Is Royal Caribbean building any small ships?

On 6/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, latebuyer said:

I hope ports force them too by not accepting these mega ships to dock there. I know this is an unfavorable opinion but they are too big and overwhelm the port.

It’s a two - sided sword, as the bigger the ship the bigger the financial boost for the local economy.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

It’s a two - sided sword, as the bigger the ship the bigger the financial boost for the local economy.  

But if two 'smaller ships' dock at the same port, they get the same financial boost for the local economy. I vote for the two smaller ships scenario.

2 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

It may be a financial boost for some businesses but it may be a negative to other businesses and a negative to the quality of life. Some ports of late have been rejecting larger cruise ships or cruise ships altogether.  Then there is the fact that many ports will never be accessible to larger ships. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I guess so but I'm not sure I see them putting brand new ships into secondary markets

Well there is Vancouver and the Alaska market. Building new ships that could sail out of Baltimore, Tampa and Vancouver would require some long term thinking. Perhaps Royal would rather leave those markets. It is a business decision. If they leave Baltimore and Tampa there is the risk another company might swoop in to those markets. 

The new Oasis class ship is going to do 3 and 4 day cruises. Perhaps they are running out of ports for Oasis class. The 3 and 4 day cruises means they can double up. 

16 hours ago, Cruisin4beaches said:

I too love smaller ships. Love to know my crew and fellow pax. Wanted to try Oceana but now that NCL owns them I will not sail as I won't give 1 penny to NCL.

NCL and Oceana are owned by a holding company. NCHL. So NCL does not own Oceania. I have been on both and the difference between them is huge. They are operated separately. I am not a fan of NCL but I like Oceania.

Scale of economics. It's not economical to scale down in the cruise industry. Smaller ships mean smaller profit and thanks to 2021 cruise lines have scrapped a lot of smaller ships. Carnival I think lead the pack in that. One day we will see the Oasis class ships as a "smaller ship". I agree, I'm no fan of mega cruise ships, but oddly enough I looked at the Freedom class ships as a "mega ship", when it came out, and now I look at them as just a large ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 95south said:

One day we will see the Oasis class ships as a "smaller ship". I agree,

Oasis class won't be a smaller ship. There won't be the ports to take much larger than Oasis or Icon class. Many ports can't take Oasis class size. It is not just the dock size, harbor size and the ship channels, bridges they have to go under will cap size. There also would be safety issue if there had to be an evacuation. . . 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 8:56 AM, AC Stew said:

Fine looking young guys! I'm guessing that this pic was taken on the formerly formal, now "dressier" night? It's painfully obvious that a whole lot of grown-up boys could/should take a lesson here!

Thank you! 

Yes this was the formal night but funny thing- they insisted on wearing the suits every night 😄 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, Lloyd555 said:

They managed to write an entire article based simply on one captain having "Project Discovery" in his company bio. Impressive.

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:29 PM, Charles4515 said:

Well there is Vancouver and the Alaska market. Building new ships that could sail out of Baltimore, Tampa and Vancouver would require some long term thinking. Perhaps Royal would rather leave those markets. It is a business decision. If they leave Baltimore and Tampa there is the risk another company might swoop in to those markets. 

The new Oasis class ship is going to do 3 and 4 day cruises. Perhaps they are running out of ports for Oasis class. The 3 and 4 day cruises means they can double up. 

Vancouver is not an issue Princess runs the Discovery, and the and Edge will be running some out of Vancouver next year. Seems like you could make  a ship similar in size to the Edge just maybe 2 decks shorter to fit under the bridges.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Wrong,  you really should have read the comments in this thread before answering  

I think I'm in the I'll believe it when I see it category. I think the large ships make so much money, I can't imagine them making a smaller ship where they can charge enough to make it worth it for royalcaribbean.  Maybe celebrity. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think I'm in the I'll believe it when I see it category. I think the large ships make so much money, I can't imagine them making a smaller ship where they can charge enough to make it worth it for royalcaribbean.  Maybe celebrity. 

They have to have a class of shops to replace Vision amd Radiance class.  It will happen. 

50 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

As long as they have home ports and destinations that can't take Oasis+ ships then there will be a need for smaller ships. But even the Discovery rumors aren't for "small" ships.  We're not that far removed from the most recent Quantum ship which isn't much bigger than Discovery is rumored to be.