Cruise Ships Aust Covid Rules

Hi Was just wondering what peoples views are on when all the covid isolation and test rules could end for cruise ships in Australia..

I am not against the rules by any means but seeing in most parts of the world now on cruises there aren't  any restrictions to isolate etc if you test positive. Surely the rules can't  go on forever.This is mainly curiosity  on what others think

Thanks Zanny

Not an opinion from me. I can take it or leave it. I can comply with the current rules and don't find any of this onerous. The status quo is in play until at least the end of August. The double vaxx for 12yrs and over is still required. It might be under review for a change at the end of August, but it could also go on indefinitely. The restrictions are held in place by public servants, not politicians, so will be removed via risk assessment and not via any lobbying or pressure.

It appears that the protocols have already dropped a mandate for pre-cruise testing, but it is still the easiest way for the cruise lines to comply with passenger screening. When they lift any blanket requirement for pre-cruise testing or cabin isolation, they will also remove any compensation should the ship doctor place you in isolation. The ship medical team has been able to enforce cabin isolation since way back before covid.

• Like 3

Hi, from a very selfish viewpoint, I'd be more than happy to see the rules relaxed. Will be cruising for 7 nights in a four berth cabin in November, it will be disappointing if one of the two young people pick up covid and we all have to isolate in the cabin, especially when so often in families  those closest to the patient often don't catch their covid. I understand non infected people can go to the buffet and collect food to take to the cabin, but it would still be disappointing. As I said at the start, from my own selfish viewpoint 🤔

1 minute ago, Jean C said:

Hi, from a very selfish viewpoint, I'd be more than happy to see the rules relaxed. Will be cruising for 7 nights in a four berth cabin in November, it will be disappointing if one of the two young people pick up covid and we all have to isolate in the cabin, especially when so often in families  those closest to the patient often don't catch their covid. I understand non infected people can go to the buffet and collect food to take to the cabin, but it would still be disappointing. As I said at the start, from my own selfish viewpoint 🤔

I can understand your disappointment, as I'd hate to be confined to a four berth cabin.  But on the other hand, I'd hate to be responsible for spreading Covid to vulnerable people.  My doctor said this week that Covid is still around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Look at it from the other side - how would you feel if you caught Covid from someone who would previously been required to isolate? 

Oh, silly me, there are already plenty of those people wandering around the ships already. They are the ones who don't report their symptoms and who insist 'it's just a cold"!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

When they lift any blanket requirement for pre-cruise testing or cabin isolation, they will also remove any compensation should the ship doctor place you in isolation. The ship medical team has been able to enforce cabin isolation since way back before covid.

Personally, I don’t mind if they keep the current protocols, because those current compensation promises suit me. For the 5 cruises I have done in the last year I have been happy to rely on an annual travel insurance policy that was cheap because the only covid coverage it included was covid medical, not cancellation etc.  If the protocols and compensation change then I will need to purchase more expensive insurance for my future cruises.

• Like 3

To add to above, the testing mandate is still in place for the instrument that controls this, the Eastern Seaboard and Western Australian Cruise Protocols. It just no longer appears to be driven by the national framework.

• Like 1

I suppose because I'm vaxxed up to the hilt, the protocols aren't worrying me and pre cruise testing is not onerous. Just from my personal standpoint.

I have friends who are keen to cruise again, but they are unvaxxed - their choice. I feel for them, but they would be very vulnerable if the protocols were lifted and they went on board.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We will be watching this.  Hoping all this testing and requirements are gone by the first of the year.  

Me too, I have a husband who is un vaxed (his choice) so I cruised with a friend earlier in the year but have booked cruises next year.

To be honest it’s 2 years almost when I and most others had vaccinations and if you haven’t had a booster (no requirement) I can’t see how the vaccines are working and let’s face it everyone on the ship have been vaccinated and many are still getting it could be people are not honest about their status.

Cheers Carole

On 6/14/2023 at 12:42 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Look at it from the other side - how would you feel if you caught Covid from someone who would previously been required to isolate? 

Oh, silly me, there are already plenty of those people wandering around the ships already. They are the ones who don't report their symptoms and who insist 'it's just a cold"!

I fully appreciate what you are saying - I merely stated my preference for seeing an end to the current rules. FYI, regardless of the rules, I'm fully vaxed and will get a further 5th booster a couple of months prior to sailing so I'm protecting myself and everyone I come into contact with as far as I possibly can.  Also FYI, whenever I cruise I pick up on board whatever cough/cold bugs that are going around, so I know how people feel. I'm just trying to express the disappointment of having to isolate should a cabin mate test positive for covid while you yourself don't test positive. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jean C said:

I'm just trying to express the disappointment of having to isolate should a cabin mate test positive for covid while you yourself don't test positive. 

The close contact/travel party isolation has long gone. Now, you would test daily and if you remain negative, you are free to leave your cabin and move around much of the ship. There are some caveats around that ATM, but it is only those that test positive and cabin contacts who display symptoms that are required to isolate in cabin. This sort of pragmatic approach will still remain after testing and vaxx mandates are lifted.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The close contact/travel party isolation has long gone. Now, you would test daily and if you remain negative, you are free to leave your cabin and move around much of the ship. There are some caveats around that ATM, but it is only those that test positive and cabin contacts who display symptoms that are required to isolate in cabin. This sort of pragmatic approach will still remain after testing and vaxx mandates are lifted.

Thanks for the update, worth knowing 🙂

58 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Thanks arxcards - Glad about this update. Partner & I are fully vaxed & boostered - (5 all up now), Plus Flu & Tetnus. etc. I have worked in health & even though my partner &  I have been okay (no symptoms that I was ever aware of)  -  I have seen others who have been vaxed that have had symptoms ranging very mild to more complex. Anyway, in the meantime, just do whatever to keep healthy. 😍

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

But you can't sit and eat in any of the dining areas nor sit and have a drink at any of the bars. You can get food from the buffet and take it back to your cabin.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But you can't sit and eat in any of the dining areas nor sit and have a drink at any of the bars. You can get food from the buffet and take it back to your cabin.

Yep, and theatre I presume. It differs a bit from line to line, but at least you can get out on deck and feel the breeze in your hair.

• Like 2

The other thing to consider is that if too many people are wandering around the ship who are infectious (and remember people can be infectious before they develop symptoms) then there is a higher risk of crew catching it.

If too many crew catch it then services get affected.

If too many senior crew catch it there is a risk the cruise would have to make for the nearest port and stay there until there are sufficient healthy senior crew to man the ship again.

Coral Princess reached the services affected stage on the Round Australia cruise last year.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ozdevil said:

well  theres that saying if you dont test you dont have it

Hahaha, I've done plenty of tests when the family are sick, and to cruise, and to the best of my knowledge I've never had covid 😇

7 hours ago, ozdevil said:

well  theres that saying if you dont test you dont have it

But if somebody in your cabin was positive, testing of other cabin members wouldn't be optional, it would be a cruise ship requirement.

I don't just test willy-nilly in regular life but  I do when it is a requirement - for example visiting nursing homes.

• Like 1

When I had Covid on Coral Princess last year my husband had to test every day and report the negative result to the Medical Centre. He could then leave the cabin if he wished but had to return to the cabin for meals and drinks. He could get stuff from the buffet and bring it back to the cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies I was just interested how long people think this will go on for. I have had 5 covid jabs and also still wear a mask and face shield everytime I go out in public still.

Regards Zanny

42 minutes ago, Haoie said:

Are they still actively checking for proof of a negative RAT on check in? I've read it's barely enforced.

You are asked to verbally confirm you have a negative RAT. Then they do random checks on the proofs. 

I haven't heard anything about what happens if someone can't produce the required proof on request though.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ