, it may sink the line since loyal, repeat customers who are familiar with the extant pricing model will quickly discern the differences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

This is how I understand it. "Simply More" is the new cruise only. The old ala carte pricing structure is sitting on the ocean floor.

Ostensibly, O is seeking to attract younger clientele. I can appreciate wanting to make it simpler, but hopefully the new marketing initiative won't be primarily a method to deliver disguised price increases. If it is, it may sink the line since loyal, repeat customers who are familiar with the extant pricing model will quickly discern the differences. 

Well, now it all comes to pricing. While we don't drink and don't always like the ship tours, we booked three SS cruises because the prices were too good to pass. If O prices increase by 15-20%, they will become comparable to SB and SS. As much as I like O, there is no reason to book O if you can sail on SB or SS for almost the same price, have a larger cabin, more inclusions, unlimited black caviar, etc.

I'm sure O management is familiar with all the numbers, so lets hope the new prices will still be reasonable. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Well, now it all comes to pricing. While we don't drink and don't always like the ship tours, we booked three SS cruises because the prices were too good to pass. If O prices increase by 15-20%, they will become comparable to SB and SS. As much as I like O, there is no reason to book O if you can sail on SB or SS for almost the same price, have a larger cabin, more inclusions, unlimited black caviar, etc.

I'm sure O management is familiar with all the numbers, so lets hope the new prices will still be reasonable. 

We're the same with regard to alcohol and ship tours and since we fly business class on international flights, we have already looked closely at Regent (SB and SS don't appeal to us, each for different reasons). Regent still appears too formal for our preferences, which is why we gave the nod to O for our first cruise since the shutdowns (formerly only cruised with Viking River and Ocean but not likely again). 

The new prices should reveal whom O regards as its competition. This will be interesting. 

It's all about the value, value, value, and getting "free" credit for excursions I won't or can't use will make this a poor value choice for me.  I can see them wanting to make it simpler for people who are happy to let O organise everything for them, but I've been into my travel agent today and picked up a Windstar brochure.  I don't see O running out of drinks, but I do see them running out of excursion places.  What then for the free excursion credit?  It seems shortsighted to no longer allow cruise only.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SellaVee said:

It's all about the value, value, value, and getting "free" credit for excursions I won't or can't use will make this a poor value choice for me.  I can see them wanting to make it simpler for people who are happy to let O organise everything for them, but I've been into my travel agent today and picked up a Windstar brochure.  I don't see O running out of drinks, but I do see them running out of excursion places.  What then for the free excursion credit?  It seems shortsighted to no longer allow cruise only.

The money for excursions can be used for any excursions they have even a car and driver or a private excursion for the two of you..

I dont see how anyone that does anything on land cant use that excursion money

Jancruz1

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

The money for excursions can be used for any excursions they have even a car and driver or a private excursion for the two of you..

I dont see how anyone that does anything on land cant use that excursion money

Jancruz1

The trouble lies in that money spent on 3rd party excursions seems to go much farther than money spent on Oceania excursions.

...even after allowing for needed research and allowing extra return-time margins.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

I understand  if you book the cruise with the new program

It will be air + basic drinks package +  a credit to be used for shore excursions  on the cruise

or

no air  but still the basic drinks package & credit for excursions

The  unknown factor  is how much the cruise prices will increase   for the   "FREE"   included eatras

stay tuned   on July 1st  to find out the  real deal

Or if you are booked you get to keep  the current  option you have chosen

• Like 4