Behind the Scenes Tour

IUBryan

I had a bridge tour on the Zuiderdam a couple of weeks ago. When I asked they said they had stopped doing them, but then I got an invitation. Port day mid afternoon. Basic info, but fun to get a look around.

I miss my long transAtlantics on the Windstar in the 1990s when the bridge was always open. Had some great late-night discussions with the officer of the watch.

• Like 3

I have been checking on all of my cruises since my last 2019 Nieuw Statendam tour.  I was fortunate that my 2015 Oosterdam Behind the Scenes Tour allowed us into the engine room.  The cleanliness was amazing. 

I was told that the proceeds from these tours went into the crew fund so I hope these tours return soon.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0715.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0725.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0720.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0712.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have been checking on all of my cruises since my last 2019 Nieuw Statendam tour.  I was fortunate that my 2015 Oosterdam Behind the Scenes Tour allowed us into the engine room.  The cleanliness was amazing. 

I was told that the proceeds from these tours went into the crew fund so I hope these tours return soon.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0715.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0725.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0720.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0712.jpg

WOW! I've done BTS on Zuiderdam and QM2, and both times we saw the engine control room but not the engine room itself. Cunard didn't allow photos, I don't know why. 

On the bridge portion of the tours, it was interesting to see that the floor on each side of bridge are clear glass.  This clear view down the side of the ship allows a crew member, using a small knob, to inch such a large vessel sideways to the dock.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/hal-ms-oosterdam-behind-the-scenes-tour/img_0786.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have been checking on all of my cruises since my last 2019 Nieuw Statendam tour.  I was fortunate that my 2015 Oosterdam Behind the Scenes Tour allowed us into the engine room. 

What??  Seriously???  I've been trying to get into the engine spaces for about 14 years now! 

Retired now, but was an engineer -- so I'd cut my right arm off at the ankle for the opportunity to see the big diesels.  Every time I board a ship I plead with any Engineering officer (black stripes on the epaulets) that I encounter but the answer is always no.  And yes, I've paid for the "Behind the Scenes" tours in the past on Eurodam but we only toured the engine control room.  Guess I've just been on the wrong ships at the wrong time. 😢😢😢

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

What??  Seriously???  I've been trying to get into the engine spaces for about 14 years now! 

Retired now, but was an engineer -- so I'd cut my right arm off at the ankle for the opportunity to see the big diesels.  Every time I board a ship I plead with any Engineering officer (black stripes on the epaulets) that I encounter but the answer is always no.  And yes, I've paid for the "Behind the Scenes" tours in the past on Eurodam but we only toured the engine control room.  Guess I've just been on the wrong ships at the wrong time. 😢😢😢

Our Engineering officer guide was quite proud of and more than willing to discuss every aisle and level under his purview.  There were quite a few ladders through narrow openings moving down from level to level.  A bit noisy.  Surprisingly, we saw only one crew member in white coveralls during the engine room tour and only one dirty rag. 

It would be interesting to know if my experience was a "once in a lifetime" or did previous tours have the same engine room experience.  Probably stopped engine room tours for safety reasons:  all ladders did not have handraiils and noise.

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

It would be interesting to know if my experience was a "once in a lifetime" or did previous tours have the same engine room experience.  Probably stopped engine room tours for safety reasons:  all ladders did not have handraiils and noise.

Even in 2015, this would be a violation of the ship's ISPS Plan (International Ship and Port Security), where even 95% of crew are not allowed in engineering spaces for security reasons.  The insurance companies also frown on these due to safety measures, as this also violates the ISM (International Safety Management) Code, which requires certain mandated PPE (Personal Protective Equipment, like hard toed shoes, safety glasses, etc) for everyone in the engineering space, regardless of why they are there (like a tour) or who they are (taking a tour).

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Even in 2015, this would be a violation of the ship's ISPS Plan (International Ship and Port Security), where even 95% of crew are not allowed in engineering spaces for security reasons.  The insurance companies also frown on these due to safety measures, as this also violates the ISM (International Safety Management) Code, which requires certain mandated PPE (Personal Protective Equipment, like hard toed shoes, safety glasses, etc) for everyone in the engineering space, regardless of why they are there (like a tour) or who they are (taking a tour).

Thanks.  I now feel quite fortunate and wish I had taken more photos.  We were provided safety glasses and earmuffs.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks sooooo much for sharing - very cool glimpse into an entire world we would never get to experience. 💙🤗🧡

I learned that every crew uniform, with the exception of officers shirts, are made onboard in the Tailor Shop.  The income from the recycling program goes to the crew fund.  The crew has their own rice type.  Storage locker #9 is for flowers and deceased passengers.  The storage locker for liquor has surveillance cameras and very limited access.  Other than Pinnacle-class ships, one one person prepares all of the Room Service hot breakfasts.  There is a photo on the kitchen wall and above the plating line that must be matched before a plate leaves the MDR kitchen.

5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I learned that every crew uniform, with the exception of officers shirts, are made onboard in the Tailor Shop.  The income from the recycling program goes to the crew fund.  The crew has their own rice type.  Storage locker #9 is for flowers and deceased passengers.  The storage locker for liquor has surveillance cameras and very limited access.  Other than Pinnacle-class ships, one one person prepares all of the Room Service hot breakfasts.  There is a photo on the kitchen wall and above the plating line that must be matched before a plate leaves the MDR kitchen.

I noticed the poster of food plates - definitely no culinary background, so I did wonder if that was unique to a galley environment or if larger kitchens in general do that.

Also wondered why so many sewing machines - thought there couldn't possibly be so much repairing to be done - now I know! Just would not have ever thought of them making the uniforms.

That's probably one of those experiences you would pick up something new every time you did it - there's so much to see and learn.

Maybe I'm a dork, but it fascinates me. 🤔

Edited by Haljo1935
Added text

20 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I noticed the poster of food plates - definitely no culinary background, so I did wonder if that was unique to a galley environment or if larger kitchens in general do that.

Amazing that they are required to slop the food on the plates, rather than place the food properly. 
Where did that idea ever come from? 

I've gone thru many restaurants (now a volunteer chef too), never seen food being "slopped" on to the plates. Typically placed in using small utensils according to the plating requirements as shown in the posters. The only thing slopped would be gravy or semi-liquid food that will spread on the plates.

Sample plating and posters are also in use in many land-based restaurants to achieve consistency and visual appeal of plates sent out.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2023 at 10:27 PM, Crew News said:

I did the tour on Zuiderdam. I remember being told about the second purpose of the flower cold storage. When we got to the stores area, and our guide opened the door to oneof the cold storage areas and we were greeted by a waiter holding a tray of champagne glasses. So we sipped while we browsed. 

On Zuiderdam, the tailor shop was far forward, and it was cool to see the curved shape of the hull from inside. 

• Like 1

We were on the Zuiderdam in June and got an invitation to a Bridge tour.  The tour was conducted by a Third Officer, very smart and personable young man (only 22 years old).  It was a port day.  I think there were about a dozen people on the tour.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

We were on the Zuiderdam in June and got an invitation to a Bridge tour.  The tour was conducted by a Third Officer, very smart and personable young man (only 22 years old).  It was a port day.  I think there were about a dozen people on the tour.

It must be a magic number as all of my Behind the Scenes tours were limited to 12.

We did the behind the scenes tour on a Carnival ship post 9/11, pre covid- & were allowed on the bridge.  Very interesting & the view from the bridge was awesome.  On a recent Holland cruise, we watched the "city on the sea"  & we found it interesting.  This made it possible for mobility challenged folks to see what goes on behind the scenes.  Previously anyone who couldn't do the steps or had other issues were denied the opportunity.  Kudos to HAL for making the movie version.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

We did the behind the scenes tour on a Carnival ship post 9/11, pre covid- & were allowed on the bridge.  Very interesting & the view from the bridge was awesome.  On a recent Holland cruise, we watched the "city on the sea"  & we found it interesting.  This made it possible for mobility challenged folks to see what goes on behind the scenes.  Previously anyone who couldn't do the steps or had other issues were denied the opportunity.  Kudos to HAL for making the movie version.

The movie also allows for more people on a cruise to experience the peek behind the scenes.  When you hear tour groups of 12, that can easily be just 2 families.  

• Like 1