Equinox vs Silhouette

md80fan

My family will be new to Celebrity and trying to decide between two different itineraries. I know they are of the same class of ship but any thoughts on Equinox vs Silhouette. Also being new to this class of ship for a balcony cabin is there a floor or floors that are better than others. Trying to avoid obstructed views and loud noises.Also In one review ( not sure how old it is) there was a mention of a show called rock baby rock on Silhouette that was mostly 1950 and 1960 music. I am curious if they still have this show as my parents might enjoy it. These would be 2024 in the Caribbean itineraries

Thanks

The only major difference is the presence of the hot glass show on Equinox vs the Porch and Lawn Club Grlll (two specialty restaurants) on Silhouette. If having a lot of dining options is important I would choose Silhouette, otherwise it's a coin flip. They are both great ships!

• Like 1

Agree with the above comment if you are in a standard cabin. However, there are more differences if you are in a suite.

Silhouette had a more comprehensive suite deck conversion. Equinox has a one deck suite area with nice sun beds and good service. Silhouette has a suite area over two decks and includes a bar, jacuzzi and a variety of seating areas. We have cruised both and found the Silhouette much better.

However, this additional deck area on Silhouette took over the basketball court so if your family party includes children Equinox may have an advantage…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Both are good ships.  As mentioned, there are different options for Specialty Dining on the Silhouette.  We enjoy the Lawn Club Grill.  However, Equinox had a partial refurbishment.  Some Veranda rooms were not upgraded.   We were fortunate to have our room upgraded in Aqua Class on Equinox and we could immediately see the difference from our previous cruise.

• Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, md80fan said:

.... Also being new to this class of ship for a balcony cabin is there a floor or floors that are better than others....

My personal preference is always decks 7 to 10 as they have cabins above and below.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, md80fan said:

My family will be new to Celebrity and trying to decide between two different itineraries. I know they are of the same class of ship but any thoughts on Equinox vs Silhouette. Also being new to this class of ship for a balcony cabin is there a floor or floors that are better than others. Trying to avoid obstructed views and loud noises.Also In one review ( not sure how old it is) there was a mention of a show called rock baby rock on Silhouette that was mostly 1950 and 1960 music. I am curious if they still have this show as my parents might enjoy it. These would be 2024 in the Caribbean itineraries

Thanks

The Equinox has not been upgraded, the Silhouette has.  Two additional restaurants, expanded 
Retreat area with Bar and Hot Tubs, etc.

26 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

How are the mattresses/beds on the Equinox?  I have herniated discs in my lower back and plates and screws in my cervical spine.

I was in a Sky suite and I really slept well...I have back issues (not like yours though) and it felt like one big comfortable pillow that didn't sag in the middle. Supporting, yet soft. Wish I had it at home...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, LMHSRN said:

The Equinox has not been upgraded, the Silhouette has.  Two additional restaurants, expanded 
Retreat area with Bar and Hot Tubs, etc.

That is not completely true.  Equinox was indeed upgraded partially.  The full revolutionizing could not be completed due to some kind of issue in the port area which specifics I don't recall.  

I sailed Equinox on a back to back this January.  Full disclosure - I was in a sky suite.  I thought the ship was in great shape.  She is, in fact, my favorite of all the Celebrity ships (I confess some of this is due to knowing several crew members from multiple sailings over the years).  Silhouette does have additional restaurants and their Retreat deck has the bar and hot tub as you mention, whereas Equinox does not (I personally don't care but some might).  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

How are the mattresses/beds on the Equinox?  I have herniated discs in my lower back and plates and screws in my cervical spine.

I was in a Sky Suite in January.  Absolutely loved the bed!  I also wish I could take it home with me. Firm enough to be supportive but soft enough to be comfortable.   I believe they had upgraded the mattresses in all cabins, but I cannot guarantee that for sure of my own knowledge.

• Like 1

We will be on Equinox in a few weeks in a regular balcony cabin.  We have sailed her before and enjoyed the hot glass blowing.  We've also sailed on Silhouette (before she was revolutionized) and we enjoyed having the Porch and Lawn Club Grill.  We were in a RS so it was nice having more specialty dining options because they are included in the fare.  As others have said, it's really a coin toss...they are both great ships.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

We sailed in Aqua and the mattresses were new and very comfortable.  Our cabin had new curtains, carpeting, comforter, new or re-upholstered furniture.  I believe all Concierge and up had the re-fresh.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, md80fan said:

Thanks

Unless you're in love with the idea of the ship having glass blowing or a two deck Retreat, you really make a bad choice with ships so I'd strongly factor in the cost and itineraries.  Assuming you want to explore the destinations, check out X's excursions, specifically read the descriptions of the highlight tours to get a very rough idea of what to do and if that's appealing

@mahdnc, mind sharing the excursions URL/trick?

For the shows, I'd normally say who knows in 2024, however, I would guess the show won't be on at all because I've been on 14 sailing since the restart, haven't heard of this show and they play the same shows on different ships with the exception of the E-Class as they have their own E-Class shows due their more advanced theatrics.  There are guest entertainers who could plays some oldies

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Unless you're in love with the idea of the ship having glass blowing or a two deck Retreat, you really make a bad choice with ships so I'd strongly factor in the cost and itineraries.  Assuming you want to explore the destinations, check out X's excursions, specifically read the descriptions of the highlight tours to get a very rough idea of what to do and if that's appealing

@mahdnc, mind sharing the excursions URL/trick?

This URL hack was introduced to me on this board by @NorthStarStateCruiser.

The hack involved taking a specific URL string and substituting the name of the ship and sailing date in the right format.  

Since then NSSC has built a spreadsheet tool that will create the link for you once you specify cruise line (Royal or Celebrity), ship, and sail date through a series of drop down boxes.  It is well done.  Here is the link to this tool: link

It is vitally important to make sure you are logged out of your Celebrity or Royal Caribbean online account for this to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Below is the Cruise Critic linc to get all the info on S-Class ships. You will be able to read the inputs and details from those who sailed on both the Equinox and Silhouette in addition to the other S-class ships. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/863876-s-class-cabin-information-compilation-please-do-not-post-cabin-questions-here/?do=getNewComment

Once you've signed on, just follow the directions below and you will be able to check ot the details of both the Equinox and Silhouette. 

Click here to Access the Spreadsheet.

I'm partial to the Silhouette. That might be because, years ago as we were leaving Sicily, we had the lifetime experience of watching Mt. Etna erupt from our 10th floor port side Balcony. 

As for cabins, the Equinox Concierge and AquaClass have new carpet and reupholstered couches.  All cabins (Aqua and below) received new curtains and bedding.  Silhouette had all cabins revolutionized. The bathrooms weren't re-done on the Equinox and I don't think on the Silhouette either. 

* I will note though that I've seen a picture of a non-revolutionized M-class ship cabin and it had the new gray / white square outline carpet like the Equinox...so who knows what they do from time to time on the ships with updates. 

The Lawn area.   Equinox has glass blowing there (watch and/or take a class $).  The Silhouette has the Lawn Club Grill in that spot ($ specialty restaurant).   The Silhouette had part of the grass removed back along the Sunset Bar area.   The Silhouette also has Porch as an additional Specialty Restaurant. 

The Retreat:  The Silhouette received more in the outdoor area.

Craft Social. Both ships had their wine bar area converted to Craft Social. Such a cute spot. 

As for cabin location, I prefer higher decks forward with no obstructions in or around the balcony, below or above.  The cabin category you choose will dictate certain areas of the ship.  Also, take a look at the S-class spreadsheet and you can search by cabin # (not all are there but a good amount) and see what the notes are.  You may find helpful information like if there is a crew access door near where you are looking or anything else that may cause noise.  

They are basically identical except for the things mentioned above.  The Grand Foyer and the steps are a little different and artwork throughout the ship.  😉

Shows may change from now until then but you can look on the app under both ships and see what the shows currently are.   The named production shows are likely the same on both ships.  The other entertainment will vary from ship to ship and even cruise to cruise based on guest entertainers / acts. 

I enjoyed both ships.  Silhouette pre-revolution in '16 in Concierge and the Equinox in AquaClass during '21.  

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

I've been on both the Equinox and the Silhouette.  I prefer the Silhouette because it has the Lawn Club Grill (make sure to have the warm chocolate chip cookie for dessert!) and the Porch (great lobster rolls!).  The Silhouette also has nice seating areas towards the back of the ship on the sides of the Sunset Bar. 

In response to the reply above where they said they had not heard of the show Rock baby rock on the Silhouette. I read that on this website under reviews. It looks like it is the official summary or review and written by Adam Coulter Cruise Crittic UK Executive Director. I do not know how to contact anybody from this website but maybe a suggestion would be to update these official reviews or summaries if things like these shows have not been around for several years. New people like myself come here looking for information about these ships to help choose our next cruise and then to find out the information is way out of date. 

16 hours ago, md80fan said:

Thanks

For us traditional balcony deck 7 mid ship is perfect. Cabins above and below. Great unobstructed views.

Have cruised Silhouette many times including 4 times since the restart and have never heard of the "rock baby rock" show.

We truly enjoy both ships.  If not in a suite, choose a cabin mid-ship with cabins above and below.  Try also a cabin that doesn't have an employee access staircase across from you.

We prefer the Silhouette and Reflection.  Have done glass blowing on other S class ships, but really enjoy the lawn club grill and porch which are only available on the Silhouette and Reflection.  

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 12:39 PM, md80fan said:

Thanks

We have sailed on both ships.  They are both awesome.  I prefer a concierge balcony in a prime location.  They are in perfect locations.  Try to avoid decks that are over public areas bars, lounges & dining rooms.  They could be noisy.  I also don’t like having the pool deck above me.