Shorts in the dinning room

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm bouncing off your comment because you're the only person who's mentioned NORTH Myrtle. 

Often when people say "Myrtle Beach", they really mean The Grand Strand, which includes North Myrtle, South Myrtle, Seaside, Cherry Grove, Holden, Garden City.  Those are nice places ... people around here think badly only of Myrtle itself; that is, the downtown area with the seedy bars near Ripley's and the Gay Dolphin.  Myrtle has been trying to bring up its reputation, but the areas around it have always been much nicer.  

We love Fripp Island!  Also next-door Hunting Island.  

I bought a pair of navy cords last fall.  Wore them constantly this winter.  

It's difficult to read your posts as you tend to answer or comment on different points of view.  It's much easier to see if you just answer one post at a time instead of multiple.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Good gawd. Yes. But for the formal nights step up & buy them some damn slacks. This is the opportunity for a teaching moment. They have to learn eventually and you're as good as anyone to help them along. Have you wondered what they'll be wearing on their prom night? Graduation? Help them out.  Make it fun. Take the grandkids shopping. I have a feeling both parties will enjoy it. 

And yes, as always I'm late to this party. 

And wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Good gawd. Yes. But for the formal nights step up & buy them some damn slacks. This is the opportunity for a teaching moment. They have to learn eventually and you're as good as anyone to help them along. Have you wondered what they'll be wearing on their prom night? Graduation? Help them out.  Make it fun. Take the grandkids shopping. I have a feeling both parties will enjoy it. 

And yes, as always I'm late to this party. 

I fail to see how what you wear while eating dinner while on vacation relates to prom night.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Of course you would. and besides, who are you? My post was addressed to the OP. Move along.

Damn, don't you hate those people that get involved in a discussion on a discussion board!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Yikes I really started something by asking a simple question. Some people can be rude.  My grandsons will have long pants.  Sometimes things happen, luggage not delivered, returning late from an excursion etc. We don’t want them miss the dining experience in the main dining room.  
Thank you all for your responses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Next up... a discussion of long haired old men in the MDR.

Why have we been wasting time on hairy legs…

What about men’s shirt buttons opened too far with hairy chests?  That would surely put someone off their food, especially if they are across the table from you, but at least they are wearing pants. 😀

2 hours ago, ETski said:

Sometimes things happen, luggage not delivered

The first night in the MDR was often a little more "forgiving" about what was worn due to circumstances such as luggage lost or not delivered. I think most mainstream lines will allow shorts first night under the circumstances or lost or not yet delivered luggage, even those those that typically do not allow shorts in the MDR for evening service. Speaking for American centric lines anyway, never been on Cunard or P&O. I'm just as comfortable in my Haggar dress slacks or golf slacks as I am in my Haggar golf shorts though, and actually prefer the slacks when indoors as I get a little cold indoors in shorts. Native Floridian who grew up in South Florida without A/C.

I always bring a few days worth of day and night wear in my carryon as a hedge against this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Ok, now you have to define "old" and "long-haired". Is it ok if it is worn in a ponytail? And are there exceptions for crazy laboratory scientists? 

Just asking for a friend.....

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

What about men’s shirt buttons opened too far with hairy chests?  That would surely put someone off their food, especially if they are across the table from you, but at least they are wearing pants. 😀

I wear short sleeved golf/polo style shirts. I don't shave my forearms. 😲

14 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Of course you would. and besides, who are you? My post was addressed to the OP. Move along.

Sorry if you are new to the internet, and don't understand how the interwebs work. 

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Send them to the Windjammer!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ETski said:

Yikes I really started something by asking a simple question. Some people can be rude.  My grandsons will have long pants.  Sometimes things happen, luggage not delivered, returning late from an excursion etc. We don’t want them miss the dining experience in the main dining room.  
Thank you all for your responses. 

At some point you'll learn what the various 'hot button' topics are in this cruise forum. Short pants in the MDR is definitely one of them (has been for years). 😉

Edited by KroozNut
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Bolding is mine..

How do you know? Do you make a habit of looking under the table to inspect what others are wearing?🤔

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

At some point you'll learn what the various 'hot button' topics are in this cruise forum. Short pants in the MDR is definitely one of them (has been for years). 😉

Isn’t that the truth.   In my numerous years of cruising, I’ve always worn dockers (don’t like being cold).  Now, after 17 pages and seeing how uptight some get over shorts….I believe I’ll start wearing them. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Isn’t that the truth.   In my numerous years of cruising, I’ve always worn dockers (don’t like being cold).  Now, after 17 pages and seeing how uptight some get over shorts….I believe I’ll start wearing them. 😅

Shorts are now okay.