First time cruise to Alaska. Feeling overwhelmed making a choice.

jdmaillet

Hey there, 
I haven't cruised in 12 years and have only cruised the Caribbean/Mexico. We've cruised on RC, Carnival, Disney. My husband and I are now retired, kids are grown. My husband has become a duo amputee in the last 8 years and is not hip on flying. He's been a bit depressed and has shown interest in a cruise to Alaska. We live just north of Seattle so it's doable for us. I have an adult daughter who has always wanted to go, so am now trying to plan. We will need an accessible room so I might even be behind.. to be planning Oct. of this year. 
I've researched and read a lot, and my head is spinning. The have to's are it needs to be 7 days, in and out in Seattle. I don't see my husband getting off the ship much, if ever, so he'll be enjoying views from the verandah and mingling with ships passengers/crew. My daughter (and a couple other adult family members) are quite adventurous and will definitely want to do active type shore excursions. I'm reading so many different things. Bigger versus smaller. Older versus newer. I'm surprised by how short the port times are on several different cruises, and wondering about how much you can really do with such a short amount of time. 
I'm hoping for any advice on favorite itineraries, what gave you the most bang for your buck, what ship/sailing you chose for your first Alaska cruise and why. I understand we all have different needs and wants, but I honestly don't know which direction to go in. I appreciate any input!

Thank you,

Jenn

Edited by jdmaillet

Hi!  We booked our first cruise ever to Alaska for May of 2024.  I chose Celebrity Edge because it’s a round trip out of Seattle and has the retreat experience, we want to feel spoiled.  One thing I missed was that Celebrity does not go to Glacier bay.  If I had it to do over again, I might choose one of the itineraries that does.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jdmaillet said:

... We will need an accessible room so I might even be behind.. to be planning Oct. of this year. 
I've researched and read a lot, and my head is spinning. The have to's are it needs to be 7 days, in and out in Seattle. I don't see my husband getting off the ship much, if ever, so he'll be enjoying views from the verandah and mingling with ships passengers/crew. My daughter (and a couple other adult family members) are quite adventurous and will definitely want to do active type shore excursions. ...
I'm hoping for any advice on favorite itineraries, what gave you the most bang for your buck, what ship/sailing you chose for your first Alaska cruise and why. I understand we all have different needs and wants, but I honestly don't know which direction to go in. I appreciate any input!

Thank you,

Jenn

If 'October this year' isn't a mistyping, I would first of all reconsider the date - it clashes with both your husband and daughters likely activities! Significantly more chance of rain/wind/cold rendering sitting on a balcony thoroughly unpleasant, distant scenic views blocked by clouds and rain. etc. etc. Lots of activities, stores, and tour companies will already be closed too.

I'd look into May next year - statistically the driest month in SE Alaska and IMO the best viewing of landscapes (mountains still have lots of snow). It gives you a lot more time too - perhaps engaging your hubbie in the planning would help keep his mood up too?

And while you did say you want an RT out of Seattle, Vancouver really isn't much extra hassle from Mount Vernon, maybe an extra 20miles driving depending exactly where you're going - and next May would be sufficient time to arrange passports (cards would work fine for driving and cruising) or EDLs if the reason for the RT cruise is no current passport. This would make for a significant qualitative improvement over Seattle for DH if he wants to see beautiful scenery - instead of a whole day just floating around far offshore at both ends of your 7 day trip you'd be traveling through narrow, scenic-on-both-sides Inside Passage provided you avoid the Princess Royal Class ships.

I can also point you to some marvelous local amputee/para-/quadriplegic services locally that would enable him to sail on small boats (probably skiing too if you come in May!), if that sort of thing would be of interest? Vancouver is among the most disabled-accessible cities in the world too - no significant hills downtown, every transit bus is RORO, visitors can even use our local paratransit services for the cost of simply filing a form in advance to get door-to-door service anywhere, and even if whatever mobility device he used cannot manage gravel/dirt trails we have many parks and gardens with proper sidewalk/road quality pathways covering big chunks of them.

• Like 4

You didn’t mention your cruise line but I’d bet it’s NCL.  They sail way after other cruise lines have gone elsewhere, have short port times, and the dread Ward Cove in Ketchikan.  Be aware that the weather can be amazingly bad in October and gets worse the later you go.  Can you aim for the last week of September and maybe go with a line that will get you moretime in port?  Rocking around in 50 knot winds and 20 foot seas for half your cruise is not fun.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, jdmaillet said:

Thank you. My husband has pretty severe artery disease and tomorrow just isn't promised, which is why we're moving forward with this year. 

In that case I'd be looking into the earliest possible departure you can get yourself on that doesn't impact his medical care. Getting to Alaska between now and early July maximizes daylight, giving as much time every day as possible to just stare off the balcony at the scenery. August is still going to have long days and probably reasonable weather statistically - this year's long-term forecasts generally indicate warm & dry across the PNW. Wildfire smoke could be a factor at any point until even into October whether you're in Seattle or AK, so unless you can wait until next spring there's nothing to be done on that front except cross fingers! September definitely starts to suffer more from weather, college kids going back home, stores and tours cutting hours and starting to close, and October wasn't even part of cruise season until very recently, it's definitely a sub-optimal choice.

If October was chosen because of low pricing - you'll get even cheaper deals on last-minute cruises as well as having much better potential scenery etc. for DH. This year does seem to be getting back to almost-full ships again, so the lines won't be as desperate to get anyone with a wallet who may spend onboard into cabins at any price but every year since I moved here if you are flexible you can find fares within a few days or weeks that hit rock-bottom. Every time I've actually booked a last-minute fare I have been given an Accessible room too - they're usually never made available for general purchase until close to departure, so unless all such rooms are sold out on a given cruise they are excellent candidates for short-notice bookings. If you have the relevant passports/other WHTI docs to allow a Vancouver departure, you'll have two ports within less than two hours drive that you can check for bargains from and the odds of getting one will increase even more. I'd honestly prioritize date over everything else unless DH has already indicated a specific desire to see a specific place!

If you need DDs help with DH at home and would on the cruise too, her work flexibility etc. may make a short-notice cruise impossible of course - but if just you & DH would be able to cruise without her, then frankly the sooner the better even if DD can't accompany you at short-notice.

I've done a lot of palliative care volunteering over the years, primarily on the bereavement/family support side, and literal 'bucket list' things are always challenging when there are other family members, maybe with kids of their own to care for too, but one of the most effective tools I found to help those feelings of guilt from the primary caregivers about trying to balance what's best for the patient against the rest of their loved ones is to adopt the (pardon my French!) 'Sh*t flows outward' principle. Draw three concentric circles, with DH alone in the middle one. Next circle is you and any other primary caregivers. Last circle is the folks who sometimes help DH, or who help you rather than him fairly often. Outside the circles go the folks who care but are not able to help directly or regularly.

In the plainest English I can manage - DH gets to vent to anyone; you and other Circle 2 folks can reciprocally vent to each other, or to Circle 3 and Outsiders; Circle 3 vents among themselves or to the outsiders. Nobody complains at anyone in a smaller circle as they have more of their own sh*t to worry about. So if you could take Cruise X on July 1st, but that would annoy family who expect you to go round for a BBQ on July 4th because 'tradition' for example - tough noogies, they're outside your circle and DHs, your needs trump their wants, no guilt!

If these last couple of paras offend in any way, if I'm overstepping, apologies - but in my experience having someone in a relevant position simply give you permission to be just a bit bl**dy selfish makes for a potentially huge mental improvement to care-givers.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

If daughter and other adult family members are not going with express purpose to help with you and your husband leave them out of your planning and let them plan their own trip. Then you don't care about short in port times.  I also urge you to reconsider Oct. Also make sure you add cancel for any reason trip insurance and check on your health insurance coverage on the trip if something bad were to happen. I recommend passports in case you need to fly back from any AK cities. We like Holland America but they don't even go in Sept that I could find. 

• Like 3

Thank you for your thoughtful responses, and I appreciate the input and am not offended by anything said, especially from someone who spent a lot of time in palliative care. This has truly all been a tough road. Also, it's been years since I've been on this board, and I'm not finding where I can reply to a specific response so just responding generally!

So, my adult daughter just moved to NH from Boston where she was going to law school. Met a very nice guy and is planning to stay there until she gets some experience under her belt. She started a job for the state of Massachusetts a month ago... a job that took her a year to find, because she wants to work mostly virtual so she can travel back and forth to see her Dad. So, the earliest she can take a week off is Sept. So, we could push it up to September, even early Sept. She is the one who has been wanting to go on an Alaska cruise for years, while the rest of us, including my husband ho hummed it. Give us palm trees and steel drums any day. That said, I think he's showing interest because it means so much to her. He misses her terribly and when she does come home, which is frequently... she's working a lot (has bartending and waitressing jobs to keep her afloat while she was trying to find attorney jobs... lol. So, while we could go without her, and she being the very kind and generous person she is, would totally encourage that, I think I can say with certainty that neither one of us would want too. Spending time with her is a big part of this for us.

Your responses have given me a lot to think about as I didn't realize the weather in Oct would be so bad. It's also encouraging to hear about the accessible rooms availability. Money does not play a role in the time of year, I was just trying to push it out as far as I could for daughter's work situation. 

Would early September be a bit better? I know there is no crystal ball here on weather, but generally?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jdmaillet said:

Thank you for your thoughtful responses, and I appreciate the input and am not offended by anything said, especially from someone who spent a lot of time in palliative care. This has truly all been a tough road. Also, it's been years since I've been on this board, and I'm not finding where I can reply to a specific response so just responding generally!

So, my adult daughter just moved to NH from Boston where she was going to law school. Met a very nice guy and is planning to stay there until she gets some experience under her belt. She started a job for the state of Massachusetts a month ago... a job that took her a year to find, because she wants to work mostly virtual so she can travel back and forth to see her Dad. So, the earliest she can take a week off is Sept. So, we could push it up to September, even early Sept. She is the one who has been wanting to go on an Alaska cruise for years, while the rest of us, including my husband ho hummed it. Give us palm trees and steel drums any day. That said, I think he's showing interest because it means so much to her. He misses her terribly and when she does come home, which is frequently... she's working a lot (has bartending and waitressing jobs to keep her afloat while she was trying to find attorney jobs... lol. So, while we could go without her, and she being the very kind and generous person she is, would totally encourage that, I think I can say with certainty that neither one of us would want too. Spending time with her is a big part of this for us.

Your responses have given me a lot to think about as I didn't realize the weather in Oct would be so bad. It's also encouraging to hear about the accessible rooms availability. Money does not play a role in the time of year, I was just trying to push it out as far as I could for daughter's work situation. 

Would early September be a bit better? I know there is no crystal ball here on weather, but generally?

Yes, I believe earlier (as in September )would be better.  When we chose, we were deciding between May and September.  We wanted to miss the school kids so avoided the summer months.  

15 minutes ago, jdmaillet said:

Absolutely - the not-entirely-jokey 'Canadian Summer' (Victoria Day to Labour Day) also applies well to SE Alaska as a good rule of thumb. Within this timeframe most stuff is open, and while weather is inherently changeable should be, on average, good enough to enjoy the outdoors. When it comes to the shoulder season, literally every week earlier or later you book makes a difference - check out the sunrise/sunset times for Sep in Juneau here... the sun sets almost an hour and a half earlier on the 30th compared to the 1st!

By the sounds of it, with this being initially driven by DD and perhaps a last chance for a family vacation, leaving DD behind would make things less enjoyable for DH so forget everything said about ditching her! With her starting up a career in law, for MA state, she has a lifetime of good benefits and escalating vacation time to look forward to so I would be inclined to suggest that on this trip she be encouraged to book more gentle activities that everyone can partake in for maximal family time - trust me (and everyone else who posts here!) when I say that once she's visited this will not be a 'one and done', she'll be back... with perhaps her own DH for their honeymoon before too long!

Although if ISP is one of the ports, the classic 'less daredevil' option for family and friends is to wait at the bottom of the Zipline for the folks who are mad enough to do it to come zooming down over your heads!!! Pretty flat paths, even being pushed on a manual wheelchair I think you could easily get DH situated there to enjoy.

As to CC - if it's been a while you might have missed the last major upgrade when MANY things changed! Just clicking Quote under the post you want to reply to, or MultiQuote (then click all the posts you want to reply to) will copy them into your response - you can also 'tag' people by typing @ and then their CC handle - it even pulls up a list of possible names to select so you rarely have to type more than the first few letters.

Edited by martincath

I am rather late in the discussion, but as someone who actually lives in Alaska, and has been in Southeast Alaska on both business and on cruises, definitely try to avoid October.  The chances of better weather in September (the earlier the better) is much more in your favor than October.

And while I prefer the Alaska itineraries departing from Vancouver over Seattle Canada Place (the Vancouver cruise terminal) embarkations can be difficult.  Is your husband in a wheelchair (I assume he is)?  Canada Place has a reputation for long lines, and there is some going up and down on escalators, so you would need to find the elevators (there are employees to help).  We have embarked and disembarked at both of Seattle cruise terminals, and my experience is that while there are escalators/elevators the process is smoother at the Seattle terminals.  A frequent Cruise Critic poster works at Seattle's Pier 91 and she may insight as to what cruise line has the most efficient embarkation process.

I hope you are working with a good travel agent.  Since accessible staterooms are generally held until close the final payment dates they should be able to locate one.  That may determine the cruise line you use.

• Like 1

The gondola in ISP looks nice that may work to take husband up to top and let daughter come down via zip line while you two come back down without getting off. I have not been to ISP since they added the gondola. Check youtube to view excursions. After your update make sure you plan for daughter. Sept makes huge difference. Here are some webviews of Juneau and ISP. TheSnowCloud Juneau area Webcams

• Like 1

Surprisingly, there is usually a dip in the number of bookings during the 3rd and 4th week of August, as families get ready for school, and the older 'shoulder season' folks wait until Labor Day and September to cruise.  You might consider looking at late August and see if you can get an ADA stateroom.

As for NCL, I would avoid the huge ships (Bliss and Encore), as it could be taxing dealing with the distance from your stateroom to the dining room, and the other common areas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Surprisingly, there is usually a dip in the number of bookings during the 3rd and 4th week of August, as families get ready for school, and the older 'shoulder season' folks wait until Labor Day and September to cruise.  You might consider looking at late August and see if you can get an ADA stateroom.

As for NCL, I would avoid the huge ships (Bliss and Encore), as it could be taxing dealing with the distance from your stateroom to the dining room, and the other common areas.

Our schools start mid-August.

@jdmaillet I agree with others - I would definitely try to choose August over September and October! I would never go in October. Unless it was free and I wasn't working. Then I would consider it.

Having had a disabled parent, older and smaller worked. I did all the lines with her except for NCL. Princess was the best as far as working with her disability. RCCL and Celebrity were the worst.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jdmaillet said:

I don't see my husband getting off the ship much, if ever, so he'll be enjoying views from the verandah and mingling with ships passengers/crew.

Given this statement, I would suggest you choose a line that focuses on great service (which usually means an engaging and friendly crew) and offers a good variety of on-board entertainment/enrichment activities. We really enjoyed the naturalist lectures on our recent AK cruise (Celebrity Eclipse) despite the fact that we were off doing active excursions at every port. Also, do a little research in terms of general passenger profiles on various lines and ships to make sure your DH will find plenty of likeminded fellow passengers on board. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coral said:

Our schools start mid-August.

Thank you, this is great info. I have heard from various sources that Princess is really great with working with a disabled passenger. He is in a motorized wheel chair and is fairly independent overall, but I am educating myself on who would be the best line. 

\

@jdmaillet I agree with others - I would definitely try to choose August over September and October! I would never go in October. Unless it was free and I wasn't working. Then I would consider it.

Having had a disabled parent, older and smaller worked. I did all the lines with her except for NCL. Princess was the best as far as working with her disability. RCCL and Celebrity were the worst.

17 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I will definitely look at that time frame. I talked with my daughter this morning, and she said she can be flexible. 

• Like 1

Princess is one of the lines that go to Glacier Bay I believe.  Don’t mean to harp on that, but I believe it would be a glacier viewing opportunity directly from the ship.  (Correct me if I’m wrong oh wise CC community) 

• Like 2

Again, thank you to everyone for all the great info. I'm trying to respond individually but clearly, I'm just not doing it right. Can't figure it out. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. 

3 minutes ago, jdmaillet said:

Again, thank you to everyone for all the great info. I'm trying to respond individually but clearly, I'm just not doing it right. Can't figure it out. I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. 

I hit the blue word “quote” at the bottom of the post I want to respond to then click into and type in the white area below their post when it comes up.  Hope that helps. 😊

Edited by Octavias
Spelling
  • Like 3

Agree with @Octavias a sailing with Princess in Glacier Bay would be a delight for both your DH and DD! It's gorgeous scenery and a super special way for all of you to spend the day together! They have blankets and hot cocoa available top deck. Princess has amazing speakers and naturalists. 

I've sailed the first week of September and had wonderful weather. Not a guarantee as you already know but the foliage in the Yukon was spectacular! 

Patty 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Octavias said:

I hit the blue word “quote” at the bottom of the post I want to respond to then click into and type in the white area below their post when it comes up.  Hope that helps. 😊

Okay, test! Thank you 🙂 

• Like 3

My thoughts:

For someone who has a hard time getting around, and might not get off in port, the NCL ships Bliss and Encore have 2 things going for them that are not on other ships. 

The Observation lounge, at the front of deck 15.   It is a large open area with comfy chairs, a nice bar, and small buffet areas for continental breakfast and afternoon snacks.  Per the name, it has full height windows throughout, great for watching everything when colder and windy.  It does get crowded if the ship is full.

Deck 8 has the Oceanfront, a 3/4 covered walk around that has couches and wind breaks, and a few bars, if the weather is cooperative.  A nice place for morning walks or sitting around (weather dependent).  Warm clothes certainly help.   

I agree the later in the year, the lesser experience.  Also factor in loss of sunlight with shorter days, so shorter dock times won't feel like you are missing something.

For Ward Cove, (which has shorter dock times and a shuttle into Ketchikan) I would use a ship sponsored excursion.  We did the Glacier Lake and Jeep tour and thought it was great, although that was thru Princess last year.   It was actually north of Ward Cove, so we were bussed from Ketchikan.  It is not for handicapped however, but your daughter and friend might like it.

In Oct whale watching might be in decline, they start heading south about then.  Salmon runs are over by then also, I believe. 

Day 6 coming back towards Seattle has been rough seas the 3 times I have cruised (Late Aug, early Sep)  Just a heads up.

All modern ships have access to MDR's and elevators.  To me, the newer the ship the more likely it will be set up for handicap issues.  Most will also have on board scooters for use by request.

7 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

All modern ships have access to MDR's and elevators.  To me, the newer the ship the more likely it will be set up for handicap issues.  Most will also have on board scooters for use by request.

I haven't sailed NCL but most lines I am aware of, scooters must be requested in advance by a 3rd party company that will put the scooter on the ship. It is a rental agreement between person and rental company that the cruise lines work with.