Formal or not?? (rant)

I have been so in favour of retaining the formal nights and was looking forward to 2 evenings wearing my lovely purple dress. Today with less than 2 weeks to go an email arrives saying the 2nd formal is white and gold. No British adult I have ever met would ever go for a night out in white and gold so for many (most?) this would now entail frantic online shopping. My point is that if the existing dress can only be worn once there isn't a lot of point in it taking up space and this could herald the end of many of us bothering which would be sad.

• Like 1

I think you'll find lots of people won't stick to the white and gold theme. Think of the folks who never check their email or that email goes to the junk folder. You're good...wear the purple dress. 😄

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I have been so in favour of retaining the formal nights and was looking forward to 2 evenings wearing my lovely purple dress. Today with less than 2 weeks to go an email arrives saying the 2nd formal is white and gold. No British adult I have ever met would ever go for a night out in white and gold so for many (most?) this would now entail frantic online shopping. My point is that if the existing dress can only be worn once there isn't a lot of point in it taking up space and this could herald the end of many of us bothering which would be sad.

We’ve been on a lot of PCL cruises since the restart and “Very Few” guests dressed in white and gold.  Don’t think about it, wear your purple dress!  No worries!

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, bassmk said:

I think you'll find lots of people won't stick to the white and gold theme. Think of the folks who never check their email or that email goes to the junk folder. You're good...wear the purple dress. 😄

I only read the email because someone on Facebook mentioned it! Just annoyed that if they had said this months ago I would happily have ordered something! 

I agree with DarkKinight - be a rebel! 

I have zero intention of wearing white and gold as I have always been terrible about following directions and doing what I am told. 😛 Besides, wouldn’t a theme night tied to blue make more sense as it is one of Princess’s primary logo colours? 

Edited by BobAnne
  • Like 1

I was on Majestic Princess a month ago and had zero knowledge of the white and gold theme, until I saw the description for the "The Love Boat Piazza Party" in the app (on the same day).

I don't think any of the other passengers knew (or cared) either, because it looked like any other formal night during dinner and the piazza party color theme was non-existent among the attendees. Only the cruise staff wore white and gold.

In other words, don't waste your time worrying about it. You won't feel out of place or underdressed. It's a non-issue.

Edited by MLBFan24
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobAnne said:

I agree with DarkKinight - be a rebel! 

I have zero intention of wearing white and gold as I have always been terrible about following directions and what I am told. 😛 Besides, would’ve a theme night tied to blue make more sense as it is one of Princess’s primary logo colours? 

Or even a 4th of July night! (said as a USA loving Brit!)

Just now, darknightsdespiser said:

And it is always good to be rebellious!😅

Only hope everyone wears white and gold.  You and your dress will stand out like a shining star.   The envy of everyone at dinner. 😊 You better take it with you. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I only read the email because someone on Facebook mentioned it! Just annoyed that if they had said this months ago I would happily have ordered something! 

Please come back after your cruise and let us know if anyone dressed in White and Gold.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

Wear your lovely purple dress. The theme for the evening is white & gold . nobody has to dress in those colors .

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I’m loving the sound of that purple dress! 😃 

I’m also a Brit and I won’t be wearing white & gold. I can’t pull that off. I’m pale enough as it is 😂 

maybe we can get some white and/or gold accessories. I’m not bothered though. I’ve seen many on here saying they won’t bother with white & gold but will still dress up.

also sharing a picture someone else posted on another formal night thread. I think somone was asking for ideas…. Made me giggle 🤭

IMG_1080.jpeg.f979c82411433c56721e52507f01ede9.jpeg 

• Haha 3

On our recent Sky cruise there was mention that the second formal would be "white and gold" only to find on the app that the "white and gold" night was the last night of the cruise!! We had the three formal nights that were announced prior to the cruise and the "white and gold" still took place on the last night with about three passengers participating.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

You won't be rebellious.  Maybe 5 people will do the white and gold.  Who looks good in white?  So ridiculous.

Funny, I’m wearing white both formal nights and I think I look fab….to be fair, my “white and gold” dress is really “white and silver” but if you’re looking that closely you better be related. 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I heard about white and gold night here on the boards. I wasn't going to stress, went to Ross and actually found a nice gold and black top I would wear again and a pair of new with tags lined off white slacks at the thrift store. But, if I hadn't found these quickly, I wasn't going to go from store to store. Fast forward to the cruise.....I saw just a few more people wearing  white and gold, it was a full ship with maybe 10 people in those colors. Just wear your purple dress, you won't be out of place. 

• Like 1

The white and gold theme they've been trying to shoehorn into the schedule based on the sort-of-new (not really) Love Boat Piazza Party thing is completely irrelevant and unnecessary because they haven't actually been trying to make it a real, genuine occasion to partake in. This is in sharp contrast to what Carnival and MSC have done, as they have robust deck/dance parties based on the white theme, and a lot of people actually get into it.

Don't get too wound up about it. No one is patrolling nor will there be any massive trend that you'll have to worry about not following. It's still just a cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JG&Lcruisingnewbies said:

also sharing a picture someone else posted on another formal night thread. I think somone was asking for ideas…. Made me giggle 🤭

IMG_1080.jpeg.f979c82411433c56721e52507f01ede9.jpeg 

Bare feet are not allowed in the Dining Room or even the Buffet.  (How do I know?)  For these outfits, sandals with long wraps up the legs.

4 hours ago, MLBFan24 said:

I was on Majestic Princess a month ago and had zero knowledge of the white and gold theme, until I saw the description for the "The Love Boat Piazza Party" in the app (on the same day).

I will deliberately misread this as a "Pizza Party" and then I will bi+ch and complain when there is no pizza!  But there is no way I will wear white and/or gold for the "event."  And I will only attend the "event" looking for pizza.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2